Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully I am posting this in the right place!

I am looking at an SSR this coming Monday after wanting one for decades and I think this will be my chance! The seller is asking $15k for a 2004 with the "catch" being a salvage title. He told me the car went through a fence but had since been repaired. The vehicle does not currently have a rebuilt title but I am curious how difficult it will be to get one? I am assuming they didn't save any of the receipts of repair.

Will it be as easy as scheduling a inspection? Or will not having repair receipts be too problematic?

·
BLU SSR
4,053 Posts
This will vary depending on the state you are located and if the insurance company involved totaled it and paid off. If you can avoid getting a rebuilt/salvage title I would try to do so. The extent of the damage may determine if you have a choice in the matter. Have the repairs already been completed?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This will vary depending on the state you are located and if the insurance company involved totaled it and paid off. If you can avoid getting a rebuilt/salvage title I would try to do so. The extent of the damage may determine if you have a choice in the matter. Have the repairs already been completed?
Based on the photos it appears the damage was repaired. The seller claims the car went through a fence. Front end, fenders, hood and headlights were replaced.

·
Premium Member
05 aqua blur, the Blur 06 blue over silver the Streak
676 Posts
@SSReplay is correct. It depends on the state. Some states will let you recover a clean title if proof of repairs are made and it passes a state inspection. Some will not. Check with your state's Sec of State's office on their process.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
6,323 Posts
@Fr0stbit3, as long as the seller has SOME TYPE of title, proceed, if not walk away. The others are correct, check with your State DMV. IF the top does not work correctly, another BIG drawback. Meantime--Welcome from Forney Texas. Consider clicking on the Colored Letter/Picture, top far right corner, go down to "Account Settings", click, and fill in your information. Especially your LOCATION and the year of your SSR, after you get it, like the rest of us. Then go the the left side and click on "Signature". Also put the year of your SSR, after you get it, in your "Signature", and anything else you want to show in your posts, and we can help you better if you have a problem. When you finish click the "SAVE" box.

Click here for the "How To Library" OneDrive

Also click on this link and go to Post #1 Help Us Help You---UPDATE

Then go to the "New Member Section" and introduce yourself. New Member Section

Click here for parts, help and tips--Simple Engineering, LLC – Chevy SSR Aftermarket Parts, Accessories and Repair Solutions

Pinmap Available

Nick & Kathy

·
Slingshot Rules!
86,861 Posts

That's a tough one, @Fr0stbit3 . . . Good Luck and WELCOME.

As @SSReplay has already posted . . . depends on the State. Unfortunately, we have 50 States and probably have 25 different variants of the Vehicle Salvage Rules and Regulations.

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
$15K is a reasonable price for a running and driving truck with a clean title that may have a few issues or show some signs of wear. But $15K for a truck a salvage title is a little different. It better be clean, straight and have all the bells and whistles working. If not you might want to negotiate a little.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
we have rebuilt 2 trucks that now have salvaged titles. They were rebuilt ’good as new’. The problem with SSR’s is the new parts are not available through GM so it does not take much damage for the insurance company to total them. There are a lot of SSR‘s out there with a salvage title that are good trucks. It does hurt the value and some people run from them. Debbie is driving one now that I fixed with 9,000 miles and our insurance company is giving us full coverage. I did have to submit all receipts for parts (they are insuring the parts were not ‘hot’) I had to give them vin #’s where each part came from. This is in Tennessee and the truck has a sticker on driver side doorframe as rebuilt.
if you can see pictures of the damage to the truck and it’s cosmetic…go for it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a tough one, @Fr0stbit3 . . . Good Luck and WELCOME.

As @SSReplay has already posted . . . depends on the State. Unfortunately, we have 50 States and probably have 25 different variants of the Vehicle Salvage Rules and Regulations.

Im from Iowa and one of the steps seems to be taking the vehicle to a police station for inspection to make sure no parts are stolen. But what happens if there are no receipts for the repairs?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$15K is a reasonable price for a running and driving truck with a clean title that may have a few issues or show some signs of wear. But $15K for a truck a salvage title is a little different. It better be clean, straight and have all the bells and whistles working. If not you might want to negotiate a little.
Most of the SSRs for sale in my area average out at 30k
I am bringing a few friends with, one of which that builds cars as a hobby, to inspect it for me

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@SSReplay is correct. It depends on the state. Some states will let you recover a clean title if proof of repairs are made and it passes a state inspection. Some will not. Check with your state's Sec of State's office on their process.
I'm from Iowa and it states I need an inspection with receipts to prove nothing is stolen. But Im curious what happens if I cant provide those receipts?

·
Premium Member
2005 SSR
103 Posts
I've been in the car business for many years, normally if someone wants to trade in a car with a salvage title we value it a half of it's value then we would not sell it send it to auction. BUT with the SSR a insurance company may write off one with not that bad damage because they cannot gat the parts to repair it. So as long as there was no frame damage and the PRICE IS RIGHT I personally would still consider buying it, but have the repairs checked out. Hope that was of some use. AGAIN this is my opinion. Rich

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Most of the SSRs for sale in my area average out at 30k
I am bringing a few friends with, one of which that builds cars as a hobby, to inspect it for me
Are you sure they sell for that? Or is that the the asking price? $30K trucks are usually '05 or '06 and are very very clean. '03's and '04's rarely go for more than the low to mid $20's. And they all have a clean title.
Also, don't be afraid to shop outside of your area. There are some great '03's and '04's out there for very reasonable prices.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been in the car business for many years, normally if someone wants to trade in a car with a salvage title we value it a half of it's value then we would not sell it send it to auction. BUT with the SSR a insurance company may write off one with not that bad damage because they cannot gat the parts to repair it. So as long as there was no frame damage and the PRICE IS RIGHT I personally would still consider buying it, but have the repairs checked out. Hope that was of some use. AGAIN this is my opinion. Rich
It doesnt appear to have bad damage looking at it. The frame is something we are going to look at for sure! Knowing the age of the car is likely why insurance considered it a loss.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you sure they sell for that? Or is that the the asking price? $30K trucks are usually '05 or '06 and are very very clean. '03's and '04's rarely go for more than the low to mid $20's. And they all have a clean title.
Also, don't be afraid to shop outside of your area. There are some great '03's and '04's out there for very reasonable prices.
I browsed around within 500 miles and couldnt find much. Plus with my not great credit this was the best I could do.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another point to consider, @Fr0stbit3 . . .

What about the other contributing factors such as mileage and condition of the interior, etc?

Here are some of the photos he shared with me:
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

For having front damage it doesn’t appear there is anything I can see at least from these photos

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was at a dealership last week selling an 03 that was being held together with Velcro and covered in dents and scratches they were asking 25k for and they would NOT budge on the price. In fact they kept insisting that damage was “easy” to fix.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts