Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad day for me as one of my favorite car mags is gone from print! It had been around since 1953. Also, Chevy High Performance and Super Chevy have died, in magazine form. Fortunately, my all time favorite, Hot Rod, will continue to be printed! Just not the same looking at them on line, so I don't imagine I'll do it often.

·
Perfectionist
491 Posts
Damn, I was fortunate enough to have a 69 z featured in car craft, and onnthe cover in jan 1982. It was a good magazine. I work at a newspaper, and they are having a hard time too. D

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I saw this on another web site yesterday and they dropped I think 10 magazines in all. I stopped buying magazines a while back because there was not much in them anymore but would still take the free look through them while at the grocery store. Sad that they are gone and even sadder that the old ones you can't give away. I took years worth of National Dragster to the recycle bin at my kids school and my son told me that some of the guys found them and pulled them out. I tried to give my old car mags to the grade school, junior high and high school library and all refused them.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
I
Damn, I was fortunate enough to have a 69 z featured in car craft, and onnthe cover in jan 1982. It was a good magazine. I work at a newspaper, and they are having a hard time too. D
I saw that issue with your Z, nice looking car. You the man, your car on Car Craft, your Indian in several Calenders. Just hope I don't see your body in any magazines. LOL.

·
BAD BOW TIE
9,270 Posts
What I have noticed in the past years is a concerted effort by many offices to assist in the liberal brain washing period we are in. I used to go to the doctors or dentist office and other places and found a variety of magazines that fit everyone's liking. They had many magazines for women but also had a good variety for men like car and trucks magazines, guns and ammo, outdoors men, popular mechanics, etc. Now all you find is lady type magazines like people, fashion, Ophra, and on and on. The last time I took my wife to Mayo clinic before her passing it was the same thing. Nothing for men to read or do except stare at the walls. My rant. I am done.

·
Proud Original Owner
17,600 Posts
I was a subscriber to Car & Driver for about 20 years but stopped after they seemed to be trying to force me to read it on line. Now I don't read it at all unless I see one in my barber's shop.

·
BAD BOW TIE
9,270 Posts
I was a subscriber to Car & Driver for about 20 years but stopped after they seemed to be trying to force me to read it on line. Now I don't read it at all unless I see one in my barber's shop.
My barber shop is called Oscars but owned and operated by women so guess what magazines they have. At least they have a TV but even that is usually set to some ladies program or the fake news. I just sit there and hum. Actually I made up my mind and am not going there anymore. Going to try a new place called the mans cave.

·
BLU SSR
1,836 Posts
Hey Auggie, Don't be afraid to ask for the remote and change the channel if you go back to Oscars. We have the same TV problems at a lot of the Hotel breakfast areas and I don't want my meal ruined by CrappyNewsNetwork so I ask for the remote and change the channel - I consider it my civic duty to lessen my fellow citizens exposure to such depressing news. Never have any objections and most often a word or nod of thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
:rolleyes:
I've always been an avid reader. As a little kid up to around the 5th or 6th grade, a cold Coke and a stack of comic books I had never seen before and I was content for the afternoon. As a young adult, I was in to many Motorcycle mags and had a garage attic full of them. Also was a subscriber to Playboy and just recently told my wife to not renew it. Finally a few years back, I found a guy that wanted to buy all my Playboys. I had a garage attic full of those and when he left, the entire bed of his pickup truck was full of issues from the late 60's on into the 90's at that time.:p

I owe a lot of credit to Street Rodder Magazine for helping me when I was building my '39 Chevy. It had many helpful articles that gave me ideas and specs to get 'er done. I had tons of those issues too. Also Hot Rod Mag for years too.

Now I get quite a few letters in the mail offering super discounted deals on Motorcycle mags and car mags and Hemmings, etc.

Even with the super low prices for a new subscription, I no longer get them. Right now, I still get American Iron which is a Harley type mag, but am about to let that go too.:unsure:

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
I live in a cul de sac with 7 others and I'm the only one getting a newspaper. Now that makes me feel old.

Dave
:rolleyes:

The Newspaper business is almost gone. My local paper (The Sun News) out of Myrtle Beach is for the most part a joke.

They try to charge me more than my sister-in-law pays for her copy of the Tampa Bay Paper. Now I understand her "market" makes for more subscribers, but what we have is not much.

If my former Parakeet could still be around, he could fly from the mail box with my Monday edition as it cannot weigh more than a few ounces.

I enjoy the Sudoku puzzle and the crossword puzzle and also some of the comics. That paper does not have much else of any real significance. In order to save costs, they quit mailing out paper copies of the Saturday edition and now include the comics and puzzles that would (normally be on Saturdays edition) and they now show up on Sunday.:oops:

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
I used to have a copy of car craft, street rodder or hot rod magazines behind most of my text books (except physics and math, i enjoyed those classes) in high school and jr high.

Like another only one in my court getting a printed paper delivered but only Thursday-Sunday. I still have one of my "Honors" carrier newspaper delivery bags. It was made for back of bicycle, but i cut a hole in the middle an put over my head. I would rotate it when it got lopsided and started to choke me.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Sad day for me as one of my favorite car mags is gone from print! It had been around since 1953. Also, Chevy High Performance and Super Chevy have died, in magazine form. Fortunately, my all time favorite, Hot Rod, will continue to be printed! Just not the same looking at them on line, so I don't imagine I'll do it often.
I'll check when I get home but i think I just renewed Car Craft for 2 years. Got Super Chevy, good til Feb.'21, Hot Rod, good till Feb. '22, and Street Rodder, good till Dec. '21, in the mail today.

Nick

·
Daily Driver
8,859 Posts
The winter of '62-'63 I went away to school and come home in the spring to find over 300 car magazines gone... poof... trashed. "We cleaned your room for you".
Read Car & Driver every month from when they changed their name from Sports Car Graphic until their 50th anniversary. In that issue thy laughed about how often they bullshitted me over the years.

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's very cool and I would have seen it for sure! Throw a pic up if you have one.

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I saw this on another web site yesterday and they dropped I think 10 magazines in all. I stopped buying magazines a while back because there was not much in them anymore but would still take the free look through them while at the grocery store. Sad that they are gone and even sadder that the old ones you can't give away. I took years worth of National Dragster to the recycle bin at my kids school and my son told me that some of the guys found them and pulled them out. I tried to give my old car mags to the grade school, junior high and high school library and all refused them.
Actually, 19 auto related mags were dropped by TEN Publishing! Man, for many years I looked forward to National Dragster each week. Did you ever get any of their cool gold pins when you renewed your membership? I think I had 14 consecutive years at one point.

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What I have noticed in the past years is a concerted effort by many offices to assist in the liberal brain washing period we are in. I used to go to the doctors or dentist office and other places and found a variety of magazines that fit everyone's liking. They had many magazines for women but also had a good variety for men like car and trucks magazines, guns and ammo, outdoors men, popular mechanics, etc. Now all you find is lady type magazines like people, fashion, Ophra, and on and on. The last time I took my wife to Mayo clinic before her passing it was the same thing. Nothing for men to read or do except stare at the walls. My rant. I am done.
You need to come to my Dentist, my former racing partner, as he has several hot rod mags and the latest issue of National Dragster always on the table! I hear what you're saying though and always take my own reading material with me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts