Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, thanks for all the info here. Search doesn't seem to be working, so sorry if these have been addressed before... I'm thinking of buying an '04--just saw a nice one for $36k though I haven't checked other dealers here. I looked at them when they were new on the market, but not since, and while I'm reading diligently now... I'm playing catch-up.

- How are they driving in rain/snow/ice? I live in Va and we get some snow and bad weather, and this will be a daily driver until I can get something cheap to bang around in. Most of the year is top-down weather except for a few months.

- I'm a car driver, never had a truck. SSR drives more truck-like than car-like (as opposed to my El Camino, which drives like a car), plus less passenger room (no back seat). I'm not positive I can adjust, but I love the look of the SSR and have drooled over them since I first saw it. Any thoughts on that adjustment? Anyone else go through that?

- And lastly, if I get one and change my mind, how is the resale value on SSRs?

Thanks everyone!

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,829 Posts
Well

With those questions, I don't think you want it bad enough. Only you will know!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
REBEL said:
With those questions, I don't think you want it bad enough. Only you will know!
I'm wanting it more by the hour :)

I'm more concerned now about how to hook up an ipod.

·
Registered
19 Posts
you have to buy it because you want it.. resale... dreaming baby. once you drive it that is all it takes. it does not drive like a truck at all.. i have a 1982 el camino and the ssr drive smooth nd nice power. i just wish i had more time to drive it / them.

2004 ssr
1982 el camino
1979 corvette
2004 ford lightning

love them all

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sullo, While I've only had mine for a week, in that time we've had one of the worst ice/snows in quite a while here in the "Land of OZ", I've had no, NO problem getting around. The "truck" drives like a Vett. (No offence intended to the Vett owners) My SSR is my daily driver, the T/C works very well in the snow and ice, but it's a beast with out it on!!! Hope this helps. Buy it or regrett it for the rest of your life!

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
I may be able to answer some of the questions and I hope other can answer the rest since I have some of the same ones..

Since I'm looking for the 6 speed version it looks like my only current option is to go to the dealer and pay their price. What would be considered a good deal - invoice??

Driving in rain - I test drove and auto and a stick in the rain yesterday. The traction is way better than the truck I drive now. I was able to get to full throttle in first and second gears without wheelspin, just had to roll onto the throttle not punch it.. Very stable cornering and braking as well.

Driving - car or truck - The SSR drives more like my wifes BMW than my Dakota.

Resale - I did a quick look at KBB.com last night. I would appear that the resale holds up better than a regular truck. SSR in one year and 10,000 miles loses ~ 5% of its value whereas a Silerado under the same conditions loses 20 to 30% of its value. I expect this is due to the limited production of the SSR about 8 to 9000 a year versus many thousands of regular trucks.

Thanks for the time and space
Potential SSR owner - as soon as this week with the right deal..

Art

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks stretch, that's good to know. makes me feel better!

fatrat96, too bad about the resale! I see some on carmax.com that are still $33k+ used which seems kind of silly given the new 2004 prices. By the way my Elky is really an '82 Caballero, which I also love, but it needs a lot of work.

I'm going to join the owners club come Monday. My initial hesitation is over.

Does anyone know if the stereo has an Aux-jack in the front or back for an ipod? I also don't recall seeing a cig lighter in the front for a power source--is there one (I know there's on in the bed)?

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
No Aux- Jack But you can buy the adapter that hooks into the Cig-lighter and plug it into the Ipod to hear the music out of the speaker, through the radio. cost about 35$

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wildcat66 said:
No Aux- Jack But you can buy the adapter that hooks into the Cig-lighter and plug it into the Ipod to hear the music out of the speaker, through the radio. cost about 35$
I have an older Belkin radio kit and am not entirely happy with the quality, but it could be my car's radio, too. Only one way to find out!!

hdflstf, thanks for the info. I checked the local dealers & found one that on their web site has listed 2003 models still at around $55k, 2004/2005 around $44k... so the pricing seems really all over the place & weird. It could be their site is just not updated properly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts