Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I have up to a year or 12,000 miles to by an extended warrenty from GM. So far I haven't found a good service dealer in New Jersey. Would I get better service if I bought the extended service warrenty from a local dealer?

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,060 Posts
My nickel...

dougnc said:
I believe I have up to a year or 12,000 miles to by an extended warrenty from GM. So far I haven't found a good service dealer in New Jersey. Would I get better service if I bought the extended service warrenty from a local dealer?
Here's my take on Extended Warranties.....

1) DO NOT get anything other than GMPP. period. All others I looked at, had clauses about not covering "convertible tops" in them. That left a huge grey area where the top and systems are concerned for the SSR. The GMPP covers the top and all hydraulics & electrics.

2) Shop around for GMPP pricing. There is as much mark-up on Extended Warranties as there is on the price of the vehicle and spare parts. I have not found anyone with better pricing that Fichtner Chevrolet.... Call Dennis Fichtner for a quote. 406-628-4618

3) The place that sells you the Extended Warranty DOES NOT have to do the work. When you are talking to Dennis Fichtner, ask him about it. I believe he will tell you that ANY shop that will accept GMPP payment for their work is acceptable. There may be a licensing or registration involved with GMPP and the shop..... I have no experience here, as I have lots of good (?) dealerships in the Phoenix area.

4) GMPP is coverage in parallel with your factory warranty from the time you start it. In some cases, your extended warranty actually gets you a rental car faster and with less hassle than the factory warranty. Look it up and ask Dennis about this also.

My nickels worth of input. It actually felt like a vent.:rolleyes: Aaahhhhh....:)

Good Luck,

Mike:jester

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Thanks for the tip Mike, MY new Corvette was born yesterday 3/8/06. Dennis gave a very good price no a 84/70/0.:jester

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Dennis saved me $1400 from my local dealer when I purchased my extended warranty at 34K miles.

P/P

Peace:flag

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Good advice regarding GMPP. Only way to go but many dealers will sell your extended warrenty. Usually your dealer will give a little better service if he has sold you the above.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Purple Penelope said:
Dennis saved me $1400 from my local dealer when I purchased my extended warranty at 34K miles.

P/P

Peace:flag
I thought to get the GMPP you had to buy it within a year?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scheide said:
Good advice regarding GMPP. Only way to go but many dealers will sell your extended warrenty. Usually your dealer will give a little better service if he has sold you the above.
That's what I was thinking.

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
Extended warranty info!

Hello: Hal here.I sold service contracts while doing the function as business Mgr.
Finance etc. and Mike is accurate in his information,for all the reasons he mentioned.If anyone has purchased a non GM extended warranty,double check
the coverage as stated in the policy ie:some contracts are considered to be
exclusionary:meaning they state what is not covered,hence,if it is not in the exclusion you are ok! The problem that one might face is , if they purchased
a non exclusionary policy,too many components not covered?!These service agreements are cancellable and usually pro-rated relative to miles and or time
spent,in another words time left on contract.It generally takes up to six weeks
to recieve a refund,if one paid cash the refund will come to you,however,if the dollar amount paid for S/C was financed the refund amount will be applied to
your retail sales contract as a principal payment. FYI:) PS: I forgot to mention,that you can purchase a
extended New policy any time during factory basic coverage time.IMO,waiting serves no purpose,they are subject to price hikes once to twice a year, relative to ongoing cost of repair adjustments etc.

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
dougnc said:
I thought to get the GMPP you had to buy it within a year?
Not so....who said that???? Certainly not Dennis Fitchner. The earlier in the ownership you buy it, it is cheaper.

P/P

Peace :flag

1 - 12 of 12 Posts