Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for new brake pads already. Any reccomendations for the best brake pads on the market that will fit the SSR?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I too would be curious how many miles you have at this time. I have 30K and so far the rotars and pads look great.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Akebono

When I changed to drilled slotted rotors I also changed pads. After reading reviews I went with Akebono pads. They are ceramic, leave absolutely no dust and have had great braking characteristics. They cost more than the OEM replacements I looked at but I'm happy I got these.

drbob

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
matjow said:
Time for new brake pads already. Any reccomendations for the best brake pads on the market that will fit the SSR?

I just had my brakes checked and was told that I have %40 left after 53k miles....I guess though that since those are highway miles I would have more brakes left than if they were city miles :jester .

·
Registered
347 Posts
matjow said:
I am no expert on brakes, but here is my experience. If you use a soft pad braking is great, but you have a lot of dust early wear. If you go to the sinter iron or ceramic you have good braking but early rotor wear. An example of this costly mistake - I drive like a maniac all the time, I just have fun driving, every freeway is a road course to me, on and off ramps are my specialty. Our family car is a MB S 500 Sport. It weighs 4300 pounds and has the adjustable suspension on it. So even though you are driving a boat it can still be fun. I put some real good ceramic pads on it because of my braking habits :nono It when threw a set of rotors in a little over 10,000 miles. So I think it all boils down to your driving habits. If you are Conservative in your driving I would use soft pads ( we keep our cars clean anyway so a little dust isn't there long enough to see and your rotors will last a long time) If you have no regard for the law and drive like a frigging lunatic and just want to stop on a dime because you over shot a turn, go with the ceramics. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I drive it pretty hard. I have 24,000 miles on it. I don't need brakes yet. But I can tell I will at 30,000.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Rotor wear

Ken Thurm said:
I am no expert on brakes, but here is my experience. If you use a soft pad braking is great, but you have a lot of dust early wear. If you go to the sinter iron or ceramic you have good braking but early rotor wear. An example of this costly mistake - I drive like a maniac all the time, I just have fun driving, every freeway is a road course to me, on and off ramps are my specialty. Our family car is a MB S 500 Sport. It weighs 4300 pounds and has the adjustable suspension on it. So even though you are driving a boat it can still be fun. I put some real good ceramic pads on it because of my braking habits :nono It when threw a set of rotors in a little over 10,000 miles. So I think it all boils down to your driving habits. If you are Conservative in your driving I would use soft pads ( we keep our cars clean anyway so a little dust isn't there long enough to see and your rotors will last a long time) If you have no regard for the law and drive like a frigging lunatic and just want to stop on a dime because you over shot a turn, go with the ceramics. Just my opinion.
Ken,
Rotors worn undersize on MB is a very common issue, even with stock pads rotors will need replacement with just about every brake job.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ceramic Pads

I have ceramic on my 02 Prowler,04 Ford F150 and now on the 05 SSR.I
wouldn't have anything else.When ceramic first came out they were hard
on the rotors.I haven't had that problem of excess rotor wear.What i like
best is very little dust and better stopping.I got all the pads from Tire
Rack,next day delivery.:lol

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ken Thurm said:
If you have no regard for the law and drive like a frigging lunatic and just want to stop on a dime because you over shot a turn, go with the ceramics. Just my opinion.
I live in the country and treat the roads like a road race track, and after using them several times in a row, the brake pedal start to shake. Would the ceramic pads keep the heat down? I know thats what is causing the shake, because after they cool and I drive normal it goes away. Anyways it sounds like I should get the pads so that I can stop better. After I save some money up, I might invest in larger rotors, because the factory ones seem to small for this heavy of a vehicle.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Ceramic brakes...

I have ceramic on my 02 Prowler,04 Ford F150 and now on the 05 SSR.I
wouldn't have anything else.When ceramic first came out they were hard
on the rotors.I haven't had that problem of excess rotor wear.What i like
best is very little dust and better stopping.I got all the pads from Tire
Rack,next day delivery.:lol
Got a set of Ceramic brake pads to install. We were hoping a tech session
would be helpful but since we missed the last one..is it a simple install or
is there anything we need to be aware of? Appreciate input please.
Thanks in advance.

:ssr Ladyinred :angel Lizz
P.S. Milage at 88,613

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Brembos anyone??

Has anyone changed to 14" Brembos in the front. Don't think they offer anything but 12" for the back. Hope someone has done this or has the info on it.

P/P

Peace:flag

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
anyone........

bump

P/P

Peace:flag

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,435 Posts
I replaced Ilsa's fronts last week at 52K miles. They were getting low, but had not hit the warning indicator yet.

I'd never done a brake job before, but it was mostly easy.

Remove one bolt, loosen the other, and rotate the caliper up (not disconnecting the hose). The old pads lift right out. Use a clamp to push the cylinders back into the calipers, put the new pads (and guides) back in. There's a small part that goes up into the caliper, but I have no idea what its purpose is. Slide the caliper back down into position and put the bolt back in and tighten. Pump the brakes a few times to get them back into position before driving.

Got a set of Ceramic brake pads to install. We were hoping a tech session
would be helpful but since we missed the last one..is it a simple install or
is there anything we need to be aware of? Appreciate input please.
Thanks in advance.

:ssr Ladyinred :angel Lizz
P.S. Milage at 88,613

1 - 20 of 20 Posts