Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a malfunctioning outside drivers door handle. Would no longer open. Needed new gauge relays among other things so was waiting to repair outside door handle at same time. Had been opening door from inside. Yesterday the inside handle broke and now I have no way to open door to get door panel off. Any suggestions?

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
You should be able to open the door from the inside still. It's the pivot for the hand that breaks so you will need to twist and pull to get it to pop the door open. It may take a few tries to figure out the sweet spot to do so. Once open, don't close it until you fix at least one (but you knew that part..).

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,997 Posts
Had a malfunctioning outside drivers door handle. Would no longer open. Needed new gauge relays among other things so was waiting to repair outside door handle at same time. Had been opening door from inside. Yesterday the inside handle broke and now I have no way to open door to get door panel off. Any suggestions?
You can either crawl into the driver's seat, or put the driver's window down. Once there, reach into the interior door handle area and pull out the little black cup that surrounds the door handle. You should now be able to see the pivot point for the door handle. You need to position the handle as if it were still attached to the pivot point. Now, hold the interior door handle firmly in your hand and rotate it through the same arc that it normally did, you will be able to get the door open.

Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixed the outside handle. Tightened and lubed. The plastic receiver for interior handle is broke. Also 3 stands off on interior panel had come off. One is missing. I super glued the other two back on. Is the plastic trim for interior available or do I have to buy entire assembly?
Thanks for the help
Tammy

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mike. I got the panel off and exterior handle fixed. This is my husbands car and I have fixed things for him in the past that turned out to be a nightmare so I swore off fixing anything. Obviously I didn't have much choice this time. I am thankful it was only tightening the torque screw for the outside but now I need to find an interior handle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also major Thanks to Dictator and all of you who have contributed to the forum and library. Couldn't do things like this without you!

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Fixed the outside handle. Tightened and lubed. The plastic receiver for interior handle is broke. Also 3 stands off on interior panel had come off. One is missing. I super glued the other two back on. Is the plastic trim for interior available or do I have to buy entire assembly?
Thanks for the help
Tammy
Might check here if you can’t find it elsewhere.

https://ssr-parts.com/product/inner-door-handle-lh/

Even if you buy a replacement I would suggest that you install the repair kit that Dictator came up with just to keep it from breaking again later.

Rope

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,505 Posts

Attachments

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Shame on Chevy

You know if Chevy would have continued making these , there would have been many recalls. Perhaps we would not find ourselves in these situations. God bless 0:):xthose member who have provided so much support, replacement parts, and other help in keeping our Rs on the road.

"Long may we ALL run this coming year"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts