Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you enter your SSR in car shows? How is it received? What class or category do you enter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
I usually enter in 2000's or up truck, but convertible, special interest, open, custom, hot rod, roadster, etc. are also viable. When I go with a SSR group, we try to break it so we don't compete with each other. By doing this our group usually wins 2 or more trophies. Dinerman & I entered a carshow and I won 2000 & up truck. But Dinerman won Best Truck overall.

·
MY05SSR
582 Posts
Car Shows

How many of you enter your SSR in car shows? How is it received? What class or category do you enter?

I entered mine into my first show at a church sponsored show and I won 1st place in truck division. It was a smaller gathering with only around 40 vehicles entered (around 10 trucks). It was fun and I entered for next show but I had to cancel so I could attend Warner Robins Rally

·
Ms Donna's Driver
04’ Silver and 05’ Sinister
4,890 Posts
Depending on the classes offered, I usually go 2000 up mini trucks and with Sinister I go with 2000 up modified. Also when several of us are at the same show we pick different classes But for me, I go to the show for enjoyment and not for the trophy

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I usually take my street rod and my wife will take the R in about half the shows. To date I have been in a half dozen shows (one a year) and the R has been in 3.

·
Super Moderator
13,935 Posts
Every car show I go to has different cats
Usually impossible to win! HaHa!

Even though Kate is always Best of Show we have only won Best Chevy Truck 1999 and Newer
Also depends on how many buddies you have - many think I might be a bit of an ass
How dumb are they? - HaHa!

·
Registered
173 Posts

I entered mine just for the thrill. I figured i was going to be at the show and people would look anyhow. We were entered into and won the 2000-2010 truck category. There was definitely a large amount of interest in it. I'm going to put it in again after the repairs are done.

That pic is my dad guarding it at the show. :grin2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
I usually always have some fun and relaxation at the same time.
Although this past weekend was two shows back to back that were hot and long arrived 1pm let after awards at 9pm Friday. Arrived 9am (wanted shady spot, at least until later!) and because I got a 1st place had to wait until after awards at 7pm on Saturday
I don't leave after I receive my award -- I kind of think its rude, I wait until all awards are over before leaving.

I also play golf as a hobby but not relaxing!
I consider attending car shows as relaxing and golf is a diversion!

They have a website from the photographer , I posted my pictures (must have been taken after judging because I had reinstalled my license plate so I wouldn't forget!) however if you want to see the caliber of cars this show attracts some of them can be seen at this link.
If your curious
https://shoppingcart.fairfieldphoto.com/gallery/19CAS/home

19CAS_0800.JPG
19CAS_1061.JPG

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,039 Posts
Where I live here in western South Dakota there are only two car clubs and both have in their bylaws your car has to be 1985 or older to join and also to be in a car show. So here is the deal I made with them. I can park at the car show, hood up talk and visit but I can't be in the car show. Here is my deal. I go and have fun with the lawn chairs and visit the motor-heads, etc. but I am not in the show. That way everyone is having fun. I don't pay the $20 entry fee and can't win a trophy but still have a ball. Works for me.

Attachments

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,386 Posts
Just curious. Do they allow replicars if their prototype year meets the bylaws?

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,039 Posts
Just curious. Do they allow replicars if their prototype year meets the bylaws?

They go by what year is on the title. Most replicas or kit cars are titled in the year finished so wouldn't work.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,386 Posts
Just thinking out loud.

Reactions: yellow bear

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
@Auggie Doggie
Not sure of the population in your area, but there is bound to be some auto enthusiasts in your area that are in the same boat as you. Have ever considered starting your own club, or just trying to work with a local business with some extra parking to actually host a car show benefiting a local charity that would be open to all makes, models and years. You could also try a church or VFW parking lot as a host location. Doesn't matter if its tuners, newer cars or kit cars. The idea is to gather with other gearheads and promote the hobby to the next generation while raising money for a local charity.

Maybe post a flier at local auto parts stores for interested parties to contact you. Also post on some type of neighborhood social media?
OLD RIDE.com is a great place to post and find events by state.

Other well attended events include cars and coffee on Saturday mornings or an evening "cruise in" at a local diner/restaurant. A town north of me has a monthly "crusin with the King" at a local burger king! others include a monthly event at a BW3, and all Chevy powered event at a local Chevy dealer. A weekly event on Thursdays at a small diner in a small town on west side of Columbus. The host site would reserve some parking and give a discount to cars coming into register. All have donation buckets for a local charity. Registration fees if there are awards otherwise usually no fees. These could be held weekly or monthly depending on various circumstances. This could then lead to discussions for your own club and/or your own show.

this will take some effort but just a thought. Nothing worth doing ever came easy.

If you can't join them --
BEAT THEM!

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,039 Posts
@Auggie Doggie
Not sure of the population in your area, but there is bound to be some auto enthusiasts in your area that are in the same boat as you. Have ever considered starting your own club, or just trying to work with a local business with some extra parking to actually host a car show benefiting a local charity that would be open to all makes, models and years. You could also try a church or VFW parking lot as a host location. Doesn't matter if its tuners, newer cars or kit cars. The idea is to gather with other gearheads and promote the hobby to the next generation while raising money for a local charity.

Maybe post a flier at local auto parts stores for interested parties to contact you. Also post on some type of neighborhood social media?
OLD RIDE.com is a great place to post and find events by state.

Other well attended events include cars and coffee on Saturday mornings or an evening "cruise in" at a local diner/restaurant. A town north of me has a monthly "crusin with the King" at a local burger king! others include a monthly event at a BW3, and all Chevy powered event at a local Chevy dealer. A weekly event on Thursdays at a small diner in a small town on west side of Columbus. The host site would reserve some parking and give a discount to cars coming into register. All have donation buckets for a local charity. Registration fees if there are awards otherwise usually no fees. These could be held weekly or monthly depending on various circumstances. This could then lead to discussions for your own club and/or your own show.

this will take some effort but just a thought. Nothing worth doing ever came easy.

If you can't join them --
BEAT THEM!

Sounds like a good place to start. Thanks for the ideas.

·
SSR Believer
1,669 Posts
Interacting with other "car folks" is fun for me... not so much for the wife. So I tend to attend the smaller, more local shows by myself.

I've tried various categories like special interest, 2000+ truck, convertible, etc. We've yet to win an award. That would be nice, but not the entire point of being there. More often than not ours is the only R in the show. Seems like most of the awards go to the vehicles that are clearly not daily drivers and have a lot of mods. Judges are often older and seem to favor the old-school stuff too.

The R gets plenty of looks however. I've heard people say everything from "Wow, nice paint" to "What the hell is that?!" ? My favorite comment was something like "Cool, I'm glad to see this here. You can only look at so many '57 Chevys and 65 Mustangs!"

Because it's often the only R there it's special, but visitors really have no idea how much work's gone into it or what mods have been made with nothing to compare it to. Most of them probably think that it came from the factory as-is.

I wander the show a few times looking at everyone else's vehicles, taking pictures of my favorites to share later. Some owners are talkative, others not so much. I've seen some of the same cars several time and have gotten to know the owners. If it's a big show that can take up some of the "downtime". It gets a little boring at smaller shows though. I like the shows that start around 10am and wrap up by 3pm. Some try to drag it out for hours longer which just makes the day too long.

I went with about 14 other members of a local car club I belong to last weekend. Almost all of them have older vehicles from the 30's through the 60's so the R is a bit out of place.

I like "official" car shows better than if they're part of something else like an "Annual Giant Kumquat Festival" or whatever. Attendees of car shows are generally more respectful, informed, curious and don't let their rug rats smear ice cream on your seats. ;)

Overall it's fun to have people take notice of the R though... even if they have no idea what it is... and especially if they've never seen one. ?

SSR Clatskanie 062919.jpeg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts