Chevy SSR Forum banner

Boyd Coddington Custom SSR

4K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  chuckbutcher 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
If anyone is interested and wants a third party to check this one out, let me know. It is pretty close to me and could use an excuse to go see it :seeya

Not in the SSR today and was wondering if those are the stock tire sizes?

#5 ·
I love the look. Sometimes, as the saying goes, less is more. In this case, less rules. Fantastic job Boyd! The 21K price is not the price. There is a reserve on this baby and I am sure it will go for quite a bit more or not sell. Sure wish I knew what the reserve is on it. Those Boyd coddington wheels are sweet!

#6 ·
I love the look. Sometimes, as the saying goes, less is more. In this case, less rules. Fantastic job Boyd! The 21K price is not the price. There is a reserve on this baby and I am sure it will go for quite a bit more or not sell. Sure wish I knew what the reserve is on it. Those Boyd coddington wheels are sweet!

It is under $39,900 Look at the buy it now

#8 ·
I looked at this SSR few weeks ago at Don Davis Dealership... he has 8 or 9 stores in Dfw area...the story was that SSR was Don's personal car and they had no idea what Boyd had done...I made a few call and boyd did the paint and wheels which are the oem size...they where asking 39.9k for it...I offered them 30k since i had deal on a show room new SSR for 31k... I figured i can do the paint and wheels and super-charger and be very close to 40k.....The suzuki store must bought it at the dealer auctin or something like that...

G
#11 ·
After watching American Hot Rod, not sure that I would buy a car or truck that came from his shop. His wheels are probably great, but the weekly shows are filled with poor planning and workmanship - accented with lots of bondo filler before painting.

#13 ·
Weld And Grind

whtroyer said:
After watching American Hot Rod, not sure that I would buy a car or truck that came from his shop. His wheels are probably great, but the weekly shows are filled with poor planning and workmanship - accented with lots of bondo filler before painting.
:agree
Looks like a weld and grind shop , (poor welding and even grinding steering arms trying to make them fit the spindle , only to find they were trying to install them wrong)

#14 ·

LOL it is a TV show, Look at what they do on American choper but go to a custom show and you can see the real workmanship, Is the SSR a deal, Stick a supercharge on it and you have a real show and go for less than most gave for their stockers

#17 ·
#21 · (Edited)
The guy (sorry didn't get his name) at the Autorama said he originally bought codyinton wheels and they weren't cheap but when he got them they looked like crap, with welds showing and just shoddy workmanship and he sent them back and bought the ones he has now from Ultra ? I think thats the company they are stock sizes. I haven't got the camera phone figured out yet but I have pictures to upload as soon as I do.

G
#22 ·
"The guy (sorry didn't get his name) at the Autorama said he originally bought codyinton wheels and they were cheap but when he got them they looked like crap, with welds showing and just shoddy workmanship and he sent them back and bought the ones he has now from Ultra ?"

Again, after watching the show, I am not surprised.

G
#23 ·
I like hot rods, and I will admit I like watching American Hot Rod....but I will never buy any Boyd Coddington's wheels or anything else of his for that matter. He seems to be a schmuck and an jerk when it comes to his workers. I am very glad that Charlie the painter left his shop and is working for Chip Foose now.

#24 ·
mnkybars - Ditto!

Coddington is a talented guy, but his staff is not happy most of the time - I would not want that aired on TV. Being in the same industry, i can relate to most of it. I love the show!! The Shop drama and humor is the funniest.

Charlie will be more appreciated with Foose i think - What 'bout Blue Bear tho' LOL - that kid got away with a bit much sometimes - I mighta smacked him myself if I were there!!

I like most of Boyds concepts and finished designs, I am always interested in what he brings next! I just wish they were able to better plan for their staff and the time required. Its happened to us plenty of times with show cars and its tough all around.

#26 ·
:rant
I realize much of what we see is for "dramatic effect", and it is an entertaining show. But I would expect a vehicle in this price range to have a lot more engineering, craftsmanship, and all that other good stuff.

Boyd's involvement seems to be limited to three basic steps:
1. Accept projects with ridiculous completion schedules
2. Hold tantrum throwing meetings to coerce low moral employees into working through thier weekends in order to meet the ridiculous schedules - (see#1 above)
3. Bask in the glory when the grossly overpriced vehicle is rushed to it's unveiling with paint that has to be still tacky!

Charlie definitely made the right choice to leave. He was the only competent guy in the whole shop. I have much more respect for Chip Foose and his work. He can do everything from drawing/designing to cutting and welding to painting, and often helps do some of the actual work. Yes, yes, I know Boyd did finally do something - he painted the 63 Stingray - simply because he couldn't find a painter willing to work for him. But you notice they didn't show how many runs or how much orange peel the thing had after he was done! I personally wouldn't even go there for an oil change, which is all they should be allowed to do to anyone's car!!

Sorry for getting so worked up, but I feel better now..... :cool

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.