Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the limited cockpit space I've been thinking about adding hard or soft storage to my truck. I was leaning toward the hard boxes but I just read the string about storage and the consensus seems to lean toward the soft saddle bags.
Does anyone have the storage organizer installed and, if so, how do you like it? I'm just looking for somewhere to keep a set of jumper cables and a small tool kit. My truck came with the "cargo net" and that seems to be a useless option. It looks more like a hammock.
Thanks.
Ron :jester :) :jester

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Mike

Mike in AZ has the cargo box, send him a PM for his opinion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ron said:
With the limited cockpit space I've been thinking about adding hard or soft storage to my truck. I was leaning toward the hard boxes but I just read the string about storage and the consensus seems to lean toward the soft saddle bags.
Does anyone have the storage organizer installed and, if so, how do you like it? I'm just looking for somewhere to keep a set of jumper cables and a small tool kit. My truck came with the "cargo net" and that seems to be a useless option. It looks more like a hammock.
Thanks.
Hi Ron,
I am working on a new cargo origanizer that should work very well. It will have three divided (netted) areas and be able to move from the back of the bed to the front, using the tracks of the bed. Also can be removed from the the bed, or changed to just be a devider in seconds. It measures 32"long X 14"wide X 8"tall. I should have the proto type finished by next weekend or before.
I also will have four Secure Rails (Chrome bed diveders) ready by then also. I have sold several of these on ebay. I will have pictures later.
Warren :seeya

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
cargo boxes

I have a set of unused original hard cargo boxes from my 03. They fit all years.
I will sell them foer a reasonable price. I am in Calif. on the central coast.
Howard

·
Certified SSR "Nutcase"
1,816 Posts
Ron said:
Thanks.

I ordered the soft-side saddle bags and the cargo organizer from my Chevy dealer. The soft-side bags are nice for jumper cables and a tool kit, as you mentioned. I also keep a first aid kit in one of them, as well as my hitch insert and the cargo net. The cargo organizer is good for hauling bags of groceries, particularly the plastic bags (you can get several of them in the organizer.) They are somewhat expensive (surprize, surprize), but I think they are worthwhile additions nevertheless.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
SSR03 said:
How do you secure the organizer bag?
My OEM cargo organizer does not really slide around. It just sits there on the SSR cargo mat without being attached to anything. It is just about the width of the cargo area. It has long rubber or plastic type narrow rudders on the left and right side underneath the organizer. I find it great for keeping things in and for putting bags in when I go shopping. Almost forgot to mention that there are "D" rings on the bottom side of each corner. Check out the GM site below for picture.

http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/accesso...r=2006&detail=06_SSR_SBO&sid=8693815884141860

:seeya :seeya :seeya :ssr :willy: :willy: :willy:​

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's an update to my storage problem. My SSR was supposed to come with the "towing package" (read trailer hitch insert) but it was nowhere to be found when I picked the truck up a month ago. The dealer promised to order me one and call me when it arrived. After waiting three weeks and getting the run-around I stopped by the dealership one evening to check on it and the sales manager told me that the hitch insert was an option that I had to order (and pay for) and was not included in the package. I knew better and directed his attention to the display in the showroom that lists all of the Chevrolet models along with the colors and options available. I turned to the '06 SSR page and showed him the tow package did indeed include the hitch insert and also, to my surprise, the soft side storage bags. I don't think the '05's came with the bags as part of the package. They immediately went to an '06 on the showroom floor and took the hitch insert and the bags out and helped me carry them out to my truck.
Results - I got my hitch and solved my storage problems in one stop.
EXCELLENT :D :thumbs :D :thumbs

·
Registered
740 Posts
ssrus said:
Hi Ron,
I am working on a new cargo origanizer that should work very well. It will have three divided (netted) areas and be able to move from the back of the bed to the front, using the tracks of the bed. Also can be removed from the the bed, or changed to just be a devider in seconds. It measures 32"long X 14"wide X 8"tall. I should have the proto type finished by next weekend or before.
I also will have four Secure Rails (Chrome bed diveders) ready by then also. I have sold several of these on ebay. I will have pictures later.
Warren :seeya
I don't have an e-bay account, but I like that idea. PM me when you have one to sell.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Ron said:
sales manager told me that the hitch insert was an option that I had to order (and pay for) and was not included in the package.
THey want you to think you don't know anything and get away with it. COngratulations on standing up and pointing it out. After helping you take the goodies to your truck did you at least get an apology:smash

Frank

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Ron said:
<snipped>I turned to the '06 SSR page and showed him the tow package did indeed include the hitch insert and also, to my surprise, the soft side storage bags. I don't think the '05's came with the bags as part of the package. They immediately went to an '06 on the showroom floor and took the hitch insert and the bags out and helped me carry them out to my truck.
Results - I got my hitch and solved my storage problems in one stop.
EXCELLENT :D :thumbs :D :thumbs

Was there a foam insert for storing the hitch insert in the bags? That is supposed to be in the '06 package, but nobody seems to know what it is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts