Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we've just finished cleaning the carpet of bugs of the SSR following my successful finishing of the European Cannonball 8000 rally. The truck was fantastic and even managed to "scare" a few exotic "supercars" However this was the first time I've used the truck in anger having only done 1200 miles before we left last Thursday. We did over 3000 miles in 4 days!! Including coming back the 720 miles from Milan, Italy to Calais in France in 7 hours at mostly 120mph all the way
Now the reason for this post is to tell you how the truck took this "beating" and I know some of you will recognise some of these issues from some of the postings I've read here in the past. So here goes:-

1 The LS2 motor is so strong. Pauline, my wife, witnessed the fact that our auto '05 SSR will kick down at 115mph!!! Trouble is 15mph later it just dies :mad Where the hell are those Diablo Predators !! :) :cuss Why did Chevy make a truck with a motor that is only partially used ? I can't wait to get her derestricted/chipped/supercharged it'll be wild (yes I will fit high performance tyres) :reddevil

2 As the journey went on I noticed the famous whine at around 50 to 60 mph you all talk about and also the transmission clunk/backlash which sounds hideous. What's all that about then ?

3 Handling is fantastic for what the vehicle is, blowing my friends SRT10 trucks into the weeds on the high speed twisty bits!

4 Right now my real gripe and the one I need your help on. Luckily I was back in the UK and only 80 miles from home when out of the corner of my eye I noticed the driver side A pillar trim was flaping in the breeze!! :confused I quickly stopped to find that the two bottom trim plugs were just flapping in and out of there holes doing nothing and the two bits of VELCRO!!! holding the trim on had just given up being "sticky" :mad :confused I finished my journey slowly to avoid it breaking and blowing off altogether. When I got home I discovered that the passenger side one was also on the way to being blown off and was also coming loose. Now in my mind a $40k vehicle that was designed to do 130mph should have a little more than two plastic trim plugs and two patches of velcro holding on windscreen trim ?? :cuss OK so I did 120mph for nearly 7 hours solid but I still think that this sort of thing shouldn't happen at all let alone after 3200 miles? :mad A whole strip of velcro the entire length of the trim instead of the two liitle squares would been better or couldn't Chevy afford that? :cuss A bodyshop friend of mine was horrified when he looked at it. He has suggested some ways of sorting it but I wanted to know if this is a common problem and if there is an "official Chevy fix" before i let him loose on it. We're coming to Florida next week so perhaps I'll look up Bill Heard, the dealer who supplied my truck?
Any Ideas guys and girls ??

W

·
0 Posts
Great Feedback!

I can't offer any assistance, but found your notes very interesting. I always wondered how the SSR's would react to long term high speeds. I'll be interested to read the responses....

Sounds like you had a great trip!

wipurplechick
"If I must get wrinkles, please let them be laugh lines!"

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Thanks for story of your first Cannonball Race. Did you happen to take any pictures of the race? Did you get some pictures of your car?

You can post them at a site called www.photobucket.com then link them here.

I would be interested to see all of them.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

Mad-dog ... I want to see your paint. how she turn out?

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Miles

Mad-dog

WOW that's a lot of miles in 4 days! Where you exhausted when you returned? What did you think about the comfort of the SSR being in it for that long.

I can't help on any of the items listed either as I have yet to encounter any of them.

Very Interesting story! Thanks for sharing the ups and downs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cannonball 8000

Yes I have taken video and photos but I'm afraid I haven't had time to even edit them at the moment as we are leaving for Florida on Tuesday (hopefully buying a holiday home in Kissimmee) It was also filmed by several national TV companies and it airs this December. I'll keep you all informed and post some pictures after we get back from Florida (5th October). Truck was unbelievably comfortable (even for my 6' 2" and 245lb frame !! :thumbs I'm afraid the flame job got put on ice at the last moment Rebel. I wasn't very happy with the test panel my painter had done. He is now bringing in an air brush artist to help so later on we'll try again :cool Just need to stop those windscreen trims from blowing off for now. I really can't get over such bad design on that one :mad So hopefully when we've got our house on your side of the pond we can meet up with some of you "local" guys and girls :) :cool :thumbs :flag

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
OK Mad-dog, inquiring minds want to know......

Did you remove the spoiler before the rally? AND... where did you acquire it from?

Also how long are you to stay in Florida? Trying to put together a get-together on Oct 22 for SSR owners. Will you be there that long?

P/P

Peace :flag

1 - 8 of 8 Posts