Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friends '06 Aqua Blur 6 Speed. Manually opened Tonneau Flapper. Started to clean the Lock Microswitches and saw this!! The Driver side Hydraulic cylinder Bracket pulled the nuts out of the Little Flapper. Wiggled and forced them back in but didn't hold. Can it be repaired or need to replace Flapper? Oh, Driver side switch was stuck, but afraid to try the top!

Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,314 Posts
Might try roughing up the back side of the bracket and the corresponding spot on the lid and try JB Weld or body panel bonding epoxy. Might check with Dicktator he has had a lot of experience with tops and repairing them.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,566 Posts
A friends '06 Aqua Blur 6 Speed. Manually opened Tonneau Flapper. Started to clean the Lock Microswitches and saw this!! The Driver side Hydraulic cylinder Bracket pulled the nuts out of the Little Flapper. Wiggled and forced them back in but didn't hold. Can it be repaired or need to replace Flapper? Oh, Driver side switch was stuck, but afraid to try the top!

Nick
I would give @Mike in AZ a call. I know he has the nut-serts that are on the bracket and might be able to come up with a piece of something that could be inserted in the empty space and act as a clamp when the bolts are tightened. He is pretty good at design. I would do that before I start messing with the surfaces and make a fix impossible.

Reactions: nj6969

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,194 Posts

Nick
Hey Nick,

Yes, we can repair it. The repair will be a bit challenging, but a little patience and just the right hardware will let you save the panel. I think those are M6 inserts..... right? If so, I can send you a couple, with a small piece of aluminum, made to slip into the hole and then rotate to make a backing plate. I can make the plate here, based on one of the brackets I have........ You will need to get a little bit of really good bonding material...... JB weld is too brittle.... I'll check Grainger for something appropriate - or - you could give Joe Brown a call and see what he recommends.

I'll need you to have a close look at that flipper panel. I need a measurement of the distance between the outer surface of the bottom and the inside surface of the top. This will tell me how much threaded insert depth we will have to work with.....

Give me a call on Sunday and we can talk.

Mike

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Mike: “I think those are M6 inserts..... right? If so, I can send you a couple, with a small piece of aluminum, made to slip into the hole and then rotate to make a backing plate. I can make the plate here, based on one of the brackets I have.”

Could you just tap the backing plate M6?

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,566 Posts
Mike: “I think those are M6 inserts..... right? If so, I can send you a couple, with a small piece of aluminum, made to slip into the hole and then rotate to make a backing plate. I can make the plate here, based on one of the brackets I have.”

Could you just tap the backing plate M6!
I think the idea is that the insert grips the plate and allows more thread to keep the possibility of stripping the threads out to a minimum.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,194 Posts
Could you just tap the backing plate M6?
Yes..... there’s certainly more than one way to fix this..... I was intending to use the body of the new inserts to prevent the attachment from wallowing around in the holes in the lid, while spreading the back of the insert out to pinch the new backing plate to the lid.

Using your suggestion, we could drill and tap a thicker plate and added a couple centering washers on the face, it could be put in with a little bonding agent to become one with the lid. Good idea.

Nick....... call me today.

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I think the idea is that the insert grips the plate and allows more thread to keep the possibility of stripping the threads out to a minimum.
I believe the inserts are also needed to grip the plate to prevent it from rotating so the screw can be tightened. The original inserts have an octagon, Nut, (enlarge picture) shape at the lip end to prevent rotating in the flipper. I called the owner and suggested he come over when I call @Mike in AZ this afternoon, so he will know what we are thinking.

Nick

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,194 Posts
I have an Aqua Blur flapper. $100+ shipping.
Excellent choice...... This would be my preference. I'm certain the paint will match, since all of the flipper panels were painted by the outside supplier and merged onto the correct color truck on the assembly line.

Good catch Dane.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have an Aqua Blur flapper. $100+ shipping.
Dane, could you PM me your phone number and I'll tell the Gentleman to call you since it's his money. Thanks

Nick

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Nick.. I’m in and out side painting on the house so if he doesn’t get me I’ll call him back..

Got the info...thanks Nick

Dane

·
Premium Member
2005 Redline SSR 6 speed, 2013 Porsche Cayenne S 4.8 Liter, 1990 Harley Davidson FatBoy FLSTF
191 Posts
Mike major thanks for helping repair and hopefully salvage their current cover.
90 Fatboy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts