Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
My First Permagrin !
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I'm going to put a camera above the rear view mirror what's the easiest way to run power up to there ?
I was thinking just run it down the A pillar and poke out under the dash into auxiliary plug by the right knee outlet.
What other options are viable without major ripping and splicing ? Thanks , Dave

·
My First Permagrin !
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could tap off the rear view mirror power.
Is the mirror power always on or when car is running ?
Is it easy to take the mirror apart to tap for power ?
I didn't think the mirror would be an option .thanks again ,Dave

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,275 Posts
You could tap into the harness to the mirror in the header or use something like blend mount's mirror tap that are used for radar detectors.

·
My First Permagrin !
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could tap into the harness to the mirror in the header or use something like blend mount's mirror tap that are used for radar detectors.

Thanks for the info , I really don't like screwing with wiring so any time I can plug and play I'm ok with that .
That's why I was just going to snake the power cord down to aux plower plug.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,012 Posts
FYI: depending upon the size of the power wire for the actual camera, you can carefully feed power the wire into the seal of the backup light and carefully solder it in the bulb’s socket. Sanitary and weather tight.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I hard wired mine to the inside fuse box, using an open slot. Ran wire under carpet to passenger side dash, up piller. This way it comes on when running and off when not. Having things plugged in here and there just makes the inside look cluttered. I used this one as it is a very low profile, I cannot even see it when seated in the driver seat, only can see it from outside the R. The one I used (below) also lets you take a snap shot (single picture) with the wave of your hand under it.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,395 Posts
Is the mirror power always on or when car is running ?
Is it easy to take the mirror apart to tap for power ?
I didn't think the mirror would be an option .thanks again ,Dave
I tapped the mirror power in the header but had to install the inerds of the power port plug that came with it because the camera was using a USB type plug and 5 vdc so there was a required voltage drop involved.

FYI: depending upon the size of the power wire for the actual camera, you can carefully feed power the wire into the seal of the backup light and carefully solder it in the bulb’s socket. Sanitary and weather tight.
I think the original question was for a camera behind the mirror, not a backup camera.

Reactions: Jersey red

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
I think the original question was for a camera behind the mirror, not a backup camera.
Agreed. I was just offering suggestion on backup camera power that is only on when it needs to be and is close to the actual camera. I wasn’t clear the camera was in the mirror. Interesting. It all depends upon the equipment. YMMV

Sorry for the distraction.

·
My First Permagrin !
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the input and knowledge .
My Brother gave me the dash camera for Christmas ,for now I'm going to snake the power cord down the pillar
and under the dash and just plug it into aux plug next to my right knee .
I'll go for a more permanent wiring once I make a decision on a new radio . Dave

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
Thanks for all of the input and knowledge .
My Brother gave me the dash camera for Christmas ,for now I'm going to snake the power cord down the pillar
and under the dash and just plug it into aux plug next to my right knee .
I'll go for a more permanent wiring once I make a decision on a new radio . Dave
Good plan to wait and see. I did a couple revisions after my first radio/nav install, realized a shortcoming and simplified another choice. I PM’d my equipment list for Pioneer 8100 self install with backup camera to another member. LMK if interested. I can copy paste.:wink2:

- Robert
:silver:

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
972 Posts
My dash-cam is mounted just above, and to the right, of the rear view mirror. I ran the dash-cam power cord straight up into the header, then across and down the passenger-side A-pillar cover and behind the glovebox. I pulled the cigarette lighter receptacle from it's mount in the ashtray panel and zip-tied it to part of the structure behind the dash. Used a dual-USB insert in the cigarette lighter receptacle to power both the camera and an Ipad mini (as a music source to the aftermarket radio). The cigarette lighter receptacle is powered ON even with the key OFF, so the camera impact (g-force) and motion detection functions work when I'm away from the truck. Clean install, no dangling wires, and I still have two 12v power plugs available for other stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts