Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears my 05 SSR's HVAC system has decided that I don't know what temperature I would like the cab to be while I'm driving.

The left hand dial knob (temp knob) of the HVAC controls does not result in a change in the air being let into the cab with the blower motor on. Only when I turn the mode dial knob (right most dial knob) to the full defrost setting (last clockwise notch) does the temp of the air become warm/hot. That seems to suggest the heater core and air flow around the core is ok, just not the control line from the left temp dial knob.

About 1 of every 5 startups can I get some heat out of the system, but it's very random.

I searched for anyone else with this problem and I didn't see any postings relating to this issue. I also searched the NHTSA TSB listing and I only found one TSB relating to HVAC blower motor not being turned on properly.

I already had an appointment scheduled on Monday 12/19/05 for a few issues.

1) Rear end whine noise (ring and pinion gear changes)
2) Oil leak near the starter motor and draining down the transmission bell housing
3) Electric motor like "whirring" noise (with the colder temp) from behind the driver seat (fuel pump?)
4) And now #4, HVAC temp control knob does not regulate the temp of the air blowing out of the air vents.

This should be a fun trip to the service department on Monday. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Cabin temp & Differential Soise

It will be interesting to know what the dealer tells you about the rear-end noise. I'm having the same problem with my 05 Colorado Sport p/u. It sounds like a ring and pinion adjustment noise to me. Some of the threads herein make it sound like it might be driveshaft harmonics. My dealer at least has admitted to a noise being present. I guess that is a start...

Stroker

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
shiftz33 said:
It appears my 05 SSR's HVAC system has decided that I don't know what temperature I would like the cab to be while I'm driving.

The left hand dial knob (temp knob) of the HVAC controls does not result in a change in the air being let into the cab with the blower motor on. Only when I turn the mode dial knob (right most dial knob) to the full defrost setting (last clockwise notch) does the temp of the air become warm/hot. That seems to suggest the heater core and air flow around the core is ok, just not the control line from the left temp dial knob.

About 1 of every 5 startups can I get some heat out of the system, but it's very random.

I searched for anyone else with this problem and I didn't see any postings relating to this issue. I also searched the NHTSA TSB listing and I only found one TSB relating to HVAC blower motor not being turned on properly.

I already had an appointment scheduled on Monday 12/19/05 for a few issues.

1) Rear end whine noise (ring and pinion gear changes)
2) Oil leak near the starter motor and draining down the transmission bell housing
3) Electric motor like "whirring" noise (with the colder temp) from behind the driver seat (fuel pump?)
4) And now #4, HVAC temp control knob does not regulate the temp of the air blowing out of the air vents.

This should be a fun trip to the service department on Monday. :)

I think I did at one point have a temp control (or lack thereof) problem, but it went away on it's on.

I've had a mysterious noise from behind the seats for quite sometime, but it's completely random so I cannot duplicate it. I have no idea what it is.

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Being a C5 Corvette owner rest assured that high pitched whine is the fuel pump. Live with it thats how it is. You should have heard the ones in the 1997 model year it sounded like a power drill running in back of the seat. NOW I did notice on my 2004 C5 after I had about 5K miles on it the pump was getting louder than when it was new.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trip one to the service department is over.

Results:

1) Oil leak - leak is coming from engine oil pan - ordering new oil pan gasket
2) HVAC temp control problem - ordered new HVAC control module (for dash).
3) Rear end whine - Ordering new ring and pinion gear set
4) Power Steering pump leak - ordered new power steering pump top half
5) Electric whirring noise - Emission control EVAP venting motor "normal".

The HVAC control panel and power steering pump parts were hopefully received today by the parts department. The oil pan gasket and "ring and pinion gear set" are being ordered today.

I'm taking it back in on 1/3/06 to get all of the new parts installed.

This service department was willing to look at each and every concern I noted with the truck and they're addressing each one. MUCH better than the place where I had my 03 SSR serviced at.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I've found that I have to move the temperature knob one setting and then back for the heat to kick in, after a warm up from a cold start.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
No problems with heater or ac, except for operator malfunction. After I read manual and followed directions, everything was fine.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've tried the "move the setting one or multiple positions" approach in the past. For my SSR, it just doesn't change the temp. If I go to the "3 o'clock" position (hotest temp on the printed label on the dial) and then click on notch past that point, the temp actually goes down. The shop lead tech that I demonstrated this behavior to was quite shocked at how badly my temp control was working.

My 03 SSR had no problem with this particular feature.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
shiftz33 said:
Trip one to the service department is over.

Results:

1) Oil leak - leak is coming from engine oil pan - ordering new oil pan gasket
2) HVAC temp control problem - ordered new HVAC control module (for dash).
3) Rear end whine - Ordering new ring and pinion gear set
4) Power Steering pump leak - ordered new power steering pump top half
5) Electric whirring noise - Emission control EVAP venting motor "normal".

The HVAC control panel and power steering pump parts were hopefully received today by the parts department. The oil pan gasket and "ring and pinion gear set" are being ordered today.

I'm taking it back in on 1/3/06 to get all of the new parts installed.

This service department was willing to look at each and every concern I noted with the truck and they're addressing each one. MUCH better than the place where I had my 03 SSR serviced at.
Well, I for one am sorry to see that you are having any problems with your SSR...:mad

I hope that this is it.

I have had my in for service more than 20 times....but now I think everything is good to go....(well I do notice now a loud clanking when I shift from park to drive:banghead )

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took my 05 SSR back into the Folsom Chevrolet service department on 01/03/06. I was called on 01/05/06 stating it was ready for pickup, minus one thing.

The HVAC control problem was resolved by the installation of a new HVAC control panel (three dial assembly in the dash). I can now get heat into the CAB on a cold day!

The power steering fluid leak was resolved by the replacement of the power steering pump.

The engine oil leak was resolved by dropping the engine oil pan and installing a new oil pan gasket. They had to drop the front end to get the oil pan off so they had to realign the front end when they were done.

The rear end. They replaced the ring/pinion gear assembly, but the sound did not change much. They were instructed by the GM Tech line to replace the entire rear end. That's on order and will arrive in the next few days/weeks.

That's 3 out of 4 issues resolved!

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
shiftz33 said:
Took my 05 SSR back into the Folsom Chevrolet service department on 01/03/06. I was called on 01/05/06 stating it was ready for pickup, minus one thing.

The HVAC control problem was resolved by the installation of a new HVAC control panel (three dial assembly in the dash). I can now get heat into the CAB on a cold day!

The power steering fluid leak was resolved by the replacement of the power steering pump.

The engine oil leak was resolved by dropping the engine oil pan and installing a new oil pan gasket. They had to drop the front end to get the oil pan off so they had to realign the front end when they were done.

The rear end. They replaced the ring/pinion gear assembly, but the sound did not change much. They were instructed by the GM Tech line to replace the entire rear end. That's on order and will arrive in the next few days/weeks.

That's 3 out of 4 issues resolved!

Already you are having too many issues again. :eek
(Has your Dogma been hit by GMs Karma again?)

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As of 2/27/06, the engine oil pan leak is back. On Thursday my SSR goes back in for repair attempt #2. This time the oil leak didn't show up for 2000 miles. I hope this doesn't turn into an every 2000 mile repair. I guess I should look at it this way, I get another "free" oil change with this repair.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Repair attempt #2 on my engine oil leak has been completed. The RO states:

Verified oil leaking from right rear corner down starter bolt. Removed starter and with blacklight pinpointed leak to side main cap crossbolt. Removed bolt and found threads wet and sealant wet.

Replaced side crossbolt for maincap on right rear of engine and cleaned area. Started and verified no leaks at this time.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's my guess that was likely the source all along. Only time will tell since it took a few thousand miles to have the first and second occurance of the leak show up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts