Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cry :cry Any time I get to run about town in the beast is a great day and this one started out just that way... took it for it's oil change, and then started on a hunt for a part for my '49 Ford F1 pickup project... needed a new radiator overflow resevoir. Anyway, went to several auto parts stores and no deal there... finally all the way south of town to a used parts store and tromped through almost half of their advertised 3000 vehicles there an still no luck finding a match... I guess I should say that "Freddie", my F1 Pickup, has a 289 Cobra engine in it, a C4 Mustang transmission with Hurst shifter, and a 3/4 ton rear end... so not a stock truck any more... so on the way back home, decided to get the beast cleaned up so I could take it to the weekly Saturday evening auto show near by in north Round Rock, and when I was waiting in line at my favorite car wash, the guy said "did you know you had a flat tire?" :banghead :banghead :eek :eek Those were the words I have been dreading to hear... sure enough I walked around back and the rear right tire was flatter than all get out. Did not see any apparent damage, so got out the air compressor and started to pump it back up before I put any of the fixit stuff in it, and then the real disaster... the air was leaking out of the SIDEWALL as fast as I was pumping it in. I'm pretty sure that it can't be fixed. So now I'm really bummed out... I bought the 5 year roadside hazzard insurance from NSD sold by the dealer. I have never in my life... and it's now a very mature life... have had any type of roadside tire problem. Have had my share of slow leaks from nails, but never a disaster like this one. So call their toll free number for a tow to the Goodyear dealer. Thought that would be the best place to go. This all started at 3PM and it was 4 1/2 hours later that a tow truck finally showed up... by this time the Goodyear dealer is supposed to be closed, but when I got there, there was the guy I talked with on the phone, adding up the receipts for the day. At least something went right. Of course they don't have the tire in stock, and won't be until Monday before they can locate one... heaven only knows when they might actually get it installed. Now will see how this roadside hazzard thing works... they are supposed to pick up the tab for the tow, the new tire, mounting, balance, etc. It was just awful seeing the beast being loaded on the flatbed and then driven to the Goodyear dealer... even worse to have to leave it there until next week some time. I guess it could have been worse if I had been traveling far far away from home on some desolate stretch of interstate in the middle of Texas somewhere. I am thinking seriously about having an extra tire around the house for front and back for just such an emergency... and maybe take it on long roadtrips. It will take a good deal of space in the bed, but may be a best insurance policy... worse thing that can happen is that I will use it to replace the original tire when the tread wears thin. I was very skeptical about not having a spare at all, now I'm sure that this is not a great idea. Especially if this is the kind of response I can expect to get onsite help. AAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArrrrrggghhhhhhhhhhhh

Sorry to hear about your bummer day......hmmmmm extra tires(stored in garage) gonna go to Just Tires and buy a front and back and nshop for spare rims tooooooooooooooooooooooooo cheap insurance to make driving more enjoyable Ill let ya know the cost of tires.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Research on puter prices for tires

hmmm so far 339.98 shipped to my house for 1 @ front and back 05 SSR Monday gonna visit buddy who owns a Just Tires 3 blocks from house get his price will update Good luck

·
Registered
487 Posts
Daven said:
This all started at 3PM and it was 4 1/2 hours later that a tow truck finally showed up... by this time the Goodyear dealer is supposed to be closed

Roadside here in Southern CA (Automobile Club of So Cal) has been pretty good - about 30mins or less for the trucks to show. Then it's 4 1/2 hours for them to authorize your card...

I will head down to Tire Pros for some options before my next long road trip

I couldn't imagine being without my SSR for days just to get a tire. I mean, who's going to tuck it in at night with its favorite blanky?? Will there be a night light in the Garage? What about the Road N Track bedtime stories??

Good luck, I hope all turns out well

Joe Davis
StepPrinting.com

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,782 Posts
Daven, smart thinking.....
Bought a spare front and back with rims just for that purpose. Has come in handy twice. Flats in the garage...call roadside...they come and change to the spare...and then I get the bad one fixed.

Roadside doesn't cost you anything, it's part of the warranty service.

P/P

Peace :flag

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Sorry to tell ya, but two tires will not fit in our little truck bed unless you leave the tail gate open and tie the overhanging tire to it. The 19's almost fit in the back but not quite. The 20's definately did not fit. Bought mine at Tirerack and they can overnight to ya for a really cheap price compared to the supposed "Tire Specialty Stores". My dealer installed them for around 19 bucks, the tire places wanted around 65 bucks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your support...

Had not tried to put any spares in the bed yet, so sounds like that is not too much of an option, unless you just put one in there... a 19" so that you can limp to the next fix it place regardless of whether you have a flat on the front or rear... you can always turn the TC off if need be. Tire Rack seems to be the least expensive for replacement tires... Yes there is a shelf life for tires... seems to me I have been reading some articles about that... they tend to get dry rot, or at least lose some of their flexibility... not too good if you WOT all over or contribute to Larry's thread on speed. Won't know anything about when I might expect to get the tire replaced until tomorrow, but would be that they can't get a replacement delivered until Tuesday earliest. It did not start out well in my opinion when Sam, the guy I talked with yesterday afternoon did not even know what an SSR was, and then said "is that a new car?"... followed by "Oh, that's a special tire and we usually don't get them right away..." I may have to give him the link to Tire Rack :D I am pretty serious now about getting some spare tires.. at least I'd have them available to mount in case this would happen again, and especially on the open interstates... debris all over the place that can do great damage.

·
Premium Member
9,498 Posts
Daven

One issue that really hasn't been properly addressed is the potential damage to the rear end caused by a difference in tire diameter. There have been discussions before about it, but I'd like to know for sure if the Torsen rear end can survive limping the truck a limited distance for a tire repair.

There does not appear to be a clearance issue with a front wheel on the rear axle, but it would be impossible to fit a rear wheel on the front end.

Ray

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The ongoing saga continues...

Talked with the Goodyear folks today and as unlikely as it seems to me... they can't get a replacement tire in town before Wednesday... I think Tire Rack has more in stock than Goodyear! Ray, good point... had not thought about that, but I don't think it would hurt so long as the drive to the nearest fix it place was less than 100 miles or so and the speed is kept down to less than 50.. same as on the space saver tires... that shouldn't be too big a problem on the interstate... the real problem would be if the tire can't be repaired and you need a replacement. And my thinking is that I'd at least have the spare front tire... and if it happens to the rear tire, I'm just out of luck and stuck for minimum of 3-4 days wherever this might happen... assuming it's not over a weekend. Had no hassle with the insurance company, so at least that part went as advertised... they will reimburse me the cost of new tire, mounting, stem, balance, towing. No out of pocket expense. I guess it was worth the money spent on the insurance as this first deal is about what I paid for the insurance, so I'm at break even right now... although I must say that I would not be too unhappy if I never have to be ahead! :)

·
SSR Owners Group
3,752 Posts
I am pretty serious now about getting some spare tires.. at least I'd have them available to mount in case this would happen again.
Exactly what I did - bought a set of satin factory wheels from a fanatic that had upgraded to factory chrome. Have a full set mounted - ready to go.

Keep them in plastic - slows the 'rot' that may happen - no direct sun either...

·
Registered
97 Posts
spare tire

I have thought about the no spare issue sense I bought my SSR, and have held my breath on every trip I have been on. The Trailblazers and Colorado's have the same 6 bolt lug pattern as the SSR, I am going to find a compact spare from one of these and do some measureing on the diameter, if it is close enough these may make a good emergency backup option, they would not take up to much bed space, mabe make a cover for it, and could get us home in a pinch and not on a rollback.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Happy Ending after all...

To my great suprise, after being told by Goodyear that they would not get a replacement tire until this Wednesday, I got a call around noon that the beast was fixed and I could pick him up :party Now all I have to do is submit the bill (charged $189 for the new rear tire... good thing I'm not paying for this one :yesnod ) for reimbursement and it's all over. Back on the road again and the ear to ear grin has returned. :D WVSSR, that space saver spare sounds like it could be a life saver... anxious to hear what you find out... THANKS for taking the effort for us.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any luck on a space saver spare?

wvssr said:
I have thought about the no spare issue sense I bought my SSR, and have held my breath on every trip I have been on. The Trailblazers and Colorado's have the same 6 bolt lug pattern as the SSR, I am going to find a compact spare from one of these and do some measureing on the diameter, if it is close enough these may make a good emergency backup option, they would not take up to much bed space, mabe make a cover for it, and could get us home in a pinch and not on a rollback.
WVSSR, have you had any luck finding a space saver spare from the Trailblazer or Colorado? Is there a GM tech in the house who might have some feeling about running a 19" front tire on the back in case of a flat, just to get to a fix it place, or to the next town... any issue with the torsion bars or TC system? :confused

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.