Chevy SSR Forum banner

broken change tray

6K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  12Pack 
#1 ·
how to remove change tray in dash. I know this is a VW part but I need to know part no. and how to remove old tray and slide,

#2 ·
Dicktator's One Drive has the explanation for the in dash cup holder. They are mounted the same way so you should find your answer there.

#4 ·
There are some suggestions in this thread you might consider.

and I stole this from another thread:
First.... Welcome to the SSR family. It's a great bunch of passionate owners.

Your coin tray is probably stuck because of an internal jam in the tray...... Usually something that was in the tray that migrated. What you must resist is the urge to pry too hard on the face of the drawer.

The mechanism of the drawer is very similar to the cupholder on the passenger side of the dash....... It is a fully enclosed little box that holds everything. You probably already understand that it has a "push to latch" and "push to unlatch" type of toggling mechanism. What you need to try is to get it into the "unlatched" mode and then put some "simulated vehicle vibration" into the dashboard under the coin tray. I usually use the heel of my hand or the soft bottom of my fist........ You can also remove the ashtray (three 7mm screw heads at the hinge and a nylon leash) to gain access to the side of the tray to tap on the tray itself.

Yes, you can also pry on the faceplate a little to help, but you have to be really careful that you don't break off the little tabs that hold it onto the drawer.

I'm sorry that I can't offer anything better. The coin tray is actually an Audi designed part that frustrates many of us.

Good luck,

Mike

#8 ·
Alone the same lines, a dumb question: How to instal the coin holder cover (replacement)? I know it "just snaps in place" but like so many plastic parts on the SSR which are prone to breakage, how to avoid shearing off one or more of the retaining clips on the back? Do I engage the lower clips and rotate the cover to engage the top clips or in reverse? Or just align all 4 and force it in place? What have others found? Thanks. Rick

#11 · (Edited)
Edit: Follow the wise suggestions of Yellow Bear below and disregard what I said if you got a chance to read it.

#10 ·
I have a functional coin tray without the face plate. Dicktator has directions in the library on replacing the face plate. Silicone glue & tooth picks placed for alignment while drying. PM me if you want to purchase the coin tray & any questions.

"SJA"

#14 · (Edited)
https://www.ebay.com/p/Kent-Moore-J-45999-Cup-and-Coin-Holder-Remover-Removal-Tool-Set/655198334

This is what I did. It’s nearly impossible to do this with it in the Dash.

Replacing the Ash Tray / Coin Holder Cover

Remove the Ash Tray or Coin Holder.

Position the new Cover on the front.

Turn it upside down so that you are looking at the little slots in the cover.

Slide the smooth slide of the clip thru the slot with the curved side sliding behind the bottom of the tray.

Open and Close it to make sure it works properly.

Slide the Ash Tray / Coin Holder back into
the Dash.

#16 ·
After buying special tool (part # J 45999) to remove cup holder and coin tray on my SSR, I found that previous owner had so much glue on them that they glued shut onto dash. I searched and found a used coin tray on ebay, new cup holder and both face plates from Wild Bill's SSR parts. I now have functional trays on dash (at a expensive cost), but they are just for looks. The cup holders are not strong to hold a large soda without it bouncing around splashing soda all over the place. The coin tray is not big enough to hold many coins. I love my SSR and I have it back to original condition (and they work) as long as you don't use them. I ended up using the cheap cup holders you slide down in windows to hold my coffee while I'm driving and I never have cash anymore, since the check card.

#17 ·
I use the cup holder for canned soda and the passenger side console cup holder for my thermos coffee cup (from SSRoe). The change holder is where I keep my SSR Fanatic business cards for those I meet, or just find parked.

Reactions: 12Pack
#22 ·
Just run my whole card and envelope thing through the shredder. Works for me.
AARP has gone way too Hollywood and Bernie Sanders for me. I belong to AMAC now. Same benefits and their policies and philosophies line up with me.

Click here.
https://amac.us/

Reactions: SSReplay and nj6969
#25 ·
They are small. Keep them in the console or glove box, or that compartment in the bed cover if you have it. You never know when you can help another Fanatic at a rally.

Reactions: nj6969
#32 ·
Coin- Cup Tray Removal is on How to Library: New folder - OneDrive (live.com)

Dicktator
The first thing I try is @Dicktator 's magic glue, clear silicone caulk. That's what I use to keep the "bullets" on my wheels in place of the OEM center caps. No problem there, miles and miles later..
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

OneDrive is my go-to place before I start any repair. But as the last page states, "Good until you knock it off again." Which I did. Probably I didn't give it 24 hours to cure. More like 24 seconds. :oops: I'll give it another try and follow all of the instructions, as page 6 indicates, "Let set for 24 hours." o_O

#34 ·
Whoever glued the set I took out of my R, made a mess of it. They had glue running down the dash. Got the glue off but glue left a shiny streak, in which I'm leaving it alone. I found new cup holder and coin trays on ebay and GM Parts had new covers for both. That was a couple years ago.
Ken, you should have let me take out coin holder also while I was there

#35 ·
Ken, you should have let me take out coin holder also while I was there
Indeed, I shoulda. But I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with them. You were a big help in understanding what is involved in this seemingly simple removal. Now I know what the complete part looks like and where the "holding pins" and how to "lift" them from tray/holder.

Now I'm working on reattaching the face plate using @Dicktator 's magic glue. It seems simple enough, but some of us are simpler than the instructions. o_O :oops: :rolleyes:

Again, many thanks. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.