Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a brake upgrade kit available for the SSR? Lonnie is planning to install a supercharger before the Power Tour, and it seems like with the horsepower we have now the SSR is hard to stop when you get some velocity going!

Thanks!

·
OP
8,226 Posts
no dust

That's one thing I like about our brakes is "no dust" and the stopping power seems to be more than sufficient, I've....uh...tested them.:skep

Now this is with standard power, so I understand your additional stopping need with your proposed upgrade, but the brake dust may be something to endure.

I am interested in upgrading the rotors to drilled and slotted but do not know the pros and cons of doing so, plus I would like to get them from a reputable dealer with a warranty.

I probably wouldn't upgrade until I found a potential problem like Daven recently with fissures/cracks in the rotors, and as I was painting the rotors a few days ago, my rotors looked good. But I am open to advice on rotors however.

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
I've had to do the brake test as well, while towing.. The brakes do work quite well since I'm sure if I was in my previous truck I would have rear ended that 18 wheeler that cut me off.

Another upgrade that may be produced is the braided steel brake lines which will produce a slightly firmer pedal feel. (should be getting more info on that tomorrow)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thnx!

Ya'll just gave me a smile......... I am picturing a warranty for brakes. If the brakes don't work, what good is........ and who would......... ????? Like guaranteeing parachutes. No one ever complained.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
They put higher performance brakes on the Trailblazer SS. That came after the SSR, so we did not have time to engineer new brakes into the SSR. Our brakes came from the Trailblazer XL which weighs more than an SSR. I do not know what parts changed on the TB SS, but I think they look nicer. These brakes and whatever booster and master cylinder changes that go with them would be needed. The ABS calibration might also need to be considered, but probably not since you would not change the tires or weight distribution.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just note that drilled or slotted rotors originated in racing where brakes were repeatedly or continuously applied, lap after lap, and therefore become hot enough to glow cherry red. Drilling/slotting helps cool these brakes.

It is almost impossible to imagine the street-driving situation where brakes get hot enough for drill/slot to make ANY difference. It takes many many repeated high energy applications of the brakes (and/or continuous dragging with power that is sometimes used in road racing) to get them hot enough for drill/slot to make a difference.

Drill/slot will NOT make brakes work better in street use. In fact, technically, they reduce the disc-to-pad contact area and make the brakes work less well... this effect is very very small and may be generally ignored, but techincally, it's real.

They do, however, look quite nifty. I have them on my 1997 Del Sol, which we Solo II (Autocross) quite a bit. Not needed; just look cool.

Changing pad material can make quite a difference in actual stopping power. As previously commented, most of the really good pads put out quite a bit of unattractive dust. And, stainless steel lines will improve pedal feel quite a bit, but have no other effect on stopping power.

The next step would be larger diameter rotors coupled with bigger pads... but that requires quite a bit of engineering, particularly on a vehicle with ABS.

So, to look good, consider drill/slot rotors; to stop better, consider better pads. That's about it...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Check Lingenfelter's website in Indiana. They offer a brake upgrade for the SSR.

355x32mm, 2 piece rotors, 4 piston caliper, stainless lines & pads

The 4 piston Brembo monobloc calipers combined with the larger 14” diameter two piece rotors are designed to produce more brake torque and are capable of coping with the large amount of heat created by vehicles that are heavy or fast or both. The disc coupled with the full floating aluminum hat, provides improved heat dissipation for the elimination of brake fade.

Brake calipers come standard painted red for a high quality long lasting finish.

Aftermarket wheels 18" or larger required. Proper clearance is needed to accommodate the 4-piston caliper. Brem-1B1-8036AS, $3,095.00
http://www.lingenfelter.com/store/brem-1b1-8036as.html

Attachments

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wildcat69 said:
Check Lingenfelter's website in Indiana. They offer a brake upgrade for the SSR.

355x32mm, 2 piece rotors, 4 piston caliper, stainless lines & pads

The 4 piston Brembo monobloc calipers combined with the larger 14” diameter two piece rotors are designed to produce more brake torque and are capable of coping with the large amount of heat created by vehicles that are heavy or fast or both. The disc coupled with the full floating aluminum hat, provides improved heat dissipation for the elimination of brake fade.

Brake calipers come standard painted red for a high quality long lasting finish.

Aftermarket wheels 18" or larger required. Proper clearance is needed to accommodate the 4-piston caliper. Brem-1B1-8036AS, $3,095.00
http://www.lingenfelter.com/store/brem-1b1-8036as.html
Now that's what I'm talking about! I'm used to Vette brakes that eject you from the car when you stomp on them - seems like with the SSR you need to leave a little room between you and the car in front of you..:eek

·
Registered
234 Posts
Let me know if you get them Vettegirl. I am interested in them on down the road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts