Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have met a guy/company at one of our custom car shows that has set up a dip type tank in our town. He specializes in Carbon Fiber Dips. After Dipping he clear coats the piece. He had several pieces on display and it looked awesome. Also had a video showing the process. He can dip or partial dip and partial paint most anything. Here is my question. What is your opinion on Carbon fiber dip on the rear spoiler wing and or the front spoiler splitter. Could do some other parts also. Just need some advice here before I spend the money.

Check it out:

Reactions: Jersey red

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,273 Posts
Yep, it is a hydro transfer, not a true carbon fiber. It is basically a decal. I've had a number of underhood pieces dipped this way.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,222 Posts
I think the spoilers would lend themselves very well to the carbon look. Yes, hydro dipping is just a water decal as others mentioned. You could do a simple vinyl wrap with the same parts but it would not last as long and would not conform to the parts as well.

As long as the prep and clear coating were done properly I think it can be quite attractive but I have seen a few failures where it was not done well and starts to look pretty junky after a short time. Not a total loss if it does as you can always redo it or change it.

If the company seems very reputable I would say go for it.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I've used black carbon fiber vehicle wrap film for accents on my silver truck and I like the look. I've also seen demos of the dip process. Not sure what it costs, but if it's reasonable, and I had pieces or parts I couldn't wrap, I'd do it in a heart beat.

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know how the process works. Just asking for advice and opinions on how you think it would look on the Slingshot Yellow? I think it would look great. Just asking for input from other FANATICS. Thanks.

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yellow and black?? No brainer. How much $$ do they want to dip your spoiler???
Haven't got down to the cost nitty gritty yet. Just deciding if I want to do it or not. Lots of the new cars like Cadillac, Corvette, etc. have the Carbon Fiber parts and I really like the look.

Reactions: Jersey red

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I like carbon fiber and am thinking of doing some dip work on my black truck. The key is the prep work and the finish. I have seen stuff not cleaned and start to come apart fairly quickly and that looks bad. I was thinking of maybe doing some red carbon accents on my black truck.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I know how the process works. Just asking for advice and opinions on how you think it would look on the Slingshot Yellow? I think it would look great. Just asking for input from other FANATICS. Thanks.
Auggie Doggie, I like it but I think you need an off setting piece up front like the lower spoiler.
John F.

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Auggie Doggie, I like it but I think you need an off setting piece up front like the lower spoiler.
John F.
That is what I said in my first post. Rear spoiler wing and "Front Spoiler/Splitter". Thanks.

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have met a guy/company at one of our custom car shows that has set up a dip type tank in our town. He specializes in carbon fiber dips. After dipping he clear coats the piece. He had several pieces on display and it looked awesome. Also had a video showing the process. He can dip or partial dip and partial paint most anything. Here is my question. What is your opinion on carbon fiber dip on the rear spoiler wing and or the front spoiler splitter. Could do some other parts also. Just need some advice here before i spend the money.

Check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi5jfeqslau

bump!

·
My First Permagrin !
567 Posts
Auggie Doggie
I think it would look really good and different . You can always paint it again if not satisfied with the outcome .
I've been toying with the same idea , and I'm looking forward too seeing it done on yours go for it ! Dave

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
Auggie Doggie
I think it would look really good and different . You can always paint it again if not satisfied with the outcome .
I've been toying with the same idea , and I'm looking forward too seeing it done on yours go for it ! Dave
Jersey Red say it ain't so, your not thinking about putting Yellow on that beautiful Red R. LOL (just pulling your chain):ssr

1 - 14 of 14 Posts