Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 13 years and 110,000 miles, our loaded 05' slingshot chrome is gone, but not really missed. I know I will forget some things, but a breif synopsis of our experience over the years of onwership since brand new:

Tires. Many. Keeping tires on the vehicle was just as challanging as finding the right size- difficult and frurstrating dealing with such weird sizes and manufactures. It never had the stock size on both front or rear at any one time.

Front end alignments. Won't miss these either. I lost count of front end allignments (and tires - see above) this thing went through over the years. Very front end heavy car. Any, even a slight jolt, would toe this thing in.

Upper and lower control arms and bushings. I think maybe went through at least 2 of each. Related to the fragile front end mentioned above I suspect.

Struts. 2 pair over the 110K.

Heat. Not good here in AZ and even after the great help and products produced by Mike in AZ, I still went through 2 fans and always ran hot in the summer.

Brake booster replaced. Not fun

2 water pumps replaced. -easy and cheap to do thank goodness, sorta fun!

Roof stopped working 4 years ago. Want the roof to open and not go into "hall mode"?.... open it manually on an incline because it too is heavy.

HVAC damper flapper - broke and premanatly stuck in "recirculation" mode.

No cabin filter .....I wonder what is inside the blower?!

Window indexing always out of whack.

Fan position 3 and 4 stopped working in 2011.

Starter replaced at 95K.

CD player- ate a CD to never be ejected or played again. This was in 2009 I think?

Oil leaks and consumption. little drips always being whiped up off the floor. Burned oil too. quart every 1500. But hey, it's an LS2 right? Even after Mobile 1 oil changes it's entire life at least once a year/8,000 miles or so when the DIC hit 0%.

Transmission(s). 2 of them. $5K a whack.

Transmission leaks. Just like oil. Stop fighting it.

Ignition switches. Changed out as many times as I changed oil I think.

Sometime the gauges would not work. The next day they would.

Windshild whippers.....has anyone ever found the correct replacement? Ran these dumb NAPA types for years without windshild washer nozzels. Could never use the washers.

4 visits to the dealer in the first 3 years of warantee-various things -mostly electrical grimlins and roof not operating or would just die in traffic to never be re-started. At one point in 2007 it spent 3.5 WEEKS at the dealer trying to fix a problem! ...."dont see these everyday - it's an exotic car - GM does not have OEM parts for this", yada, yada, etc. Finally, they made some make shift fuse box to limp along for the remainder of its life. That sucked.

Otherwise, the car drew attention and had to always whip nose prints off the windows! Always garnered great conversations at the gas stations.

Kept it in prestine condition; not a dent or scratch on it and got a good price for it. I was religious about clay barring and paint sealing (rejex) every 5 months. Looked brand new -headlights looked like glass not plastic.

Thanks to eveyone on here over the years, but this is my last ride. Enjoying the 2018 Camaro 2SS LT1 now and so far, not missing the R one single bit.

Bye to one and all!

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Hope you make out better with the new ride but I think not.
Sounds like you may be a little hard on your vehicles. I had more miles and WAY less trouble than you with my SSR, but I believe in regular scheduled maintenance and respecting mechanical things. Best of luck with the new ride.

·
Premium Member
19,895 Posts
A lot of his problems have been solved here on forum sounds like a ign switch a time or two , a fuse box repair . Shoulda got a trans from Phoenix trans. I bet river rat or dicktator and his crew coulda fixed the roof . But hey it was a good run I guess

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,559 Posts
A lot of his problems have been solved here on forum sounds like a ign switch a time or two , a fuse box repair . Shoulda got a trans from Phoenix trans. I bet river rat or dicktator and his crew coulda fixed the roof . But hey it was a good run I guess
===============================================

Man, I would never have kept any vehicle 13 years and over 110k miles if I felt that way about it. :frown2:

Kinda sounds like you feel it was really just a lemon! :)yellow:!!)---To me at this point it sounds like more of a case of Sour Grapes.........

2018-03-28-21-54-59-1461974702.jpeg <--------------> 2018-03-28-21-55-11-1664513966.jpeg

===================
David :black:

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Gee, I don't know... for 13 years and 110K miles I really don't thinks that's all that bad. Maybe it's because I played with British cars for so long.

·
Premium Member
7,342 Posts
Agree with Warrior=='06. I would have never kept that, what sounds like "a bucket of junk" for 13 years and 110,000 miles. Sounds like it was made on Monday morning early (after "Hangover Tavern") or Friday afternoon (it's "Finally Friday"). Sorry to see you leave but you certainly picked out a nice ride. Have fun, YOU deserve it after all you been through. tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Sold for / Trade in value.

Sorry you had to endure all these issues, :frown2: seems like you did get a LEMON :crying:with all the repeated repairs you made. Could you share with us what you sold it or traded it in for.

Long may you run with your NEW Z shining in the Arizona Sun" :sunce:

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,862 Posts
kk7ac states he got a good price for his truck, I wonder if he gave the new owner this dirty laundry list? All manufactures do build a lemon or two... I guess we can give him credit for hanging in there for so long.

Fortunately, the vast majority of us have not had these types of issues. At 50,000 miles, I've only changed out the ignition switch....

·
Premium Member
3,719 Posts
Just a minor point.

But to is not too.

That constant mistake is too much. I hope to see too used correctly in the future.

The Camaro should definitely be an upgrade in reliability. If you don't like it, please don't keep it that long. Some cars just continue to have problems. It sounds like your SSR was one of those.

Keep in touch on how you like it.

Dave

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt
47,301 Posts
If you read kk7ac 's back posts he did not give up easy, he tried everything that was suggested to him . I give him credit for hanging on to it as long as he did the roof problem haunted him for years and ended up being a bad brake booster. I sure hope he has better luck with his new ride.

·
Premium Member
1,835 Posts
Just gotta jump in here and comment. I think overall kk7ac was a happy owner during those 13 years of ownership. We all reflect on our “bad” relationships years after BUT we have no regrets. I never read where he had regrets.....only challenges to keep his R on the road. Some owners do not have the temperament for the stupid things that break or wear out....he sure did. I have to say I admire his ability to adapt instead of repair/replace the pieces requiring more research. The Camero may give him an issue or two as well but time will tell and as long as he’s smiling....that’s all that counts. Best of luck....come back and visit once in a while?

OLDxR

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Agree with Warrior=='06. I would have never kept that, what sounds like "a bucket of junk" for 13 years and 110,000 miles. Sounds like it was made on Monday morning early (after "Hangover Tavern") or Friday afternoon (it's "Finally Friday"). Sorry to see you leave but you certainly picked out a nice ride. Have fun, YOU deserve it after all you been through. tennesseecozydog :ssr
:grin2:

Man, I was thinkin' EXACTLY the same thing while I was reading the original post......must have been built on a Monday.:wink2:

·
RED SLED
440 Posts
Farewell and best of luck in your new ride.

I have experienced many cars in my lifetime, British cars were the worst for needing constant repairs but when they worked they were a blast. Every car will have it's shortcomings and perfect they are not. BUT, I love driving the SSR and hope to continue to do so for many many years. It sounds to me more like you were justifying why you needed to buy a Camaro. Honestly, most of us don't care why. You made the choice to move forward to something else, not us. That's human nature.

On a side note, I'll bet you can provide a longer list of the problems you've faced in your marriage. Hopefully you don't trade her in on a new model but if you do, please don't provide us the list of why :)

Enjoy!

Stew

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,312 Posts
Man I hope you enjoy the Camaro and have better luck with it. I hope you had more good times then bad and got to enjoy the truck while you did own it.

·
Crazy Horse
666 Posts
Goood Luck ole friend. Just be careful who does your maintenance especially front end work. Like a dog chasing his tail.!!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts