Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the side saddles as well as the cargo net and bar. The salesman said the cargo net bar can't be used with the saddle bags. I think someone doesn't know how to install accessories. It looks to me that the saddle bags have to come out before the cross bar is installed?? Any instructions on how to do this, I'll try it my self.

Thank you

·
Registered
136 Posts
net

cool, huh. dealers just bought all the accessories to make sure they didn't miss any. this is a knucklebuster, but can be done.

the problem with removing the net bar is the fact that it needs to be turned 90 degrees before you can remove it. soooooo, first you need to take out the saddlebags. fortunately, the top of the saddlebag will slide off from the back when you open it. then there should be plastic wingnuts that hold the saddlebag to the bed. when you remove them, the saddlebags should slide out the back. then, you cad adjust the net bar easily and remove it if you'd like. I just took the bags out and put them in the house, don't know what the hell to do with them. good luck

t

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Side storage

I believe the salesman was right. You CAN have both installed at the same time, but it's a pain to use the side storage with the cargo net bar above them. I'm taking one side storage out for now and may take the second out later. I'm leaving the one in because I plan on keeping bungy cords in there. Why? Well I found out last weekend that a 17" computer monitor box is too tall to put in the truck bed and close the tonneau cover. So I had to drive a couple of miles with the cover open and just the cargo net holding it down a little. I don't want to be caught in that situation again. And yesterday I tried to put a long tall box in the bed, but I could not figure out how to get the cargo net cross bar out. If I have to remove the side storage in order to get the cross bar out, I'm going to be pissed.

Irish, I you could elaborate a little more on how that cross bar comes out, I'd apretiate it.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
:D He has it right, however, first you need to remove the plastic end caps on the side rails with a screwdriver. They just pop right out so keep an eye on em! There are end caps on the rails at both ends, by the tail gate and by the front of the bed near the driver and passenger. Once you pop off the caps, loosen the round knobs so that the rail slides towards the tail gate. Rotate the rail downward (it won't go past that piece of plastic at the end unless you rotate it downwards). It will slide right out. The knob is attached to a small piece of metal with a hole for the thread in the knob. Those little pieces of metal can be pretty sharp when you put em back in so be careful. I cut the daylights out of my fingers trying to put mine in before I figured out they had to be filed a bit. If they are in there now, they should not need that. That should do it!:) Oh, don't forget to put the end caps back on the rails! They are pretty small and easily lost!

·
Registered
136 Posts
don't think the saddle bags and net bar can coexist. the problem with removing the bar is the need to rotate the bar down to remove it. if you can rotate it, you can remove without taking the end cap off. if you loosen the knobs on the bar, it will compact a few inches.

good luck

t

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Cargo net

Hi everybody, I picked up my SSR on Dec. 12, 2003. Slingshot yellow. Already have 3000 miles on it and a lot of that with the top down. Gets a lot of attention. I read several discussions about the cargo net and I feel that Chevy could have done a much better job on it. I took the bar out and installed two of the tie downs in the bed tracks at the very back and two of the tie downs in the side tracks about six inches from the back of the track. I took the cargo net and turned it sideways,with the loop that went over the bar on the left, and just hooked the net to the four tiedowns. It works better and is easy to remove.

·
SSR Pit Crew
9,297 Posts
I use the soft stowage bags and the cargo net at the same time, picture in my SSR Photos...cargo bar in the garage. Fits my needs great!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I recently purchase Cargo Bar and net at gmparts direct. Installation wasn't difficult but assembly instuctions sucked. After having the bar and net for a couple of months, I feel you would be much better off spending your money on the soft storage bags as the net is pretty much useless.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I just use one of those ratcheting cargo bars, from any automotive store. I put it a bit back from the tailgate and put a couple of black plastic crates between it and the gate. good for grocderies, etc. Its very easy to remove or reposition for larger objects as needed, and about $25 bucks for a good quality one.
It would be nice if the company that makes the "Bed Extender" would come out with one for our trucks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts