·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday,coming out of a store,I started up the R and heard a strange noise
that seemed to come from the engine compartment.But the truck started,so I
left.I began to hear wind noise,so I checked to see if a window was cracked.The
windows would not operate,the roof was unlatched and open about a half inch
and will not close.The deck lid is open and will not relatch.
Can this be the ignition switch? Anybody else hear of a roof unlatching due
to an ignition switch problem.
Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.
cpf

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,206 Posts
How OLD is your battery??

Our trucks are senitive to the right voltage. I would start here.

Bat, Alt check and then I would change ignition switch.

EVERYTHING goes thru ignition switch.

Good luck

Dicktator

If you need a switch, I have a few in stock.
$30.00 includes mailing.

·
OP
8,222 Posts
Also, do not rule out a loose ground wire...I had one loose and your symptoms exactly happened to me...search "haywire" thread.

·
Ralph and Ruth
877 Posts
Window, Roof and Bed Cover Problem

Before you do anything expensive here is a post that I made during 2010:

Roof/Window Problem - Solved!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let me preface this by saying that in the previous 35,000 miles we have had no problems whatsoever with this SSR. The ignition switch was replaced a year ago, but not because it had failed, it was simply replaced with the newer part number as a precaution. This incident occurred while we were on the Chocolate/Covered Bridge Rally in Pennsylvania last week (Oct 2010). When we stopped in Lititz for lunch, I put the top up & locked the R. When we got ready to leave, I put the windows down to let the hot air out. When we ready to leave I put the R in drive and the deck lid popped loose. As we left the lot (top up), the DIC dinged and had a message "roof unlatched". I knew it had latched when we parked and the roof seam felt OK, so as we were already in the line of SSRs and moving, we continued on. I tried to put the top down at a stoplight and it wouldn't move. Then we tried to put the windows up and they wouldn't move either. When we got to a gas stop, I asked if anyone had experienced a similar problem. Cam (Cancam), said he remembered someone at another meet had the same problem and they removed the appropriate fuses and the system reset. When we got to Hershey, Ruth and I got the owner's manual and located the roof/door fuse and the roof/door circuit breaker (in the fuse block behind the passenger’s seat), and removed them both for 30 seconds and reinstalled them. Problem solved. We haven’t had a problem since. Hope this helps someone else in the future.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys

Thanks,that gives me somewhere to start.The battery is about a year old,so
should be ok.I'll check the grounds I can find.Should I disconnect the battery
before I pull the fuses?
cpf

·
Premium Member
15,490 Posts
Dicktator is correct about the battery, but if it's only a year old, and you haven't had starting problems, it may not be the problem.

My advice would be, disconnect the hot lead to the red jump box under the hood on the passenger side for ten or fifteen minutes, then reconnect. For whatever reason, this procedure cures a lot of ills.

If that doesn't work, remove the # 27 fuse in the fuse box under the hood on the driver's side, check it, and replace. You don't need to disconnect the battery to do this.

If it works, you'll need to re-cycle your windows to make sure they properly index.

Let us know if you get the problem fixed please.

·
Premium Member
15,490 Posts
Also, it doesn't sound like an ignition switch problem to me, but, it's easy to check.

Remove the ignition switch using the procedures posted in this Forum (do a search) and remove the cover. If the contacts look burned, replace it, if not, it is probably OK.

The ignition switches are blamed for a lot of ills, and are replaced too many times without examining them for damage first.

·
Ralph and Ruth
877 Posts
Thanks,that gives me somewhere to start.The battery is about a year old,so
should be ok.I'll check the grounds I can find.Should I disconnect the battery
before I pull the fuses?
cpf
I did not disconnect the battery, but as Doug pointed out, disconnecting the battery will probably do the same thing and allow a reboot.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More symptoms

This morning I tried to start the truck to move it out of the garage.No lights,
it won't start and the key will not come out.
I unhooked the battery and left it for 20 minutes,no joy.When I checked the battery,it showed only a few volts(1.9 or so),but I've had no problems starting
or any indication of a low battery before now.

·
Premium Member
15,490 Posts
This morning I tried to start the truck to move it out of the garage.No lights,
it won't start and the key will not come out.
I unhooked the battery and left it for 20 minutes,no joy.When I checked the battery,it showed only a few volts(1.9 or so),but I've had no problems starting
or any indication of a low battery before now.
Put a charger on it, or replace the battery.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It was in fact a bad battery!

Even though it was less than a year and a half old,the battery had a failing cell.I had it checked at a local Advance Auto,and when I put in a new battery
everything cleared up.I had to open and close the rear deck a couple of times
and lower the roof half way down before it would close,but at that point,everything went back to work. :blush-anim-cl:
Soooo,once again,the SSR brotherhood comes to the rescue with good advice.
Thanks to all who sent advice,good wishes or just thought about it.:liebe011:
I hope I'm in a position to return the favor sometime.
Coastal Plains Flash

·
Slingshot Rules!
67,725 Posts
GREAT NEWS, CPF

Now that everything is fixed, you may want to considered a Battery Tender.

After my OEM battery croaked with just a little over two years, I invested 50 bucks in a Battery Tender Plus and, KNOCK ON WOOD, the second battery is still chugging along just fine. Keeping it hooked up to the AUX plug on the dash whenever in the garage has become a habit for me.

·
Premium Member
19,348 Posts
Remember batteries don't like the quick changes of weather and when the cold hits battery sales go up. Just this last week I had to change out 5 different buses for battery problems ( our engineering dept makes us change out all 4 or 2 depending how equipped ) our hybrid buses are getting new batteries. Ext week per manufacturer

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure of the value of a battery tender,

GREAT NEWS, CPF

Now that everything is fixed, you may want to considered a Battery Tender.

After my OEM battery croaked with just a little over two years, I invested 50 bucks in a Battery Tender Plus and, KNOCK ON WOOD, the second battery is still chugging along just fine. Keeping it hooked up to the AUX plug on the dash whenever in the garage has become a habit for me.
since mine is a daily driver, and rarely a day goes by without my driving the R.
I mean,life's too short to drive an ugly car..:glol

Thanks again for all help and good wishes cpf

·
OP
8,222 Posts
since mine is a daily driver, and rarely a day goes by without my driving the R.
I mean,life's too short to drive an ugly car..:glol

Thanks again for all help and good wishes cpf
...and based on that, I strongly suggest having your alternator tested, been there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts