Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, as you may know my brother who lives in California bought my car since he believes we should keep it in the family. My question is, I live in the Chicago metropolitan area and my SSR has passed the Illinois emission tests. Do you think my car with the MagnaCharger would have an issue passing California SMOG check? Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi, as you may know my brother who lives in California bought my car since he believes we should keep it in the family. My question is, I live in the Chicago metropolitan area and my SSR has passed the Illinois emission tests. Do you think my car with the MagnaCharger would have an issue passing California SMOG check? Thank you for your help.
Redssrloader, I think it's a crapshoot. I put a cat back exhaust system on my toy in California and my engine light started to come on. I bought a cheap scanner to show me the code fault and be able to turn off the engine light. That tool is must for your brother. If he does trigger a code all he needs to do is delete the code , turn the light off and drive 30 miles. If he does that he will pass. The whole process is a pain and I wonder every other year if my car will pass.
John F.

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,664 Posts
Redssrloader, I think it's a crapshoot. I put a cat back exhaust system on my toy in California and my engine light started to come on. I bought a cheap scanner to show me the code fault and be able to turn off the engine light. That tool is must for your brother. If he does trigger a code all he needs to do is delete the code , turn the light off and drive 30 miles. If he does that he will pass. The whole process is a pain and I wonder every other year if my car will pass.
John F.
I'd move away from a place that has that many rules! Maybe to place where there's nothing but hillbilly's!

·
Registered
500 Posts
The California DMV will ask it there are any modifications when you go to register.
They do a very detailed inspection at the DMV, checking all emission and labels.
I had to have the SuperChip removed before I could pass the Smog Test.
Then, you have to get a weight check because it is a Commercial Vehicle.
This is what I had done when registering my SSR from out of state.

134 Posts
Smog Checks are required every 2 years.

However...there is a way around it.
Move to a county in California that does not require smog.
There are several around.
Like Mariposa County in the Yosomite Area

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
In general all modifications like superchargers, cams, headers and the like are not allowed. However California Air Resources Board (CARB) has issued Executive Orders over the years which exempt certain engine parts on specific models of cars. They did issue a EO for a Magnusson Supercharger. Depending on what supercharger he has there may be an EO in effect to cover it. I think it's important to "guide" the smog check tech to accepting the installed supercharger as the same as the allowed one. The EO numbers for an 03 are D-488-4 and D-488-5. I have a pdf of it but it's bigger than the allowed size to post here. If you PM me with your email address I can send a copy to you.

·
Premium Member
9,381 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. I will update here for future members.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,187 Posts
There should be a CARB sticker on the side of the MP-112 blower housing. I was working on one yesterday...... the sticker was on the drivers side rear section. Simple to have a look.

Regards,

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts