Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Daily Driver
9,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read this week California added an extra step to its smog checks.
California’s new testing procedure will measure emissions, ensure monitors are set, and also check to see if any software in the vehicle’s Engine Control Unit (ECU) has been altered. They claim it’s always been on the books they just never enforced it.

Best check it out yourself to see if it affects you, I'm passing this on as gossip not official.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
4,437 Posts
I heard something similar last week. Basically if you have a tune you are in trouble. So what will happen now to the trucks with a professional tune, is there anyway to down load it into a hand held tuner and put your stock tune back in?

Is it going to be a fine offense or will they make you get it restored back to stock?

·
Slingshot Rules!
79,652 Posts

Many years ago prior to relocating to Tucson . . . My 1987 Chevy Silverado flunked the annual Smog Test due to an upgraded exhaust system. I was kinda stumped and did not know what to do. A few days later while at work I was complaining about the weird system when a customer walked up and stated his shop was nearby and he would be able to pass my truck.

I was shocked to put it mildly. I learned that California grants Smog Testing to any repair shop for a fee with very few restrictions. Read: "If this vehicle flunks I will make more money on repairs."

Here in Arizona the Emission Test Stations are just that and nothing more. Not only NO REPAIRS WHATSOEVER but the employees are not even allowed to suggest or recommend a repair shop in the event of a vehicle test failure. Definitely tends to keep everyone honest.

MAKES SENSE TO ME.

! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: !

·
Ex SoCal Nut
10,010 Posts
According to one Ca Official release, you will automatically Fail if the vehicle has been tuned. The advice was to return the ECU back to stock before testing, then you can go back in and install the tune.... good for another 2 years. Used to be we'd take the car in and let it Fail first before doing any repairs. the re test was free of charge as they charged the fee on the first check. Don't know if that is still true today or not.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
So if your tune still keeps you in specs for the emissions, you can still fail because it is not the factory tune?

·
Ex SoCal Nut
10,010 Posts
Yikes, I’m screwed.
You can always go in early to when your tags are due and see if it Fails. If Joe did the tune for you, he has a folder saved for you and can reset for you. Maybe even have a smog station close by that you can have the retest done and then return to him and reinstall your tune. Just a thought. Road Trip !!!! LoL...

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,201 Posts
Here in Arizona the Emission Test Stations are just that and nothing more. Not only NO REPAIRS WHATSOEVER but the employees are not even allowed to suggest or recommend a repair shop in the event of a vehicle test failure. Definitely tends to keep everyone honest.

MAKES SENSE TO ME.

Texas tried that a long time ago, 1990's maybe? They built a FEW stations but it didn't last long. Maybe 5 years at most. Went back to any shop that wanted to buy/install the equipment needed. A lot of shops gave it up after they went to having to install a dyno type roller in the floor, with an exhaust sniffer stuck in the tailpipe, and pay to maintain it and have it inspected yearly. The shop I use did away with his dyno/roller and only inspects newer ones that they only need to plug into the OBD II connecter and then tests the gas cap. $25.50 THEIR STATE SET fee for 10 minutes time. Doesn't look at brake lights, wiper blades turn signals, honk horn or drive like the old days. Only test for Emissions controls. REALLY a joke. Some legislators have been trying to do away with it but the State wants it's inspection fee of $8.25 tacked onto license plate fee for a total of $76.25.

Nick

·
MY05SSR
2005 Aqua Blur, 6 speed
760 Posts
Does that mean ,that us from Georgia- with our FINE tune SSR's are not allowed in your state! I paid good money to get mine Dyno tuned

·
Premium Member
713 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
MO used to be just safety inspection. Then Kansas City and St Louis got to do smog as well. At first it was done with a sniffer in the tail pipe and the usual safety. Some times the sniffer would be forgotten to be pulled out of the car next to your hotrod and you passed with flying colors. Then the state wanted it's cut to be bigger so they went to their own inspection stations. They did a visual inspection as well as the rollers. They tore up quite a few cars with that set up. Putting front wheel drive cars on the rollers with the back wheels. All wheel drive on a one set of roller machine. And people were notorious of making claims for transmission problems after they got their car inspected. It lasted a couple of years and they went back to the local shops doing it. Now it is pretty much if it has an OBDII port to plug in it gets that if it is older then just a safety.

What I don't get is years ago when it was the sniffer my Buick Grand National ran cleaner with the cat removed and a chip in it than it did with the stock stuff. They couldn't pass it with the test pipe put in but I took the converter and knocked all of the stuff out of it and it passed.

If you go to the county past mine they don't require the emissions inspections just the safety.

My black 05 has a tune in it and it passed with no problem.
My black 04 had a code not showing still from fixing the gas tank and it passed because you are allowed to have one not reading and still pass.

I think ours costs $38 for safety and emissions.

·
Slingshot Rules!
79,652 Posts
Just checked, Nick @nj6969 . . . here in Tucson the charge is $12.50 for two years.

The Doophus passes without issues even with a performance tune and rarely takes more than about 15 - 20 minutes.

The Bummer is exempt due to "Old Age" . . .

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,179 Posts
I’ll just share a couple thoughts…

Truth be told, I’m a native Californian.:oops: BUT I got here as fast as I could…as the saying goes and I’ve been here over half my life. My native Texan wife @Parnelli says I’m a Texan, and perhaps needless to say, I’m good with her ruling… hence my forum handle.

I was there when CA started smog testing and passed a few and failed one. The one I failed was for an EGR leak check, yet it passed emissions with flying colors. I replaced the EGR and drove back up and passed, yet the engine ran dirtier from an emissions perspective. Victory? Subsequently I’ve always had issue with equipment checks, but I’m in favor of sniff checks. FWIW, my yearly plates dropped by over 85% when I moved here.

Since I’ve been in Texas, I’ve experienced the yearly “safety inspections”, sniff tests as all the cars pull onto the freeway onramp (yes, it works), sniff tests during the safety inspections and now ODBII checks. The only issue I’ve had here in Texas was when I pulled the tune back out and it reset all the tests and subsequently failed. After talking with the tech, I now roll through “fully tuned” with no issues.

Back to California. The Magnuson TVS 1900 is CARB legal, meaning it is legal in California and I’ve got the paper that states it. Any s/c install will require the ECU to be reprogrammed/tuned. I’m not sure how the TVS 1900 would be CARB legal and a tune would be illegal.

I’m not suggesting the original post is wrong, its just got me wondering.:unsure:

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
29,116 Posts
Back to California. The Magnuson TVS 1900 is CARB legal, meaning it is legal in California and I’ve got the paper that states it. Any s/c install will require the ECU to be reprogrammed/tuned. I’m not sure how the TVS 1900 would be CARB legal and a tune would be illegal.

I’m not suggesting the original post is wrong, its just got me wondering.:unsure:

I think that is covered in the second link in Post #12 and hopefully I can bring it here

·
Premium Member
Blown 2003 No. 2924
920 Posts
Magnusson did not issue CARB compliance stickers with the TVS 1900 SSR kits indicating their exemption. The CARB EO which exempted the MP 112 for SSRs, however, did not specifically cite the name “MP 112” but rather just said “Magnusson root type supercharger,” which the TVS also is. Personally, I’m gonna hang my hat on that as long as I can. Probably still has to pass both the emissions probe and the software probe as well. At least here in California.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,179 Posts
Magnusson did not issue CARB compliance stickers with the TVS 1900 SSR kits indicating their exemption. The CARB EO which exempted the MP 112 for SSRs, however, did not specifically cite the name “MP 112” but rather just said “Magnusson root type supercharger,” which the TVS also is. Personally, I’m gonna hang my hat on that as long as I can. Probably still has to pass both the emissions probe and the software probe as well. At least here in California.

Scroll down and see the bottom of page 2 of Exhibit A, it covers ours. Unfortunately it doesn’t list earlier years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts