Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok
I have a 2005 stock with 19,500 miles on her. Southern ca near Micky's place.
Want to keep ca smog legal but increase street torque & HP

All I have done is new Flowmaster muffler.
Question: Where do I go to get a TUNE and maby a Intake change?

·
Spirited driver!
1,536 Posts
ok

Get your tune from Joe Delano at www.leftcoast32.com in Vista, CA.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Turn off your traction control, you will see a big difference, than talk to Joe D and get a tune and you will see a huge difference.

Make sure he does it all , shift points, temp setting , etc, etc.

You might also change you trans servo out for a corvette servo as that will firm up first and second gear.

No reason for a new intake as the stock one is pretty good, maybe if you added a cam.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I have heard the same thing about the intake. The stock one is pretty good unless you are really stepping things up, cam and head wise.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
You’ll also get a lot of bang for your buck with a rear gear change.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Yup, agree with above.

A rear gear swap first. New 4:10 gears if you have an Auto, 4:56 gears if you have a 6-spd.

Then a pro tune to top it off.

Do the gear swap first as you'll need the tune to adjust your speedo for the new gear ratio.

You'll be surprised what those two legal upgrades will do for your ride.

Pass on the intake. All you'll get there in more engine noise but little else.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you want to go crazy, Joe may be able to hook you up with a Magnuson Supercharger(+120hp)- He did mine quite a while ago. I'm pretty sure they have a C.A.R.B. number on them for smog.

·
#1 SidePipe Club
3,299 Posts
local tuner in sacramento

ok

MARK ROMANS is the best

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,919 Posts
Agree with above. Don't touch the intake. the Truck intake is a long runner designed for increased torque which we need to get all that bulk moving. Other intakes increase HP but at the expense of low end torque. Also the OEM Airbox on the SSR is very efficient. Just replace the element with a washable high flow like K&N or Fram Air hog. The popular K&N Air intake kit is $400+ and adds a cool factor but very little in performance.
Biggest bang for the buck is a Computer tune by Joe D, Corvette Servo (Assuming you have an Auto) then if you want to go to the next $$ level, Rearend gears and Cam. The gears will really improve off the line and the Cam will wake up the stock LS. I think TopSpin recommended a Cam a while back that maintains low end torque but improves TQ and HP across the RPM range. Supercharger is a huge expense and probably the least Power/$ of all the above.
Then there is a point where you reach the design limits of the drivetrain and then things start to get real real expensive.
In the mean time as suggested above, shut off the Traction Control (Auto only) and the off the line performance will improve as the computers are not holding anything back to prevent wheel spin.
Greg

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Seat of the pants...........

If you want seat of the pants kick off the line without decreased gas mileage from changing to a lower gear ratio, get a 3000 rpm Stall Torque Converter from Phonix Transmissons, Greg Ducato, 817-599-7680.
Greg rebuilt my transmission early this year and put in the Torque Converter. Before it was "HoHmmmmm" off the line. Now it will lay 55 feet of twin black streaks on asphalt.
Do not just buy any torque converter. Get it from Greg. Call him, tell him how you drive and what performance you want and he will built the converter you need. Here is a link for Greg discussing torque converter 101. https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f35/torque-converters-101-greg-ducato-84841/

Jack

1 - 11 of 11 Posts