Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my carbon fiber L88 hood from Kaminari installed on my SSR. Still have a little more work to finish it up. Want to get a clear coat on it with painted pinstripes. Right now I have vinyl pinstripes to see how it looked. Glad Kaminari was able to get Eric’s molds and start producing them again as I really needed the clearance under the hood with all the other engine mods I had done last year.

After install

before pic
6B423451-C298-4B22-8C4F-E0ED697E91DB.jpeg

edit: put the before pic at end so the carbon hood show in the message preview

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,738 Posts
Nice looking hood @MorbidSlowBurn....are you leaving it with the carbon fibre look? Just wondering where you are located? Couldn't find it on your profile. Cheers

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
4,149 Posts
Wow! Good for you! I've been talking about getting one for awhile now! I think it would look great on Thunder! Better just pull the trigger since I know for sure that they are actually making them! Congratulations! 😎

Reactions: Railroad Guy

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,887 Posts
Looks nice. Like @240 Gordy Gordy said, Consider clicking on the Colored Letter/Picture, top far right corner, go down to "Account Settings", click, and fill in your information. Especially your LOCATION and the year of your SSR, like the rest of us. Then go the the left side and click on "Signature". Also put the year of your SSR in your "Signature", and anything else you want to show in your posts, and we can help you better if you have a problem. When you finish click the "SAVE" box.

Nick & Kathy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the responses everyone.

At this time I am going to leave it carbon fiber. Don’t want to go too overboard with the carbon so this will be the only carbon (well for now). Although I do want to clear and pinstripe the hood to give it a little accent. Played around with vinyl stripes that are in the photo and I like the look.

If anyone knows a good paint shop near Philly (I’m in NE Philly) I will gladly take recommendations. I drive it pretty much every day there isn’t snow or ice on the ground.

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt
49,506 Posts
Nice hood I really like it.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Just got my carbon fiber L88 hood from Kaminari installed on my SSR. Still have a little more work to finish it up. Want to get a clear coat on it with painted pinstripes. Right now I have vinyl pinstripes to see how it looked. Glad Kaminari was able to get Eric’s molds and start producing them again as I really needed the clearance under the hood with all the other engine mods I had done last year.

After install
View attachment 585880
View attachment 585881
View attachment 585882
before pic
View attachment 585879

edit: put the before pic at end so the carbon hood show in the message preview
Looks good on the Slingshot. Some things look better on different colors. Don't think the Carbon Fiber would look good on a Redline. How close was the fitment. When I installed my fasica from Kaminari it took very little body work for correct fitment. Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks good on the Slingshot. Some things look better on different colors. Don't think the Carbon Fiber would look good on a Redline. How close was the fitment. When I installed my fasica from Kaminari it took very little body work for correct fitment. Thanks
I want to get it to a professional body shop for clear and final adjustments. The front is a little tight to the fender. The rear has a larger gap. So needs some tweaking but doesn’t look too bad unless you are looking for the gaps.

Originally I had the strut brackets pointed the same as the original. Noticed they would hit the fender when closing the hood. I wound up rotating them so the ball is pointed vertically. doesn’t appear to put any additional stress on the bracket.

FYI the struts and brackets are also from Kaminari. I gave them some feedback as the strut bracket had a 1” hole spacing yet the hood has a 1.5” hole spacing. I wound up modifying my brackets to fit.

If anyone is looking for more clearance under the hood I highly recommend the L88. I still have about 2” of clearance over my intake (would hit the OEM hood with the Holley Mid-rise I have).

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
I want to get it to a professional body shop for clear and final adjustments. The front is a little tight to the fender. The rear has a larger gap. So needs some tweaking but doesn’t look too bad unless you are looking for the gaps.

Originally I had the strut brackets pointed the same as the original. Noticed they would hit the fender when closing the hood. I wound up rotating them so the ball is pointed vertically. doesn’t appear to put any additional stress on the bracket.

FYI the struts and brackets are also from Kaminari. I gave them some feedback as the strut bracket had a 1” hole spacing yet the hood has a 1.5” hole spacing. I wound up modifying my brackets to fit.

If anyone is looking for more clearance under the hood I highly recommend the L88. I still have about 2” of clearance over my intake (would hit the OEM hood with the Holley Mid-rise I have).

If you need help in adjusting the hood better give me a call. I am a Retired body shop owner and I worked on numerous R’s. I am located just north of Lancaster, PA. Akron,
717-951-5159
Doug

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,314 Posts
Originally I had the strut brackets pointed the same as the original. Noticed they would hit the fender when closing the hood.
Looking at the photo of the hood bracket attachments, it appears that the brackets are located too close to the edge of the hood. Doing so will absolutely cause this impact. They should actually be centered in the small rectangular panel of the inner hood. We found that out years ago while tweaking the 2003-2004 hood strut kit Installation documents. I’ll give Peter a call at Kaminari about it....

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Personally and only IMO I am not a big fan of what is called the "L88" hood. However, it does serve a clearance purpose The 1967 L88 did not have that hood I believe but the Stinger hood.

What vehicle did they originally put this type of L88 hood on?

Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looking at the photo of the hood bracket attachments, it appears that the brackets are located too close to the edge of the hood. Doing so will absolutely cause this impact. They should actually be centered in the small rectangular panel of the inner hood. We found that out years ago while tweaking the 2003-2004 hood strut kit Installation documents. I’ll give Peter a call at Kaminari about it....

Regards,

Mike
Mike
Let me know if there are any measurements or references you need to confirm.
Mike

1 - 20 of 29 Posts