Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unable to close driver's side door - will not latch. Found small piece of black plastic in the door latch itself. The latch will not move; therefore, won't catch on the pins. Ready to order from Mike the lock actuator, but trying to determine if that is the piece I need. If so, how easy will it be to replace? I am NOOOOO mechanic, a newbie, and experiencing problems with my SSR preventing us from having the fun we want to have. Getting frustrated and need help from my new "SSR Family". Thanks.

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
Florida is just chock full of SSR experts, help should not be a problem.

·
Premium Member
6,451 Posts
Unable to close driver's side door - will not latch. Found small piece of black plastic in the door latch itself. The latch will not move; therefore, won't catch on the pins. Ready to order from Mike the lock actuator, but trying to determine if that is the piece I need. If so, how easy will it be to replace? I am NOOOOO mechanic, a newbie, and experiencing problems with my SSR preventing us from having the fun we want to have. Getting frustrated and need help from my new "SSR Family". Thanks.
The piece of plastic, is it the piece on the door jam that locks the door to the stricker, or did you take door panel off and find it?

Attachments

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,947 Posts
I have Door Latch/Lock Modules in stock.

Handle is probably broke, no lubrication in the past. MUST spray OUTSIDE DOOR HANDLE or it will break!!

I may have OUTSIDE door latch but don't think so.

Call me, I leave for Maggie on Tues.

Dicktator
Cell 727-460-6038

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your responses. Just got back from trip to Clearwater for a great visit with Dicktator and the part that should take care of the problem. Great way to spend an afternoon for us "retired folks".

Jim

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,947 Posts
It's ok but white lube attracts and holds "dirt" it will gum up module.

I use WD40 SILICONE SPRAY, dries to touch, won't attrack dirt, waterproof and lube.

Dicktator

Helps eliminate problem in last picture

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a 2004 SSR and I am having trouble opening the left door from outside. INside latch works fine. Window indexing works fine. If I push in on the door and then tug on the handle it will open. Have lubricated everywhere I can get the wd 40 extension into. Still no joy. Not sure what part to order. The right side broke years ago and they replaced the "outside" unit. Do you think that is what I need? And do you have one? I have found some parts in GM warehouse sites on the web but seem to be the internal workings. I am no body mechanic so just scratching my head! Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
I have a 2004 SSR and I am having trouble opening the left door from outside. INside latch works fine. Window indexing works fine. If I push in on the door and then tug on the handle it will open. Have lubricated everywhere I can get the wd 40 extension into. Still no joy. Not sure what part to order. The right side broke years ago and they replaced the "outside" unit. Do you think that is what I need? And do you have one? I have found some parts in GM warehouse sites on the web but seem to be the internal workings. I am no body mechanic so just scratching my head! Thanks in advance for your help.
You may have an impending failure of the door handle. If so, the pivot bolt that holds the transition part on the back of the door handle may be coming unscrewed.

To access it is a simple thing...... Pull the inside door panel off and get a 10mm socket in to unscrew the two nuts that hold the door handle on. Pull the handle through to the outside of the door and have a look. If you need to, simply disconnect the linkage from the door handle and take it to the workbench and fix it. You will probably find the pivot screw is mostly unscrewed. Do a simple disassemble and reassemble with a little lube and a little locktite. Put it back in the door and you are back in business.

I’ve done 3 of these in the last year.

Mike

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,947 Posts
Divers outside handle is LEFT, Passengers side is RIGHT and Passengers outside handle is SAME as tailgate inside handle.

Dicktator

·
My First Permagrin !
570 Posts
Had one of them been replaced, Jersey red, or is the left and right different designs?
I'm pretty sure my truck was never touched .
Left and right are side specific .
If you ever go inside the door definitely tighten the pivot bolt and lube everything up .

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for the info and encouragement. I did get the door panel off (eventually...I am no trim mechanic! Even bought a trim pry bar set, two of which I immediately broke ...I know, HOW?..... leave it to me!) and the pivot bolt was definitely loose..very loose. Glad I decided to go ahead and try to fix myself before it finally backed totally out. Works fine now!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts