Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it happened...my 2,500 mile SSR took a parking lot hit which will probably require a new left front fender and lower bumper cover. Now I have two questions:

First, is it true that damage of this type will require a Carfax report if a dealer fixes it? Where do they draw the line on filing a report to Carfax?

Second, how best repaired? My SSR was hit at the very forward corner of the fender by a car which was parked next to it. As they pulled out of their space and turned, they pushed my SSR by hitting the left front fender from their right fender/door line. This pushed in the corner of the fender and the bumper cover. It also deformed the fender on my SSR by putting a crease or bend at the upper rear of the wheel arch, messed up the door/fender allignment, and actually pushed the fender forward away from the headlight.

I think it needs a new fender and lower bumper cover. I think I want these parts painted before being mounted to the car. This would allow good coverage of paint in all areas these parts should be painted. Is this the best approach to repair? My SSR is silver.

Thanks in advance,

PCBeach :ssr

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sorry for your troubles, that totally sucks. Did you see it happen or get the driver who did it?

This is why I always park far away and walk a bit farther in a parking lot so no one would dream of parking next to me, in a mostly empty parking lot I admit to being that arrogant sonuvagun that takes up 2 spots :lol

Coz

:reddevil

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
Coz said:
Sorry for your troubles, that totally sucks. Did you see it happen or get the driver who did it?

This is why I always park far away and walk a bit farther in a parking lot so no one would dream of parking next to me, in a mostly empty parking lot I admit to being that arrogant sonuvagun that takes up 2 spots :lol

Coz

:reddevil
I am amazed at how careless people drive in parking lots. I also park as far from other cars as practicle and take a longer walk, but it seems that 9 out of 10 times when I come back, someone has parked right beside me.

·
Thank You To Our Troops
19,853 Posts
Something about Panama City Beach

PCBeach said:
Well, it happened...my 2,500 mile SSR took a parking lot hit which will probably require a new left front fender and lower bumper cover. Now I have two questions:

First, is it true that damage of this type will require a Carfax report if a dealer fixes it? Where do they draw the line on filing a report to Carfax?

Second, how best repaired? My SSR was hit at the very forward corner of the fender by a car which was parked next to it. As they pulled out of their space and turned, they pushed my SSR by hitting the left front fender from their right fender/door line. This pushed in the corner of the fender and the bumper cover. It also deformed the fender on my SSR by putting a crease or bend at the upper rear of the wheel arch, messed up the door/fender allignment, and actually pushed the fender forward away from the headlight.

I think it needs a new fender and lower bumper cover. I think I want these parts painted before being mounted to the car. This would allow good coverage of paint in all areas these parts should be painted. Is this the best approach to repair? My SSR is silver.

Thanks in advance,

PCBeach :ssr

Oh my God!!! I feel your pain. PCB is where we had "the unfortunate incident" that happened to our SSR. A spring breaker backed into ours there. (Also a parking lot hit) My husband handled all the insurance stuff. A certain % of the value of the car has to be damaged for it to go to the report. Fortunately ours was below the limit. (although it was $2300 woth of damage). Talk to your insurance man and he can tell you all this. Danny called ours immediatley although it wasnt our fault and she had insurance. We also got a check for loss of value of the car. (a tip my husband got from our insurance man). I will PM you later when my husband gets home about the repairs.

P.S. Were headed down there for the winter in a few weeks. Maybe I should leave the SSR home. They like to hit them down there for some reason!!!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Gina,

Good advice on the loss of value. Most people are not aware of this. When you have an accident, collect for both the damage to your car AND the decline in its value because it was involved in an accident. Being a former insurance agency owner I know that this is some good advice. This idea has only come about in the last several years.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
big-daddy said:
I am amazed at how careless people drive in parking lots. I also park as far from other cars as practicle and take a longer walk, but it seems that 9 out of 10 times when I come back, someone has parked right beside me.

:agree

1 - 6 of 6 Posts