Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Two Tone Owner
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:yellow: Did anyone install a CB radio and antenna in a SSR? I like one for traveling. I think I can put the radio under the ashtray. That doesn't seem to be a problem. I can plug it into the power outlet next to the ashtray. The antenna mount is a different story. I don't want to use a magnetic mount (scratch the paint). Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Walter:banghead

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,397 Posts
The CB Radio I used is an old Sears RoadTalker 40 with the controls in the mic. The works are designed to mount under the seat, but since there was no room for that I mounted them in the Top storage area, on top of the sound box, with heavy duty velcro. I ran the mic cable through the box and over the waterfall fuse box then through the slot for the parking brake. The mic sits in the tray which covers the parking brake (JR's Tray). The antenna I used is a mag mount and the lead follows the cables for the flipper on the Top storage cover so the antenna sits right at the center of the rear window when the top is up and behind the flippper section when the top is down. I only run the antenna when using the radio. Otherwis I take the whip off and put it in the bottom of the storage area and move the mag mount and coil to the underside of the top storage cover. It still clears the top when it is stored.

This arrangement has worked for me for my nearly 12K mile trip to and from Kerrville, and while I know this radio is no longer available, I understand that Cobra has a similar radio on the market these days. If you are interested I will make the effort to take some pictures sooner than later.

·
Two Tone Owner
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to see some pics of the antenna. I think I can still mount my radio under the ashtray and run the antenna wire through the emergency brake handle hole. Do you stick the magnet mount right on the painted surface or do you put a picece of cloth under it so as not to scratch the paint? Thanks, Walter:yellow:

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,397 Posts
I would like to see some pics of the antenna. I think I can still mount my radio under the ashtray and run the antenna wire through the emergency brake handle hole. Do you stick the magnet mount right on the painted surface or do you put a picece of cloth under it so as not to scratch the paint? Thanks, Walter:yellow:
I do not put anything under the magnet but it has a plastic wafer glued on. Here are some pictures. If you PM me an email address I will send the Hi Res version if you want them.

#3 also shows my solution to the speaker problem. The hook on the speaker is standard but I lined it with the soft side of sticky back velcro so I don't scratch the WindSupreSSR

Attachments

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,397 Posts
more pix
Two views with top down and three with top upp

Attachments

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,397 Posts
and a few more
Top up to down transition with antenna mounted

and radio mounted from both sides

and a couple showing how the stowed antenna fits with the top down.

Attachments

Reactions: wolfpacker

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,397 Posts

·
Two Tone Owner
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:yellow: Thanks for the great pictures. You made it simple. 1 picture is worth 1000 words. Thanks again, Walter:)

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,397 Posts
:yellow: Thanks for the great pictures. You made it simple. 1 picture is worth 1000 words. Thanks again, Walter:)
That is why we are all here.

You are quite welcome

1 - 10 of 10 Posts