Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Perfectionist
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am curious as how does the lower control arm move? I know it has the three big bolts that need loosened. But then what? the truck is sitting with weight on it, how do you move the lower arms in? is there a jack bolt or bolts? Can someone explain? thx, D

·
Daily Driver
8,949 Posts
You don't move it with weight sitting on it. Unless it's on an alignment rack how would know how much it's been moved?

·
Perfectionist
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I mean, lets say it is sitting on a rack somewhere, weight on the wheels. how do they loosen the bolts without the weight pushing the lower control arm brackets out? curious? was hoping someone had watched the alignment process.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
There is a tool you can use to move the control arm, or as most alignment guys use, a big pry bar. You have to be careful with ether, as a little movement can be a big change in specs. The tool is hard to find, I know as I have been looking for a while for one. Also they are not cheep ether. I use a big pry bar and haven't had any issues doing alignments on SSR's

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,119 Posts
That's what I mean, lets say it is sitting on a rack somewhere, weight on the wheels. how do they loosen the bolts without the weight pushing the lower control arm brackets out? curious? was hoping someone had watched the alignment process.
Because the weight of the SSR is carried from the wheel and spindle, across the lower control arm and up though the shock tower...... There is no side-load force on the three adjustment lock bolts that go through the lower control arm pivot mount. This is intentionally designed so that the three bolts can be loosened and the mount moved slightly to adjust the front alignment.

Regards,

Mike

·
Perfectionist
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And there you have it!! Thank you very much Mike!

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
alignment

When the car is on the alignment rack, the bearing (pads) surface is floating. They lock the pads going on and off the rack. Sooo, the floating pads make it easier to move all the parts. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Because the weight of the SSR is carried from the wheel and spindle, across the lower control arm and up though the shock tower...... There is no side-load force on the three adjustment lock bolts that go through the lower control arm pivot mount. This is intentionally designed so that the three bolts can be loosened and the mount moved slightly to adjust the front alignment.

Regards,

Mike
Mike, I have done several alignments on SSR"s and when I loosened the three bolts to adjust the lower control arm. It has moved outwards to max negative camber. This was done on a alignment rack. To get it back where I wanted it, I had to move it back and then hold it in place while I tightened the bolts. So actually there is side load on these bolts. You are correct in the way the weight is carried through the spindle to the control arm, into the coilover shock, to the frame. But the lower control arm mounting/adjusting bolts keep the whole assembly in place.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,119 Posts
Mike, I have done several alignments on SSR"s and when I loosened the three bolts to adjust the lower control arm. It has moved outwards to max negative camber. This was done on a alignment rack. To get it back where I wanted it, I had to move it back and then hold it in place while I tightened the bolts. So actually there is side load on these bolts. You are correct in the way the weight is carried through the spindle to the control arm, into the coilover shock, to the frame. But the lower control arm mounting/adjusting bolts keep the whole assembly in place.
Thanks for straightening me out. Yes, I can understand the tendency for the adjusting part to want to move outboard. Lots of forces and geometry involved. I appreciate your injection of reality......

Regards,

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts