Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wrapped the front and rear bowties with VViViD Commercial Graphics, XPO series, "Carbon Fiber" vinyl. Bought from Amazon for about $8 for two sheets of vinyl. This was enough to do both bowties and have a little (4x4") left over. Was not too difficult.
This was my first time doing ANY type of wrap, so I documented what I did.
Explanations are in the attached pictures.

Cheers, Carl

Attachments

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur, top secret can't say anything about another one
6,787 Posts
That looks good. I like the carbon fiber look. I have been thinking about doing some on my truck but its getting to be driving time now. Maybe that will be next years upgrade

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Nice job, Carl.

Taking the bow ties off the truck allows for much more manipulation of the vinyl and, with the help of the heat gun, you can work all the edges and corners into place for a one piece, seamless job. The wrap vinyl will stretch, shrink and mold into place so you don't have to deal with touching up the corners.

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice job, Carl.

Taking the bow ties off the truck allows for much more manipulation of the vinyl and, with the help of the heat gun, you can work all the edges and corners into place for a one piece, seamless job. The wrap vinyl will stretch, shrink and mold into place so you don't have to deal with touching up the corners.
Wizzr, thanks for the note, yes, I'm sure I cut the vinyl closer to the front edge than I needed to; should have made the cut just beyond where the rear corner is located. Would still have allowed the vinyl to lay flat without exposing the inner corners. The vinyl does get quite soft with the heat gun, but I'm not experienced enough to trust how much stretch to put on the vinyl without risking it wanting to shrink/pull back out of the corners, or damaging it. I sure didn't want to take the bowties off to get the job done ... I'm lazy that way - HA! I'm liking the look, will find out how well the vinyl holds up to the Florida heat and humidity.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Yeah, the wrap vinyl is unlike other traditional vinyl products. People who haven't dealt with it will think they need to cut it to fit angles and corners like regular vinyl. But that's not usually the case as it can form around most anything. That stuff is so flexible that you can wad it up in a ball and then, with time and patience, flatten it all out and install it on a surface and no one would ever know. Amazing stuff. Again, for your first stab, you get a thumbs up. Now go tackle a bigger project!!

·
Registered
2005 yellow over black. 😎
265 Posts
Looks great. Good job Carl. And thanks for the pictures. My door handles will need replacing at some point and I now have a better understanding of what they are wrapped in. ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts