Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know, my built date moved from week 9-1 to week 10-27. I am quite disappointed. I have called GM numerous times (actually more like screamed at them, they all seem retarded there) and gotten the same answer that the cars have been pushed back. No one can come up with any reason why there is a 2 month delay on an order that was first given built date of 9-1. If that is the case then why the hell can't I put my order in with the gauges? If I have to wait for 2 more months, I'm sure the gauges will be available. Right? idiots. No wonder I stopped buying American cars. God bless the German engineering!

It is a shame how the GM has handled the production of this car. On top of it, the customer service has nothing to share. They actually told me that the info they have is only for internal people and can not be shared with the public or the dealership. My dealership has gotten the same answer. At first I thought my order was switched to the second car for that dealership, but now I'm pretty sure all cars have been pushed back. Reason? Who knows...

So the final answer I got from the dealership was that there are more dealership hit with the delay than ones that gotten their SSR. If your dealership has gotten yours, you are lucky. If not, make sure you call and check to see if your built date has been changed. I saw a red SSR in person at another dealership (Avenue Chevy Batavia, IL) that was sold. I have no idea how they got theirs but I'm pissed. (BTW, the red looks great, the car is so much bigger in person than the pictures. Oh ya, the interior is very crappy, just like all other chevys:banghead :banghead:banghead )

Who knows it may be a recall that they are keeping it a secret. I hope the ride is worth it. If I feel any problems with the ride once I get it (under-powered, bad handling, etc.) I won't hesitate to sell the damn thing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Blame ASC for your delay. The parts they are making don't even fit their own templates! But they ship it anyways! Some of their parts they ship over are already RUSTING. Sometimes when we run out of parts, they will send a truck with 4 or 5 hoods on it. WOW, that will keep production going. The last car built at Lansing Craft Center was an Eldorado, and it was a very high quality vehicle... its not Chevy's fault, or LCCs fault... its ASC's fault.

Your german engineering has done nothing for the leakyass roofs on the SSR either. yay!

When we get **** parts from ASC we first sort out the parts that MIGHT POSSIBLY FIT. Then we bang and bend and twist things until its a close match.

BTW, it _IS_ underpowered. Its 4700+lbs, and only around 300hp this year. Its not easy breaking the tires loose, and my ass dyno tells me it has at least a 7 second 0 - 60.

- the biggest problem with the entire launch, besides going with ASC for the engineering and steel... was that they tried to do it so quickly. If they would have taken their time to get things running smoothly before accepting orders, customers impatience would not come back to bite them in the ass. The situation sucks for everone.... trust me.

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Morty, I have been following your posts for a while. I actually think I saw the first pictures you posted on that other site (if I'm not getting you mistaken with someone else). I truly appreciate what you have done here and hope you do not get in trouble for sharing your insights. Please continue to update us on what has been happening inside that mysterious plant of yours.

However, I have to tell you that I disagree with you. I don't care if its ASC's fault or any other supplier. The GM picked them so they are ultimately at fault. I am also complaining about how the idiots at the GM customer service handle our inquiry. I have waited for this truck for two years, I can wait a bit longer. I just don't understand the no answer policy. Why can't they tell us what is really going on? Why is my built week delayed for 2 months while others are taking delivery of their cars? How can they sell me a car in November and call it 2003 and then in December it's 2004?

Also, are you telling me that the retractable top leaks? This is a Major problem. The top for MB SLK and SL 500 are a work of art.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We are in agreement about it being GMs fault for going with ASC.

Yes, the roofs were leaking very bad. Some of them even had duct tape over the gaps/seals of the vehicles so that they could be tested in the rain without the drivers getting soaked.

Like everything else, they are slowly getting better.

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so Morty, how is it that with all these problems there are cars being delivered to dealerships? Has the production stopped completely due to these problems? This delay may not be a bad thing then. I much rather they get it right off the line than get hit with 1600 recalls. That would hurt the resale.

Morty, do you know if the SSR's engine can be modified like the LS1 engines?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
leaks

Morty: When do you anticipate them fixing the leaking roof problem? Is it fixable or are we doomed to a 42K vehicle with a leaky roof? Please keep us updated on production woes as the process continues. By the way, if you are getting rusty parts from ASC, are you guys doing the paint on those parts? If so, I would think that you take care of the rust probs. right?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Abstraction

Willsellit: As far as the competitors tops being a work of art, I guess our SSR's could be called a work of art too. Unfortunately ours may be just an "Abstract" work of art. Hope they fix the seals right soon. For what we are paying, they need to get it right from the start.:agree

·
Registered
19 Posts
The roofs were being repaired individually, so that they would not leak. Not a quick process.

?! Anything can be modified. What makes the LS1 so great, besides that its an awesome motor to begin with... is that there is a huge aftermarket.

I'm sure whatever you could want to upgrade power on your 5.3 can be found... some of the things like cold air induction, aftermarket exhausts, or programmers(things that fit the SSR specifically) might take time, but I would imagine that you could find something that would work if you looked a little.
Superchargers, underdrive pullies, cams and the like are already available for other 5.3 vehicles.

- about rust. There are parts that come over with rust, sometimes we are told to discard them, others are put on the car. Metal finish will take the rust off... i'm not sure if these cars will make it on to customers... I hope they do not, because if there is rust, it usually comes back eventually.

willsellit said:
so Morty, how is it that with all these problems there are cars being delivered to dealerships? Has the production stopped completely due to these problems? This delay may not be a bad thing then. I much rather they get it right off the line than get hit with 1600 recalls. That would hurt the resale.

Morty, do you know if the SSR's engine can be modified like the LS1 engines?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
rust

Morty: As usual, your updates are greatly appreciated. I sure hope mine comes in Dec. I have a Nov. build date and the dealer swears it is supposed to be an 03 model. I ordered black but if it going to be an 04, I sure would like to get the violet metallic being offered on the 04's.

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
Bumping for Morty's posts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts