Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
SSR Enthusiast
2004 Chevrolet SSR #10111 Ricochet Silver
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

After replacing my tires over the weekend, I noticed that my left rear cap won’t seat properly on the wheel. I’m afraid to leave it on without it sitting flush. I noticed a bit of silicone fell off of the inside of the hub when I removed the tire. I heard about a bulletin on this years ago. Any idea of what I can do to adjust the cap? Thanks so much.
Brian

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
Make sure the tire valve logo on the inside of the cap is lined up with the tire valve. If that is correct, and the spring around the outside is still intact, it should snap into place. No silicone or other glue was used originally.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,398 Posts
Hi guys.

After replacing my tires over the weekend, I noticed that my left rear cap won’t seat properly on the wheel. I’m afraid to leave it on without it sitting flush. I noticed a bit of silicone fell off of the inside of the hub when I removed the tire. I heard about a bulletin on this years ago. Any idea of what I can do to adjust the cap? Thanks so much.
Brian
Is it seated flat but rotated or is it not flat? Not flat is a big issue. Not aligned but flat is an easy fix with a bit of two sided tape on the wire so it sticks to the tabs.

·
SSR Enthusiast
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is lined up with the valve stem. For some reason it is raised a bit at one point and I can’t get it to seat. I’m afraid it will pop off the next time I drive it. The spring is intact as are all of the plastic tabs.
I’m going to mess around with it again tomorrow. Thanks for all of the replies. You all are the best.
Brian

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,398 Posts
It is lined up with the valve stem. For some reason it is raised a bit at one point and I can’t get it to seat. I’m afraid it will pop off the next time I drive it. The spring is intact as are all of the plastic tabs.
I’m going to mess around with it again tomorrow. Thanks for all of the replies. You all are the best.
Brian
Are these OEM caps or after market? Some of the After market have had issues with quality control. I was looking for the thread that talks about mods on them but have not found it.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Some people have added a little silicone on their center caps as a save guard to keep them from coming off that's probably where the silicone came from. If you have any work done where your rims have to come off make sure you take them off and mark each one on the back so they go on the same wheels.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Get some gorilla duct tape strips and put it over the tab. I've repaired several of broken tabs and suggesting putting strips of Gorilla Tape so they don't slip.

·
SSR Enthusiast
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Duct tape

Get some gorilla duct tape strips and put it over the tab. I've repaired several of broken tabs and suggesting putting strips of Gorilla Tape so they don't slip.
Do I put the gorilla tape over the entire tab or just over the middle area?

·
SSR Enthusiast
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Silicone

Some people have added a little silicone on their center caps as a save guard to keep them from coming off that's probably where the silicone came from. If you have any work done where your rims have to come off make sure you take them off and mark each one on the back so they go on the same wheels.
I made sure to mark the center caps on the back side as to their location. Unfortunately I didn’t get to mark where I saw the silicone before it fell off.
I definitely want to ensure that the caps stay secure. Where exactly should I put silicone if I was to go this route? Thanks again for the responses.

Brian

·
Registered
332 Posts
OEM vs Aftermarket could be an issue with them not sitting properly but you also need to check the sizes, Front and Rears are different sizes.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,685 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Do I put the gorilla tape over the entire tab or just over the middle area?
From bottom up over top on side spring is on .

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts