Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my second call from a GM rep wanting to know if I was satisfied with my SSR. I told him I loved the SSR but was only somewhat satisfied with it. I went on to tell him about the wind noise, the poor radio reception, the scratchs on the glass from the rubber weatherstripping, that the cargo net package was poorly engineered and a few other little problems. I also told him about the SSR Fanatic Forum and suggested someone from GM should go to the website and they would get a lot of good info about the problems other SSR owners were having and also some good positive info about how much they loved the truck and enjoyed driving it.
He thanked me for the info and he sounded pretty enthusiastic about checking out the forum. I hope someone does and it does some good.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
GM Email

I sent GM an email about my little concerns, they emailed me back, and phoned me. I have a contact # and they gave me a case # too. My problems are all small but my main concern is taking it to the shop and not knowing if they are qualified or informed enough about what they should or should not do.
My main concerns are water leaks and scratches on the windows. So far I have not had some of the other problems that many of you have expressed. But everyother day when I wash my SSR there is a water river on the inside of each window, and drops on the seats. I don't use high presure spray. The scratches are superficial right now but I see a major problem down the line especially as much as my windows go up and down.

I picked up my tags on Thursday from my dealer, they of course said they would put them on too. My finger nail marks are on my husbands arm from where we were watching them try to figure out how to get the back tags on. I had to tell them that they slid in the side. I thought he was going to break the plastic bracket as he pulled it off. I am so glad I read this site and had that info before I went in. Thanks to all of you knowledgable people.
Happy Cruisin'
:grouphug

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
service concerns

I for one know your concerns about taking your baby in to someone who may or may not have a clue as to how to properly repair this new type of vehicle with its special problems.

However, our technicians at the dealership have had several training sessions from GM and are more qualified now than before to diagnose and repair our SSRs. Generally speaking, the larger dealerships will have better trained techs than smaller ones. Make sure you express your concerns to your service person, and your visit and repair should go smoothly.

I know of two other SSR owners who have been concerned with an overheating problem, while the vehicle had only a couple of hundred miles. Subsequent checks have revealed nothing. It happened to me in traffic when it was new but has not done it again. Don't panic! If you think it is overheating, just let it cool off a few minutes and try it again.

happy cruisin' :)

G

·
Don't panic! If you think it is overheating, just let it cool off a few minutes and try it again.
This is the type of response owners of unique cars are afraid of hearing from their dealer, my brand new SSR with 50 miles on was running last night at almost 220*, it was 68 outside, I can't call them until Monday and am afraid of overheating so it sits in the garage.

I heard the same reply from a different dealer WHOM I WILL NOT EVER DO BUSINESS WITH AGAIN when my Vette got up to 230* last summer. Less than a month later with 24,000 miles on it, it spun a rod bearing to the tune of a new LS1 (can't bore them more than .0005 over). The bill came to 11G's, it was out of GM warranty, fortunately I listened to my sales person and had purchased an extended warranty, unfortunately it was not from GM and the warranty company was not going to cover it because of tar on the mufflers. They thought it was caked rubber from abusive driving. Took 4 weeks of calls and a letter from my attorney to finally convince them because the mufflers are less than 6" from the rear tires, tar tends to accumulates there. Still it cost me $2000 to get everything it back together, seems they exclude sales tax (8%) plus other things, clutch, throw out bearing, slave cylinder, fluids ect. that need to be replaced when a new engine is installed.
When I asked what had caused the problem the service writer (who is a car guy and a person I trust) said it was probably from over heating.

The only smart thing Ronald Regan ever said was "Trust but verify". Always, always get promises in writing.

·
Registered
705 Posts
why wasn't your vette covered under original GM warranty after 24000 miles? i'm confused...

·
Premium Member
9,451 Posts
Hey, Red

Check out Slydur's rides - Vette is a 98. GM Factory warranty is usually 3 yrs/36000 miles. Warranty would have been gone 3 years from in service date, likely in 01.

That's a bit of a problem for someone running low mileage - if you average 1000 miles/year on your toy, the warranty is still done after 3000 miles.

G

·
dealer servicing

Its hard to have faith in a dealer for servicing when their parts dept. person I spoke with DIDN'T KNOW WHAT BODY STYLE THE SSR WAS when I called them to check on gauges! One of the 3 dealerships in Grand Rapids Michigan! Glad I was lucky enough to have my wind noise corrected at the lansing factory just because I was lucky enough to meet a factory worker who arranged it for me.

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
I'm certainly glad that my California SSR (#1740) has been without the issues discussed here. I do have an excellent shop in Tulare CA that will service mine...

We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free.
RR

...not the only smart thing...

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
KWHOPPER Photo

So that's what California looks like ---- SUPER!!!!!! Never been there, now I see what I'm missing !!! I put that photo as my background, I'm sure you wouldn't mind !!!! Great looking car also !!!!

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Lots and Lots of really GREAT back roads. Seems that where the SSR drives best!!!

Thanks for the photo comments. A New digital camera to go with the SSR - makes for a good combo.

Plus - cranking "Charlie Hunter" thru the Bose makes those cruises downright enjoyable...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts