Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cargo release button in my 2005 is not working. It was moved from the glove box to the dash before I bought the truck and I don't remember using it because I used the key FOB. I tried to check whether it was getting current (with the bulb type tester that connects to a ground) and I did not see any indication that there was power to it. I checked to see if the connectors used to extend the wiring to the new button location were tight and they seemed to be. However, when I connected my tester to probe one of the three wires that comes from the button at the button itself (the tester was grounded to a door bolt) I heard the a relay prompt a release of the cargo cover and indeed it was open.
Any advise would be appreciated.

(I must admit I may be having RCM problems but am guessing I should be able to get the release button on the dash working as a separate issue. My battery went dead and I put it on a charger. I heard a clicking noise behind the passenger seat. I immediately disconnected the battery. I replaced the battery and no more clicking. At about the same time I "misplaced" the key and FOB I had been using and began using an extra key and FOB I had. The key operates the doors and ignition, but will not unlatch the cargo bay or lock the doors. I recently hit the emergency button on the FOB and got the horn blowing which stopped after a couple of minutes, but then I heard the clicking sound again. It stopped clicking in less than a minute and no more clicking since. My motto right now is lets get the button on the dash fixed, then I will worry about the FOB/RCM next. By the way, I read the threads related to the cargo latch not working....I checked the fuses and relays...all good. I also ordered a top release tool which should be here any day.)

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,508 Posts
jimh, Someone with electrical knowledge will help, but meantime, Welcome from Forney Texas!!! you are on the BEST FORUM ever! -----Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

Nick & Kathy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info....keep getting a problem with website error and can't download the power point

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,477 Posts
Thanks for advise. I will do as you advise. First, got to fix that button...
Unless that button light up I cannot imagine why there are three wires. If one of the wires to ground makes the lid work I would replace the button with the one wire and a ground as the only two attached.

Reactions: nj6969

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
Unless that button light up I cannot imagine why there are three wires. If one of the wires to ground makes the lid work I would replace the button with the one wire and a ground as the only two attached.
Blue streak
Possibly without knowing you hit the nail on the head according to the wiring diagrams

Please see the attached
#1 show the wiring of the switch -- the switch grounds terminal "C" (tan wire?)to send signal to RDM (roof door Module) rear lid release command. This is accomplished by "jumping" to ground (black wire)pin A.
# 2 shows the pin out view of the switch - Note it shows two black wires ??
But it also shows a brown and white wire that supplies power from the instrument panel dimming supply.
SO YES that switch is lighted????
I never looked!

If the bed cover released when you back probed pin C (tan? or black) but still pin C, You have a bad switch or bad ground. To confirm the ground either see if light works (have to have headlight on) or use a jumper wire to connect pins A to C and see if lid releases.

I hope this helps

let us know what you find out so we can research more if required!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you all so much.....I am out of town until next week but will explore the problem then.

thanks again

(FYI.....I am in the Charlotte, NC area)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good news???
Think the switch/button is bad. I am getting power to it (pin D), but the light doesn't light up.
I jumped pin C with Pin A and the switch to the rear latch activated......but will not activate when I just push the button (no jump).

I will order a new button, put it in and let you know how things work out.

Thank you so much for advise and the diagrams

·
Daily Driver
8,949 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Jimh, that's how we accumulate fixes. :cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Success!!!!!
Put the new switch/button in a few minutes ago and everything is working as it should.
Thank you everyone again.
Now....got to find that "misplaced" FOB and key.......

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,477 Posts
Success!!!!!
Put the new switch/button in a few minutes ago and everything is working as it should.
Thank you everyone again.
Now....got to find that "misplaced" FOB and key.......
That is simple. It is right where you left it.>:)>:)>:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts