Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, im deciding on boyd coddington smoothie II wheels but here is what i am stuck on. i am gonna go with the 20x10's in the rear but he doesnt have any in 19's. i thought about 18x8 and it might give it a more classy look to it...smaller wheels in the front vs the bigger meats in the rear.

can any of u guys give me info whether this would be a good way to run? i am going to lower the car with a spring kit (probably ground force) but i am worried about stability while driving.

on my old 89 mustang GT, i did something silly. i had weld draglites 15x10's in the rear and 15x3.5's in the front (drag strip style) and i drove around like that. it looked mean as hell and i had no issues driving despite the fact i shouldnt have done that. i am thinking that i should have no issues going to an 18 in the front?
i really like these smoothie 2 wheels and want to get some.

·
Premium Member
9,353 Posts
Several Fanatics have purchased Smoothie IIs - some have gone with narrower 20s in the front, others have dropped to 18s - check with Fuzzy on what he did. I know he had some issues with the finish quality.

Check with Newstalgia Wheels in Tennessee regarding pricing - they have been very good to deal with, and will install, balance and ship no charge if you purchase tires and wheels from them. My Colorado Customs came from them - very pleased with their service. Ask for David - tell him Ray sent you.

Ray

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why not keep your original size and go with Chip Foose wheels?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i really love the styling of the smoothie II's..

i looked at the foose collection and i cant find anything that catches my eye. i dont know why but i just have my heart set on the smoothie II's (for now). i have always liked torque thrust wheels and some that are similar to those

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i saw that on their website so im definitely gonna do business :)

i just want to make sure if there are no driveability issues doing this setup especially after lowering it with springs. i dont want the front end too low after a spring job

·
Registered
39 Posts
I put American Racing Wheels 22" rear with 20" front. With B.F. Goodrich low profile the back with 29-1/4" and 29-1/4" with the new wheels. The tires are called Flames. Redwingflier

·
Registered
487 Posts

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I have Boyd Coddington 3 piece forged chrome wheels with the signed white porcelean hub on order can't wait! 20.10 rear and 19.8 front

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have Coddington Diablos front and back 19-8 and 20-10 They look awesome. Boyd has a number of wheels in those sizes to fit our rides. Purchased at Discount Tire-They are headquartered in AZ but you can order by phone for a special order.

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
6 Bolt?

Does that wheel come in the six bolt configuration? The ones shown is five.

·
Premium Member
9,353 Posts
Iron Medic,

You'll find your choice of wheels very limited when you take into account your desire for a 5 bolt wheel, on a 6 bolt hub which sees limited production (it's smaller than the 6 bolt pattern on the full size trucks and SUVs)

If Coddington will build it in a 6 bolt pattern, you've got a winner - you can get the offsets you need, and 19s and 20s.

I know - because I share the same love for an open 5 spoke look, and spent most of my time at SEMA last year looking for a wheel that would work, with very little success.

Several Fanatics have gone with the 6 spoke Smoothie, in 18s and 20s, but I wanted to stay with stock tires (cost and wear factor) so 19s and 20s were critical. Found a few 6 spoke wheels, but nothing that turned my crank.

Colorado Customs was the only company willing to work with me after spending some time with them at SEMA, and we eventually settled on a very open 5 spoke, with a 6 bolt hub. I showed them a few situations where 6 bolt patterns were cut into a 5 spoke wheel, but they wouldn't compromise their standards to build something they weren't completely happy with. End result was a larger hub area, rather than have the spokes go all the way to the center cap, like I wanted.

To see a 5 spoke wheel with a 6 bolt pattern cut through the spokes, have a look at the August issue (Volume 31, no 11) of Truckin. Joel's (69 camaro) orange/yellow SSR has that look. I don't think it looks bad, and showed that design to Colorado, but they weren't interested in building something like it. He went with Kaizer Circus - 20 fronts, 22 rears.

If you're interested in the wheel I used, contact Newstalgia - they'll have the details on it. Pricing wasn't that bad - one off customs, soft lip style, and full show polish including the backside, about 3K for the set. Quality was first class.

Do a search for the post I did this summer regarding Colorado Customs - "New Wheels are on" - should pull up the photos.

One of these days I'll put they in MY Photos.

Ray

·
Registered
110 Posts
Boyds wheels

we put Boyd's 20" Renegades on the back and 19" on the front, did the BelTech lowering and end result is great. PM me and I'll e-mail you a photo... :cool

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,205 Posts
Just One That I Know Of

And that's rick418cars.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts