Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 2004 with a Diablo Trinity tuner. Recently upgraded the differential to a 4.10. Having trouble getting the speedo calibrated and I'm also getting ABS/Service brake system warnings. Yet the brakes work fine. Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks Brett

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,198 Posts
I have a 2004 with a Diablo Trinity tuner. Recently upgraded the differential to a 4.10. Having trouble getting the speedo calibrated and I'm also getting ABS/Service brake system warnings. Yet the brakes work fine. Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks Brett
Hi Brett,

The reason you are getting the ABS system warning is the 4.10 gearset calibration. The ABS system is the input point for the driveshaft speed sensor and the front wheel (one left and one right) speed sensors. Until you get the gearset compensated for in the tuning, you will continue to get these warnings.

Be aware that your truck will be more sensitive with respect to the Traction Control system. It uses the data from the ABS speed sensor relationship to judge whether you are experiencing rear wheel spin. When the TC system engages, you will get a light in the dash and a very abrupt throttle closure. If you are driving the truck before getting the gearset calibration changed, it might be wise to deselect the TC system with the console switch.

Regards,

Mike

·
Super Moderator
14,055 Posts
I didn't think the 4.10/4.11 gear change affected the speedo issue, but apparently, it does.
I had trouble with my 4.56 gears getting it right and only think I am "close" to being correct
Love the 4.56's combined with the 6sp though!

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Brett,

The reason you are getting the ABS system warning is the 4.10 gearset calibration. The ABS system is the input point for the driveshaft speed sensor and the front wheel (one left and one right) speed sensors. Until you get the gearset compensated for in the tuning, you will continue to get these warnings.
Thanks, Mike.
So far it appears that I'm only getting the brake warning lights while the Diablo canned tune is installed. I went back to the original factory tune and I didn't get any warning lights. I made a mistake of trying to install a tune with the engine running. I'm guessing that might have something to do with it.

Thanks agaon.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't think the 4.10/4.11 gear change affected the speedo issue, but apparently, it does.
I had trouble with my 4.56 gears getting it right and only think I am "close" to being correct
Love the 4.56's combined with the 6sp though!
I'm still not so sure what has caused the change of the speedo reading or the brake warning lights coming on. For now, it has been restored to factory tune. I have found a local shop that will do a dyno tune for 450.00. So I think I'll go that direction and use that tuner on the Silverado.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I think you're on the right path as it sounds like something in your tuner isn't right. I have an 04 with a 4:10 gear. I use a flashpaq superchips tuner. It calibrates the speedo for the gear change and I have 0 problems with it.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
works on LS2

Have you had your R tuned other than the Diablo?

I might suggest that you have that done. We have a couple people who tune.

I added a 4.56 rear and ported and polished throttle body. Also lowered the temp for fan etc..

I have an LS2 and a six speed, so it is a different animal, but made an excellent adjustment. Speed with in +/- 2mph depending on which tires I am running. I am quite pleased.

Dave

·
Registered
446 Posts
@dave

Do you happen to know what brand software your tuner used? Had mine done locally with HPTuner as well as another software and cannot get the speedo correct in the 4.56.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Have you had your R tuned other than the Diablo?

I might suggest that you have that done. We have a couple people who tune.

I added a 4.56 rear and ported and polished throttle body. Also lowered the temp for fan etc..

I have an LS2 and a six speed, so it is a different animal, but made an excellent adjustment. Speed with in +/- 2mph depending on which tires I am running. I am quite pleased.

Dave
I'm very interested in this whole posting topic. Cause within the next two months or so, my plans are to arrange a date/time up in Raleigh to get my rear end ratio switched out to 4:56 and I think I have identified a shop in Raleigh that can then alter the speedo so that it again becomes accurate.

Exactly what module or whatever.........does the "speedo change" mod need to be made from. I'm thinking I have done pretty much nothing (but a slight exhaust change) to effect the "tune" already done before I bought the truck.

So, I want the (speedo) corrected after the gear change, but I'm not wanting any other jerking around with the "tune" that is already there.:|

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
If "the tune that's already there" is from GM, it sucks. It leaves a lot of performance fun on the table. That was designed by people who worried about warranty costs in a boulevard cruiser.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for the input and advice. It will be next month before I get it on the local dyno.I'll give an update then.
I have loved tinkering with that Diablo tuner. It certainly perked it up quite a bit. However, it is very sensitive and time consuming when editing and loading a tune though.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
I have 4.10 gears in my 05. Speedometer is difficult to correct in the 05/06. Easier with the 03/04. I had Joe Delano work on mine at Laughlin a couple of years ago. He was able to get a little closer but not 100% accurate. I have a Pioneer radio with GPS, use the GPS for accurate speed. Love the 4.10 gears with my automatic, wakes the 6.0 up and actually get better gas mileage if I can keep my foot out of it. Also has 3,000 RPM stall speed converter, not to thrilled with it for street driving, it feels like it is slipping until get above 3,000.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
If "the tune that's already there" is from GM, it sucks. It leaves a lot of performance fun on the table. That was designed by people who worried about warranty costs in a boulevard cruiser.
:smile2:

Not to worry, the prior owner had it custom tuned by Joe Delano before I bought it.:wink2:

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
@dave

Do you happen to know what brand software your tuner used? Had mine done locally with HPTuner as well as another software and cannot get the speedo correct in the 4.56.

Thanks
HP Tuners is missing something to correct for the 4.56. The only software that I know of that can make the 4.56 change is EFILive.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Tuned not tuner

I had mine tuned at the Springfield Rally and then again a check at the Texas Rally.

I think you can send it to Jeremy, but I had mine done in the R.

I sent mine for the temp etc. when I put in Mike's fan. I am trying to remember but I think it was it was Fast Prons I believe. I tried to "Google" them and they don't come up. They also did an excellent job.

I have the old tune saved on a scan disk.

Dave

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,681 Posts
I had mine tuned at the Springfield Rally and then again a check at the Texas Rally.

I think you can send it to Jeremy, but I had mine done in the R.

I sent mine for the temp etc. when I put in Mike's fan. I am trying to remember but I think it was it was Fast Prons I believe. I tried to "Google" them and they don't come up. They also did an excellent job.

I have the old tune saved on a scan disk.

Dave
It's fasterpproms. He did my 04. It's fantastic!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts