Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well now that it's Spring, I guess that some of us will have to deal with running into swarms of bugs on our travels. In the past week, my windshield has almost been plastered with squashed bugs during my travels. I never had this problem with my Z28 (because, I assume of the more sloped windshield), but I did have it with my ford ranger. I bought a bug guard for the ranger and it helped quite a bit.

Now for the 'I can't believe I'm thinking about doing this' part... I think I might need to put a bug guard on the front of my SSR. If any of you have any better solutions, I would certainly like to hear ideas. If there aren't any better solutions, maybe someone could recommend a good place to purchase a good looking bug guard made for the SSR (I'm not even sure someone would make one)....

bugs.. :mad

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
I put an Invisi-Bra (actually a competitor) on the front part of the grill and hood, the backs of the mirrors and the foward part of the rear fenders. You think you got bugs - you should try hauling down alongside the bayou between Cameron and Abbeville, Louisiana in the middle of the summer.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bugs

I guess I'm looking more at keeping squashed bugs off the windshield more than anything else. Having dead bugs on the paint is a pain, but having the windshield smeared with them is a hazard.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I have found that it is a lot easier and cheaper to keep towels, window cleaner, and spray detailer in the back. In the AM and PM, I just wipe off the bug splats. I enjoy playing with my SSR that way anyway. Be thankful we are not in Florida where they have the paint destroying "Love Bugs". The chemicals in their bodies are very toxic to paint! I think a bug guard would destroy the lines of the vehicle, but each to their own.

·
Registered
347 Posts
cruzned said:
Be thankful we are not in Florida where they have the paint destroying "Love Bugs". The chemicals in their bodies are very toxic to paint!
I do live in Florida. :) I just moved back after 20 years away. I'll be putting a bra on the vette during the lovebug season this year. I have forgotten exactly when that is...

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rain-X

I use Rain-X, and it does seem to allow most of the bug to be cleaned off with the windshield wiper, but I still have dozens of 'impact points' still visible. I'd like to prevent them from hitting the windshield to begin with.

·
Registered
601 Posts
If you put wax on the windows it works the same way that rain-x works. Also do not use the rain-x that is in the washer fluid. Use the type that you have to wipe on by hand hand take off by hand. That seems to be the only one that works right. The other does not work to me. Ilove rain-x and will continue to use it.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Bugs and windshields

If you are a Zaino user, then apply the Zaino to the glass areas just as you do to the rest of the car. It works very well and you don't have to have another product around. When going to a cruise or show, take the Z6 enhancer with you and a cloth and wipe those little critters away! :thumbs

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
I use Armor Alll Auto Glass Cleaner with a clean "old" white cotton t-shirt.
I have tried "Sprayway" and other glass clearners, but Armor works, it's good on Chrome too.

M

·
0 Posts
Please don't put a bug guard on your SSR. These are very beautiful cars and don't need anything taco messing up the looks. Have you ever seen a Vette or Porsche with a bug guard on the front? I agree with the rain-x or keeping some wipes and cleaner in the truck. The winsheild is one thing...but there is always the front grille, mirror backs, and front end to worry about too. If I am driving and there gets to be too much bug crap on the windows, I stop at a gas station and clean it off. And I use the water and paper towels to clean off the front end too.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bugs

I don't think I'd really put a bug guard on, but I definitely hate not being able to see out the window. Vettes and Porshes don't need bug guards because the windshield is raked back far enough. The more verticle your windshield the more bugs you're going to smash. I guess that I will only run into bugs a couple of weeks a year (fingers crossed) and that's not enough to warrant making the SSR look funny with a bug guard.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Don't give up so easily...

looking 4,

Go ahead...and why not add some curb feelers and door edge protectors, while you're at it? I always thought fuzzy dice and fake fur dash covers were cool. Let's make this truck stand out. :leaving

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ultrashield

U may want 2 consider a product called Ultrashield. I jus put it on my SSR. http://www.ultrashieldusa.com

:cool I live in Florida and besides the bugs we get a lot of "stuff" hitin the leading edges. It won't stop the big stuff from chippin ur paint but it will help in preventing that "sand-blasted" look and the bug spots in the finish.

As far as the bug thing on the windows goes.....jus keep washin.

:cool

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's what I'm gonna do

Nostoc,

Wow. Why didn't I think of that! That is what I'm going to do!!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Lookin4, you are such a devils advocate! We know you won't be doing that stuff! Man, how about a 4 X 4 SSR that I can take to Hatteras to go surfing! No that would be cool. One nice clean one for riding around town and one to mud or sand up when in the woods or on the beach! An urban assault vehicle and a beach/woods assault vehicle. :jester :jester

1 - 20 of 21 Posts