Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in search of a fix for the shifter that gets too hot. Phoenix sun through the windsheild of a closed black car leads to a scorched palm when shifting from park. A white sock over the lever solves the problem, but it looks really crappy. Does anyone know of a leather covered knob for an automatic shift lever?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a Redline Red one. My daughter gave me a red and white sock of hers to put on the shifter. It works great and has been a great conversation piece.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
shift cover

Every six speed I looked at had a leather shift cover , Check with your selling dealer,it should have been in the center console. maybe one of the "previous lookers " took it . :seeya Kay :ssr

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Putting a sunscreen shield in the window helps a lot, you know, the collapsable ones that fold out and cover the entire windshield? I found one with skulls on it to match my theme. There are tons of them at auto parts stores and even at WallMart. They also lower the inside temp. of the car with the windows rolled up too! :thumbs

·
Registered
416 Posts
Socks, sun screens and six-speeds ...

... but no one has actually answered MikeM's question.

I also have an automatic, and I live in the Dallas area. Although I use sun screens in the windshield, the shifter knob can still get hot, and I'd also like to find a quality solution.

A black or grey leather, custom-fit cover would be just the ticket. Does anyone know of a solution and have a source?

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
MY guess is if we can get the part # for the ones in the 05's we all could just order from our parts dept. Til then I put my hat over it.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
I think all 05 six speeds come with a fitted leather shift lever cover, at least mine did. I don't think the automatics get the cover. IT's of a different design anyways. Good luck.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
The automatics do not have a production cover because you do not have to hang on to the automatic like you do the manual. Opportunity awaits a quality solultion.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
mikem-2005 said:
I am in search of a fix for the shifter that gets too hot. Phoenix sun through the windsheild of a closed black car leads to a scorched palm when shifting from park. A white sock over the lever solves the problem, but it looks really crappy. Does anyone know of a leather covered knob for an automatic shift lever?
Go to a local upholstery shop, one that works in leather. :thumbs

Alternatly, I have found that parking with the back window to the sun dose a good job of keeping the shifter cool enough to touch.

Wildcat's idea has a lot of merit, I most always have/leave a hat in the car. Never thought to cover the shift lever with it.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ampmop said:
I am working on a leather shifter cover for the automatics. Previous leatherwork experience is affording me this opportunity. The tougher part is the push button and also whether or not to make it easily removable.
I see the button as the most significant part of the problem too. The solution for the button may be the similar to the solution for the hot door handles..... except using a circle... This fuzzy circle of velcro on top of the button can then be replaced when worn or dirty..... Tacky but very functional...:)

Hot door handle solution:

1) Purchase black velcro strips with adhesive backing.
2) Apply a segment of "loops" to the inside of the door handle where your fingers touch.

You can then use the "hooks" on the bottom of something you don't want to slide around on your carpeted cargo area. :)

If you come up with a proper leather application for an auto trans shift knob, let me know and I'll purchase an extra for an "exchange" with you.....

Best Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
416 Posts
Wildcat66: I also toss my ballcap (mandatory for driving with the top down to prevent burn) over the gearshift knob when parking the vehicle in the sun. Just looking for a more permanent/elegant solution. Even though it's an automatic, I still like to run it through its gears occasionally. Besides, I like the feel of leather better than metal (and it's cooler in the summer / warmer in the winter).

If someone comes up with a custom leather cover, I'll buy 2! I don't care if the button is covered; in fact, I'd prefer it be left exposed.

As for the door handles, I was thinking about applying cut-to-fit pieces of soft, adhesive-backed rubber sheeting to the inside of each, but velcro might be a better solution, so long as it doesn't get "funky" after getting wet. And you don't have to apply multiple strips; you can buy this stuff in sheets and cut to fit.

Any first-hand feedback on the long-term performance of the "velcro solution"?

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
Until you get the leather cover, I suggest a driving glove......

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are on the right track with the rubber, but it doesn't really offer the insulation that the velcro does.

I had to put it on the underside of my 95 Silverado pickup door handles. Similar problem... chrome handles in the sun. The application lasted for years. Perhaps because I cleaned the surface with alcohol (not Jack Daniels) before applying the velcro. I have always used Velcro brand and have never been disappointed. You need to use the best adhesive backed stuff available, cuz the handle gets so hot.

The only weirdness is when you wash it. The velcro holds the water and needs a little squeeze with a towel. Similarly when grabbing the handle in the rain..... but, after the first time or two, it seems normal.

Try it. It's a cheap experiment that will probably be an acceptable fix. besides, the velcro loops are always good for a rub strip on something with a finish and the hooks are good anti-skids for carpeted surfaces...

Mike

·
Registered
78 Posts
shifter cover

Someone else on the forum already posted that they used a foam can cooler to put over the shifter when they parked it. It kept the shifter cool to the touch and can be used for it's intended purpose later. I tried it and it works!

Wally

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lunch outing with my wife today... (Her hands are the ones that are most sensitive) She suggested that the button was a small issue compared to the shifter that you have to wrap your hand around. Press on, buddy. Where do I send the check?

Mike

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Arizona Special Equipment

Wow - You must not have learned that standard issue in an Arizona car is a set of oven mitts for the seat belt, steering wheel, and shifter. The Tucson Chamber of Commerce includes them in the Welcome Wagon bag. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
just a suggestion

ampmop said:
I am working on a leather shifter cover for the automatics. Previous leatherwork experience is affording me this opportunity. The tougher part is the push button and also whether or not to make it easily removable.

Once completed, i will post a picture and price. Life has recently thrown some curve balls my way so be patient. If someone else beats me to the punch, then great, please post results so we can all keep our palms supple for other tasks... ;)
just a suggestion,
When you figure out how to encircle the button, stich in a circular piece to cover the button or a tight leather cap to be slid on to the button.
Just trying to help :angel
Van05360

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Who Stealing

Wonder who is stealing all the shift covers ??????? :nono :nono

1 - 20 of 39 Posts