Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:|
It seems the geography between where I live (No. Carolina) and where KGB lives (Nevada) clocks in at over 2300 miles. That is a long haul for me to return home with my new ride, and questionable weather soon to arrive during late Fall, etc.

There seem to be almost dozens of Shippers out there that want your business as to transporting a car or truck from here to there.

It's not cheap and going with enclosed versus open carry on the truck is an extra $400 give or take.

Have any of you guys had recent experience using a car carrier? If so, were you satisfied with the results and your vehicle arrived safely and no problems.

Looking for recommendations.

Thanks,

Mo.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
2005 aqua blurr
1,347 Posts
I used passport transport last november to get a car from Tennessee to Colorado they did a great job. but it took them a month to get the car picked up could be because of the route, but they did a great job ssr arrived in perfect condition.
they did make a price adjustment for the delay. but you can't afford to do that if you got to pay storage until they pick it up.

·
Slingshot Rules!
71,290 Posts
Have you considered a road trip, Mo?

One of the greatest "get acquainted" trips of my life was when I flew to St. Louis to officially "adopt" The Doophus way back in 2005.

The 1600 plus mile trip was better than great.

Good Luck.

! :banana ! :cheers ! :banana ! :cheers ! :banana !

·
HobbyBob
641 Posts
:bananaI have used Pilot Transport for years and have not had any pick up or storage problems with them. They have a storage facility here in Phoenix, and one in Michigan. Give them your schedule and see if they can meet it. Most of their trucks are Peterbuilts hauling lift gate enclosed trailers . lots of insurance and lots of care. And the road trip from Phoenix to Nevada is a great ride! .02:jester

·
Daily Driver
8,930 Posts
1 day to fly out, 2 days to drive back. A 3 day weekend and it's home.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,200 Posts
I used these people. I was very pleased with them. It WAS an open transporter, last car on the bottom. I notified them it was ready for pick up Feb. 2nd. They picked it up on Feb. 9th. dropped it off Feb. 13th. 9:30am. at a truck stop 2 miles from my house, AT MY SUGGESTION, because the streets around my place are not suitable to park a car transporter. Keep in mind all drivers treat vehicles differently so one good experience is not a guarantee! Pictures of it at pick up and it on the transporter, by the seller and a note to driver about cautions with hood if opening needs to be done, bedcover closed before tailgate if need arises, don't put top down etc. Good Luck!! Any more questions, Nick, 214-369-1081

United Road
INVOICE
VEHICLE
2004 Chevrolet SSR
DATE
02/02/2017
PRIORITY / ADD. SERVICES
N/A
Customer
NAME: Nick Ventura
ADDRESS:
2655 North Mayo Trail
PIKEVILLE, KY 41501
PHONE:
972-552-2717
Billing
TRANSPORTATION: $715.00
PAID: $715.00
BALANCE: $0.00
Vehicle
MAKE / MODEL
2004 Chevrolet SSR
TYPE
Car Full-Size
VIN
1GCES14P64B113135
COLOR
N/A
Origin
ORIGIN CONTACT: Carla Billiter
PHONE:
606-432-1716
PICK-UP ADDRESS:
2655 North Mayo Trail
PIKEVILLE, KY 41501
EARLIEST PICK-UP DATE: 02/06/2017
Destination
DESTINATION CONTACT: Nick Ventrua
PHONE:
214-369-1081
214-683-5233
DELIVERY ADDRESS:
13674 Selma Lane
FORNEY, TX 75126

Nick

·
Daily Driver
8,930 Posts
Ms Billiter might not appreciate having her personal information posted on the net.

·
Ret. Air Force
3,720 Posts
If you decided to make the drive back home, you could post your route/timing and probably meet a bunch of SSR fanatic owners along the way for lunch or dinner!?!?

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,200 Posts
Ms Billiter might not appreciate having her personal information posted on the net.
She is the manager at the Dealer, so she might appreciate the plug

Nick

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 day to fly out, 2 days to drive back. A 3 day weekend and it's home.
:surprise:

XOXO............Two days to drive back:frown2: Your math doesn't sync up with mine. Maybe 20 years ago, I could (maybe) try that.

We're talkin' around 2350 miles or so. No longer can I handle being behind the wheel more than about 6-8 hours tops. Google Map showed one route at 2383 and 35 hrs. That would average around 68MPH. That would seem to compute to 2.9+ days if you maintained the 68MPH at 12/day.

I love to get down the road pretty quick, but not at that pace.

On the other hand, the trip back (taking your time), could indeed be lots of fun.

Thanks for all the replies.

Mo.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Passport Transport delivered a new Corvette from Ohio to Florida for me this spring. It was not a pleasant experience. Our car was loaded last on the top row. We were told that our car was to be delivered first. Passport has a great tracking system, however it is frustrating to watch it set for an entire day at Road Atlanta and from there travel down the east coast of Florida instead of the west coast where we live. We could see each stop he made along the way to deliver or pick up a car. Calls to the dispatcher could not provide explanations for the delay or provide an accurate delivery date.
When the car finally arrived the ragtop and drivers seat were badly stained with grease which fortunately I noticed upon delivery. The driver was filthy and our car had been unloaded multiple times to remove other cars. I called the shipper from the delivery site which was the local Wal Mart. They apologized but offered no compensation for either the delay in delivery or the stains on the top and seat.
The driver said he had no instructions and decided on his own to come down the east coast first. Turns out the day at Road Atlanta was spent shooting photos of another car loaded on the truck.
I will not be inclined to use Passport again. A couple years ago I bought a Prowler in Arizona and drove it back to Florida. Turns out it was a fantastic road trip and less expensive than a shipper.

·
Slingshot Rules!
71,290 Posts
You are absolutely correct, Mo . . .

For the record, my 1600 plus mile trip home from Heritage Chevrolet in Auburn, Illinois took a little over 4 days.

It was definitely a relaxed "get acquainted" trip for both me and The Doophus vs an endurance run.

Consider the trip . . . you will not be sorry.

·
Spirited driver!
1,407 Posts
When I was in the process of getting my SSR shipped I asked CASH about transporters. He mentioned that the guys from North Freeway Hyundai almost always ship on open transport with minimal issues. We tend to think that our R's are more precious and valuable than "normal" cars but I live near the Tesla factory and they ship truckloads of $100,000 plus cars every day on open transport. Ours just have more emotional value in them.

That being said, my R was shipped enclosed because that is what the local transporter had and it still had a bunch of dirt and stuff that rained down from the vehicle that was above it. Maybe if it was in an open carrier that dirt would have just blown away?

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,734 Posts
If you can be positive that your car is not underneath a car with an oil or fluid leak, I'd say okay, but you never know. Plus as has been stated, your car may need to be on and off-loaded multiple times by someone who may not be the cleanest person.

I drove my R to Florida from New Jersey and can say it was a very pleasant way to get acquainted with it.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,776 Posts
If you decided to make the drive back home, you could post your route/timing and probably meet a bunch of SSR fanatic owners along the way for lunch or dinner!?!?
I would be happy to treat you and your Co-pilot to lunch or dinner depending on what day of week. If you come thru the Columbus ohio area. I would also offer overnight accommodations but extra bath renovation will not be complete until I'm between semesters this December (hopefully).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hmm, I shipped a sports car from Texas to Wyoming in an enclosed trailer and couldn't be happier. I than shipped the same car from Wyoming to Tulsa, OK on a open transport. The car sit on the bottom at the end. It traveled on snow covered roads so you can imagine my disappointment when delivered. You could not tell the cars color was white under all the filth. lesson learned don't ship on open transport going through the Rockies in the winter.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,667 Posts
Transport

There are many factors involved, many already noted. A few more to consider when choosing a carrier:

Are the people you are negotiating with the actual carriers or just brokers who contract transport with third parties who may or may not have the right skills, equipment and attitude to transport a collectible car?

How many times will your car be loaded and unloaded before it reaches its destination? Some carriers don't advertise that they transfer cars from truck to truck instead of loading once and unloading only once at the destination, increasing the potential for damage.

Does the carrier perform a detailed pre-load inspection report of every scratch, dent, paint blemish, etc. and provide that report to you at delivery, so you and the driver can review everything for posible in-transit damage?

Personally, I have always used one of the large enclosed transport companies (Intercity) and have had no issues with the cars shipped. Yes, the specialty companies cost a bit more but I don't worry about issues related to the concerns I've noted.

Good luck with your decision and your new ride.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts