Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2006 SSR from someone from this site last year , I won’t mention names because that is not the point.
the fellow I bought it from put it on the internet , to make a long story short .
The SSR was Silver with black top half.
The truck was not painted it was a Wrap on top , the black was pealing off last year so I took it all off. When I did I found that the truck needed to be painted and to cover it up the person wrapped the top.
I paid $40 ,000 for the truck and it was not worth it. I took the fellows word and boy was I Wrong , never again would I purchase a vehicle from the internet. I Paid Top Dollar
For a truck that people laugh at.

·
Registered
2004 SSR Red
37 Posts
I purchased a 2006 SSR from someone from this site last year , I won’t mention names because that is not the point.
the fellow I bought it from put it on the internet , to make a long story short .
The SSR was Silver with black top half.
The truck was not painted it was a Wrap on top , the black was pealing off last year so I took it all off. When I did I found that the truck needed to be painted and to cover it up the person wrapped the top.
I paid $40 ,000 for the truck and it was not worth it. I took the fellows word and boy was I Wrong , never again would I purchase a vehicle from the internet. I Paid Top Dollar
For a truck that people laugh at.
Sorry to hear 😞

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Yup. You're right. Buyer beware. Just because it's a forum member selling a truck doesn't mean it's a good deal. Have you done your homework with resesrch here and asked questions? Has it been maintained? What's the carfax? What's the mileage? How's the tires and suspension? What upgrades have been done? Did you do an "in person" inspection or have another member inspect it? (paint & body) Is it priced right? If any of those questions have a red flag, then you're treading on thin ice. Sorry you feel like you got burnt.

·
Slingshot Rules!
73,743 Posts

Another very significant point to consider, SSRelax (@SSRelax) . . .

Was the Seller you are referencing an active SSRFanatic member or merely someone "passing through" for the sole purpose of selling an SSR?

That scenario seems to happen far too often lately.

! :mad: ! :mad: ! :mad: ! :mad: ! :mad: !

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,163 Posts
Sorry to hear of this. Like said above was it a member with a history on here or someone who was selling their truck and used this as a means to post? Members here are really good about offering to look at a truck for potential buyers and I have asked others to do this for me on both of the trucks I bought from members here.
Have you reached out to the person about the paint issue and seen if maybe something can be worked out?

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
45,621 Posts
I have given this some thought in the past and if I were to sell either one of my cars the SSR or the 35 Chevy to protect myself and the buyer it would be by inspection only by the buyer or a representative of the buyer that way there is nothing hidden.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Yup. You're right. Buyer beware. Just because it's a forum member selling a truck doesn't mean it's a good deal. Have you done your homework with resesrch here and asked questions? Has it been maintained? What's the carfax? What's the mileage? How's the tires and suspension? What upgrades have been done? Did you do an "in person" inspection or have another member inspect it? (paint & body) Is it priced right? If any of those questions have a red flag, then you're treading on thin ice. Sorry you feel like you got burnt.
It's called "Due Diligence ".

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
Welcome to the Real World TCD!
$.02
Don't get what you mean Bill "Welcome to the Real World" There's so many really nice SSR's out there for under 30 Thousand, I can't imagine paying 40 for one. "I got some ocean front property in Arizona and if you buy that, I'll throw the Golden Gate bridge in free" (written by Dean Dillon and sung by George Strait). :D :D :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
@SSRelax is from Penticton BC Canada. Perhaps the $40k was the Canadian equivalent price?

If it was a $30k US sale price, that would have been about $40k Canadian. Just sayin'.

Story is sad though. Buyer beware is a valid comment, but I suspect we have all been 'burned' at least once when buying something over the years. I know that I have ...

·
SSR Den Mother
3,643 Posts
You paid that much because you wanted that awesome truck. Now you can make it your own with a cool paint job. Sucks you spend money on it and it wasn’t what you thought it was. But everyone here will pay for upgrades and such. Drive it like you stole it and keep that smile. Research on the fanatics is the best and cheapest money you will ever spend on that truck. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
508 Posts
Don't get what you mean Bill "Welcome to the Real World" There's so many really nice SSR's out there for under 30 Thousand, I can't imagine paying 40 for one. "I got some ocean front property in Arizona and if you buy that, I'll throw the Golden Gate bridge in free" (written by Dean Dillon and sung by George Strait). :D :D :D :D :D
My only point is that in the special interest car world all we FANATICS subscribe to, there are a lot of differing opinions on value, all different and all valid to us personally. You and Bud are of the kind who decide what you want and what you are willing to pay and then are willing to wait till that deal comes along. Others find something they like and for whatever reason are willing to pay the going price up to probably a limit. SSRelax does not seem to regret paying $40K(whether Canadian or American) for an SSR but for that SSR. Look at the auction world and some of the utterly ridiculous prices paid for some cars. I think we can agree neither of us can imagine paying some of those amounts, but that is the collectors world.
My hope is that SSRelax can get his truck painted and have a vehicle he can enjoy like the rest of us. No matter what we paid each of us feels we have something special and of real value.
Too wordy as usual, but my $.02

·
Daily Driver
8,949 Posts
I'm not clear on the black top half. Did he say it was wrapped or pass it off as painted?
I take it the paint under the wrap was not discussed, you just assumed it was cherry?

·
Registered
2005 SSR
436 Posts
How about a new wrap? I have had a SUNTECH wrap on my Corvette for over 3 years with one ding in the front, which happened well over a 100mph so my bad.
My SSR was repaired before I bought it and could use some new paint. I am thinking to do the same color at that time to keep the job simple.
Drive it a lot, you'll forget how much you paid for it.
Ski p for Lynden, WA

·
Super Moderator
13,980 Posts
I see messages where people should buy from SSR Members, but that is crap.
Buy from a renowned member that has done upgrades from sources like MikeinAZ - Dictator - someone we can attest to.
Like everything, we can't believe in every member
**** is everywhere - you just happened to catch a turd that you could not trust

·
Slingshot Rules!
73,743 Posts
I see messages where people should buy from SSR Members, but that is crap.
Buy from a renowned member that has done upgrades from sources like MikeinAZ - Dictator - someone we can attest to.
Like everything, we can't believe in every member
**** is everywhere - you just happened to catch a turd that you could not trust
EXACTLY my point in Post #4, Dale . . .

There's a huge difference between a dedicated SSRFanatic member vs someone just "passing through" looking to make a fast buck by "dumping" an SSR and/or some spare parts.

·
Super Moderator
13,980 Posts
EXACTLY my point in Post #4, Dale . . .

There's a huge difference between a dedicated SSRFanatic member vs someone just "passing through" looking to make a fast buck by "dumping" an SSR and/or some spare parts.

Reminds me of a really old post of yours that made me laugh, obviously as I still recall it today - "Like a turd in a punch bowl"
Check in with us to see how valid the Member is - have a reputable member check it out for you.
There are many dedicated Fanatics who will help you out with that within reasonable mileage distance

1 - 20 of 20 Posts