Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
:rolleyes:
I've always been an avid reader. As a little kid up to around the 5th or 6th grade, a cold Coke and a stack of comic books I had never seen before and I was content for the afternoon. As a young adult, I was in to many Motorcycle mags and had a garage attic full of them. Also was a subscriber to Playboy and just recently told my wife to not renew it. Finally a few years back, I found a guy that wanted to buy all my Playboys. I had a garage attic full of those and when he left, the entire bed of his pickup truck was full of issues from the late 60's on into the 90's at that time.:p

I owe a lot of credit to Street Rodder Magazine for helping me when I was building my '39 Chevy. It had many helpful articles that gave me ideas and specs to get 'er done. I had tons of those issues too. Also Hot Rod Mag for years too.

Now I get quite a few letters in the mail offering super discounted deals on Motorcycle mags and car mags and Hemmings, etc.

Even with the super low prices for a new subscription, I no longer get them. Right now, I still get American Iron which is a Harley type mag, but am about to let that go too.:unsure:
Street Rodder was another good one that just bit the dust, too!

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'll check when I get home but i think I just renewed Car Craft for 2 years. Got Super Chevy, good til Feb.'21, Hot Rod, good till Feb. '22, and Street Rodder, good till Dec. '21, in the mail today.

Nick
Well Nick, I guess the lesson that we all should learn today is, don't renew subscriptions for more than 1 year any more. Printed material is certainly on the way out and I hate it!

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I used to have a copy of car craft, street rodder or hot rod magazines behind most of my text books (except physics and math, i enjoyed those classes) in high school and jr high.

Like another only one in my court getting a printed paper delivered but only Thursday-Sunday. I still have one of my "Honors" carrier newspaper delivery bags. It was made for back of bicycle, but i cut a hole in the middle an put over my head. I would rotate it when it got lopsided and started to choke me.
I smiled picturing you with the newspaper bag around your neck, but that was brilliant, but had to leave a mark?! I remember well folding/throwing newspapers - the good times!

·
BAD BOW TIE
9,270 Posts
You need to come to my Dentist, my former racing partner, as he has several hot rod mags and the latest issue of National Dragster always on the table! I hear what you're saying though and always take my own reading material with me.

Your dentist is too far away. Ha! Ha!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
As for the doctor's office deal. There are two things that cause this. Many offices have a media plan they belong to and they are offered a selection of magazines to pick from. Mostly medical related stuff and heavy on women's magazines. The only car magazine offered from the largest offering is Car and Driver. They used to also offer Field and Stream but not any more. The magazines are ordered by the office manager and a good one will try to make the waiting room have a selection for what their clientele is. One thing is they look at what the patients are not so much as who is waiting for the patients are. I get this inside information from my wife who is an office manager for a doctors office.

One of the things I did, is I would take my old magazines that I was done with and leave them at the doctors office. I noticed that they got a work out. I had one office that I had to go each month for 6 months and the car mags got read. I would either pull off the mailing label or block it out with a magic marker.

I can still remember reading how to change the intake on a small block Chevy and taking the magazine out side and used it to get me through the first intake swap I did back in the 70's.

I hate to say it but I need to thin out the magazines I still have and send some more off to the recycling bin because I just don't have the room and to be honest I will probably never go back and read them again. The interwebs has ruined the magazine and the need to save them. It's just too easy to Google search and find the old story.

Topspin I have a bunch of the Hat Pins, Official Member decals in a drawer in my desk from NHRA and Good Guys. That "Official Member" NHRA decal was always in the center of the back window and the Good Guys was down in the driver's side corner.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts