Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a yellow SSR number 1899 and i get a lot of condensation on the hindges and all axposed metal on the inside of the cover none of the seals leek but the truck is outside with a cover. I live in N.J. has anyone else experinced this problem? I wonder if this is normal with the cold weather.:angel :confused

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Cargo area

I seem to have a lot of condensation as well. At first I thought it might be a leak, I'm leaning to just condensation now. Although when it gets warmer, I will line part of the bed with paper towels and hose the truck down just to see if it looks like it's leaking.

Someone else in the forum said his was delivered with water in the bed, so this may be a problem.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CARGO LEAK ?

I tested my seals by stuffing a cloth at each corner on both sides and pored a pitcher of water in .There was enough water to see if the seals were leaking. And i also did the froht seal there was no leak on the seal. I also had a appointment at the dealer with a so called water expert . He also came up with the same conclueshin. He said it was one of the best seals he has seen on a chevy. And sence its prety air tight and not vented you get more condensation. We will see what will happen in warmer weather. :angel

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
:-(

It turns out it does leak! I guess I have to take it in :confused

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cargo Cover Leak

My Red SSR spent the 1st week in the Dealership trying to get the seal fixed in the cargo area. When the truck was delivered to the dealership, I looked it over pretty well and noticed the condensation. I also noted that the carpet was wet and they had to remove and dry everything in the cargo area.

Zone guy came and authorized the fix and it turned out that it didn't work. I was out of town on Business and they kept it for 10 more days trying to order the seal in. The order was rejected by the system(?) at least twice. Finally I just took delivery and told them I'd bring back the truck when they received the new part. On 12-22, I took the truck back to the dealer to get the new seal and got it back 12-24 with the understanding that I shouldn't get it too wet...

The seal has to have a chemical reaction to activate the sealer at approximately 85 degrees. Shortly after that however, the sealer will crystalize and become unstable. My service guy is all over getting this rectified but has to deal with Chevy on it now. I'm sure that after the holidays, we'll get some answers.

buck

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Leak story continues

I've taken the truck in to have the leak fixed once. The dealership had made it so that it doesn't leak as much, but it still leaked. So I dropped it off again last week to see if they could do anything else. They said that they have now been informed that there are new seals being made (which we'd heard here before) and they would order one for me.
In the mean time I had asked them to check into the window not dropping 1/4 1 out of every 200 door openings. It turns out that there was also a leak in the door. They said that they would order a latch that should solve the problem, but that there isn't one available anywhere...the next day it was delivered, to their surprise.
I also asked them to check the climate control fan which seemed to make noise in the 1st and 2nd position but not the 3rd-5th and it only happened when I was braking...I thought the fan was loose from it's mount and was hitting something as it was forced forward when I was braking. The dealer said that there is actually a technical bulletin that the fan makes a noise in the 2nd position, but there is no fix at this time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My fan is chirping like a bird in position 1 (loud). It's making a rattling sound in position 3. I thought I'd grt them to replace the fan on next service. I guess a fan replacement won't help yet.

Slingshot

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Fan

Well....even though the dealer told me that they couldn't fix the fan, it is fixed.... guess that's the pay back for telling me the window was fixed and it wasn't. :)

I've told the service rep that as long as they get it right in the end, I'll be happy. Of course I'll be happier if it's done now rather than later.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Cargo cover leak

I have had my SSR in twice to fix the cargo cover leak and each time the dealer fixed it so that less water leaked in, but there is still a leak. During the heavy rains here this weekend I got more water in the bed than I have had in a while. I've been waiting to take it in to get it fixed again because I thought I heard rumors that they were redesigning the seal, but when I asked the dealer this morning (when I took it in for a hydraulic cylinder leak), the dealer told me that they have now been told that GM said "well, the cargo area may not be totally water proof". Has anyone else heard this? Those of you ordering 2005s, could you ask if GM is still advertising it as a water proof cargo area?

I'm disappointed in this 'decision', if it indeed has been made. Any more info would be appreciated, or I'll have to remember only to put waterproof items in the cargo area.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
test for leak

Brownhornet,

First open your cargo area and place paper towels in the rear corners of the bed. Then close the bed and pour a large bucket of water in the corners. Open the the cargo area after the water has drained and see if the paper towels are wet. The problem with the seals, as it's been explained to me is that they can't handle a large amount of water at one time because the water has to drain through a hole. If the water is greater than can be drained through the hole the water backs up and overflows the seal.

Hope your's doesn't leak :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
It never rains in S Ca.

You guys need to move to California, it never rains! :seeya
Ted

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Ya know what? Mine has never leaked and I am thankful. I have had quite a few problems with my top but the cargo bed works perfectly and seals air tight for sure. The only time it gets wet is when I have my longboard in the back with the tail gate open and it is raining. It has rained a lot here this July and nearly record rainfall for our area. My bed has been perfectly dry and I drive it in the rain a lot. I wish I could tell you why it is working so well, but I am just thankful it is.

·
Registered
152 Posts
shiftz33 said:
I can't see how GM can state that the bed is not leak proof if they sell carpet kits for this bed that would be ruined by the water leaks. ???
Believe the cargo compartment trim (carpet) is really a Bedrug (see www.bedrug.com for details) and can get wet without difficulty. :yesnod

This product is amazing and does not suffer from dampness or getting real wet. My buddy in Alabama has this product in the back of his 5 y.o. F150 without any cover such that it is always getting wet.... he hoses it out as part of his weekly cleanup, when he washes the truck, and about once a month gets in the back and brushes it with soap and water.... looks damned near good as new after 5 or more years..... :cuss

Our SSr got some oil crap on it from a lawn mower and the weed wacker my son decided to haul in it couple of weeks ago. Over the weekend, we just used some Simple Green and a boat deck brush on it before hosing it out as we washed the baby up.... have to admit that my g.f. insisted on vaccuming when it dried so that the pile stood up again (get your minds out of the gutter).... :)

:cheers

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Funky smell - water leak

We were noticing a really funky mildewy odor in our SSR. After investigating, we found the carpet in the bed was really wet, and boy does it stink! We had torrential rains two days last week, and my husband doesn't have covered parking at work.

Anyway, we took it by the dealership on Saturday, and they are supposed to call for us to bring it in for repairs once they get it "approved". Has the new seal been issued yet? Also, should I try to get the carpet kit replaced since it is so stinky, or will cleaning suffice?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Leak

As far as I know, no new seal has been released (always heard rumors, but nothing happened). My leak was eventually fixed by a field tech.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Ask for the Replacement

vettegirl said:
We were noticing a really funky mildewy odor in our SSR. After investigating, we found the carpet in the bed was really wet, and boy does it stink! We had torrential rains two days last week, and my husband doesn't have covered parking at work.

Anyway, we took it by the dealership on Saturday, and they are supposed to call for us to bring it in for repairs once they get it "approved". Has the new seal been issued yet? Also, should I try to get the carpet kit replaced since it is so stinky, or will cleaning suffice?

Thanks!
I would get the replacement. The cleaning may not get all of the mold and mildew out. Some of it may remain so that if you get the carpet wet (you spill something) Then the residual mildew will start to grow again.

:seeya E :seeya

P.S. Good Luck and I hope everyone solves their bed wetting problem :lol

·
Registered
262 Posts
bed condensation

I Too Have Had Condensation In The Rear Of The Bed. I Have A Early 2004.
I Found The Leak To Be From The Water Running Down Through The Verticle W/strip ( From The Upper Area, Through The Factory Hole Which Allows The Water To Drain From Top To Bottom). On Mine, The Problem Was That When The Water From Above Hit The Bed Floor It Just Went Inside Because It Was Not Directed To Go To The Outside. I Made Up A "dam" From Rtv Siliconewhich Is About 1/4 Inchwide And 1/4 Inch Tall
To Direct The Water To The Outside Of The Tail Gate Area. This "dam" Will Connect With The Small 1/4 Inch Wide "half Round" Piece The Factory Had Installed. This Coured 90 % Of The Water Coming In From The Sides. Then There Was Other Water That Would Come In Under The Tailgate. It Would Be Stopped Eventually By The Factory W/strip One Inch Forward. I Put An Extra Piece Of "half Round" 1/4 X 1/4 W/strip On The Very Edge Of The Flat Area Below The Tail Gate. This Stopped All The Water Entry And Moisture Problems. I Drive My Ssr Every Day, So It Gets Plenty Of Water, Either From Rain Or My Obsession Of Washing It!!
If Anyone Has Any Questions, I'll Be Glad To Share Info With You.
Circlek454

1 - 20 of 23 Posts