Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! New to the forum. 2005 slingshot yellow; close to Louisville, Ky. Asking about upgrading the breather to maybe a K&N corvette setup. How much of a HP increase, can I use a Corvette compatible 6.0 engine or do I have to order a special kit for the SSR?

Thanks, Kvette

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,202 Posts
Hey everyone! New to the forum. 2005 slingshot yellow; close to Louisville, Ky. Asking about upgrading the breather to maybe a K&N corvette setup. How much of a HP increase, can I use a Corvette compatible 6.0 engine or do I have to order a special kit for the SSR?

Thanks, Kvette
Need a special kit for the ssr.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
36,883 Posts
Welcome from Canada! :cheers

Congrats on your new SSR :yellow: :thumbs

Sorry can't help you your K&N setup but there are a lot that have it and someone with that know how will click in

enjoy the permagrin!

:black:
:purple:
Krazy Ed

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Hi Kvette,
First, let me welcome you to the very best, gosh darn, <---- (put your own words here)
" Oh my God there is so much information, I'm going to go blind from reading ", greatest wealth of knowledge about how it works, and the spectacular DRIVING experience of cruising in the SSR, not to mention the absolute thrill of being one of a group of SSR's travelling down the road. Then there is being one of few who owns a Truck that is as unique as the R's are. And the people you will meet, The best, just the very BEST.
As for your question, I have on my truck the K&N filter and when Joe Delano tuned mine up several months ago he told me that the stock air cleaner set up was just as efficient as the K&N set up that I have. He just really asked me why I did that. Bottom line, it looks really cool but he does not think it flows any more air than stock.
Just my 2 cents worth and as to how much it's worth, well I'm looking for the change, it must be here on the floor somewhere!
Dennis

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,933 Posts
I talked to K&N at the '05 Auto Show and they said the Stock set up was as good as it gets. Their hi $500 unit was good for a "couple" of HP over the stock, but, they would be GLAD to sell me a kit. I didn't buy their "lifetime" filter element, either. Spent the $ on a case of white paper ones on Closeout.

Reactions: shakatak

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,202 Posts
Thanks Auggie, where did you get it, how much should I expect?
Not expensive things folks can do and gain over 50 horsepower and gobs of off the line torque.

Had my Throttle Body done by Faster Proms in Florida, Jeremy tune. Took it off myself and sent it UPS. They did it and returned it very promptly. They shaved off all the edges inside and took as much material off as possible to enlarge the opening to match the intake. Very responsive and much faster off the line. I also did the throttle body spacer, K&N cold air package, Jet High Performance Mass Air Flo Sensor, true dual exhaust, and super dyno tune. The whole thing is like night and day.

The guy tuning our SSR called and said it was ready. On the Dyno it read 362 horsepower and 369 torque at the rear wheels after the work he and I did. He used some kind of fancy formula and figured 452.5 horsepower and 461.25 torque at the crank. Pretty good increase from stock plus very smooth and more responsive. Reset cooling fans, shift points and firmness and overall adjusted everything. This was all done after the K&N Cold air package, the throttle body port and polish done by Faster Proms in Florida, the Taylor Helix throttle body spacer, the Jet high performance mass air flo sensor, and the Magnaflow true duals exhaust. Split the header pipe and am running two pipes into the special muffler and two pipes out. There is an X pipe in the muffler.

One more thing I would add is rearend gear change. Guys say there is a world of difference then.

Got all the stuff from Auto Anything. K&N Cold air package is $433 and makes a world of difference in sound and low end torque.

Good luck.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,165 Posts
I have a K&N air filter kit on my 05, and when I put it on there was no increase in performance or mileage. I would highly suggest saving the money and spending it on a tune over anything else for an increase in performance. When I got mine I got it from a wrecked SSR and paid less than half the cost of a new one. It does look racier than the stock unit. Again I would do a tune over any thing else for a performance increase.

The next debate will be doing a hand held tuner or having it done by a tuner. Yes the tuner is going to be able to get every last bit out of the modification but the hand held is going to get you well into the ball park. It also comes down to having someone who can do the tune versus having your ability to do it yourself. Cost is another thing, but this will get the debate going and get you more confused than just about any other discussion about your truck. Well maybe not as big as what tires to replace them with. But that is whole different can of worms.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
If you're looking for engine bay bling and more sound from the engine bay, go ahead and drop the $400 plus for a cold air intake. But if you're wanting better performance, there's a number of better ways to spend the dollars. Numerous tests have shown that there is little to no performance gain with a CAI on an SSR as compared to a stock intake.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,499 Posts
Kvette, Welcome from Forney Texas!!! You will discover that you have found the BEST FORUM ever!---Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" something, it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

--Also if you haven't yet, go to "FORUMS", "SSRFanatics News & Polls", "New Member section" and introduce Yourself!!

Nick & Kathy

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,440 Posts
I wondered that too.

So I checked that area of the throttle body opening, and the area of the air box opening. The air box opening is already bigger that the throttle body opening, meaning that it is already bigger than it needs to be. As mentioned earlier, the K & N setup looks really cool, but it doesn't help performance any.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,202 Posts

Thanks, Kvette
My advice is to make a list of what you want to accomplish and then work towards that end. Most of the time you cannot just change one thing and get big horsepower gains. You need to change intake and exhaust and a tune, maybe a cam, or gears, etc. to get it to all work together. Sometimes if you just change one thing the horsepower or performance goes down. Like I said talk to speed shop folks and others and see if and how you can accomplish what you want. Horsepower is not cheap to obtain. Somethings like headers etc. are illegal in some states.Better check that out if you have to pass a SMOG TEST. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts