Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Perfectionist
05 Redline, 06 Pac Blue, Spfld, Illinois
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody got a pair of the MOOG caster camber cam tools for adjusting our trucks? Would like to borrow them to try. thx, Dino

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
If you are referring to MOOG p/n T80762 as a tool, it is misleading. The TOOL consists of two parts. One for each side. If you want to adjust both caster and camber you must order TWO tools. They are installed on the vehicle and become part of the R. Hope this helps.

·
Daily Driver
8,967 Posts
I think he's talking about the tool the tire sits on to slide in and out while adjusting the caster/camber. That's useless unless you have some way to read the angle the wheel in sitting at when you tighten everything back up.

·
Perfectionist
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are referring to MOOG p/n T80762 as a tool, it is misleading. The TOOL consists of two parts. One for each side. If you want to adjust both caster and camber you must order TWO tools. They are installed on the vehicle and become part of the R. Hope this helps.
Yes, this is the tool. Cant find any users instructions for it. Didn't know it was a permanent deal. Also didn't know you had to have two of them. Do you move the cams then tighten to hold setting while you re-check? D

·
Perfectionist
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think he's talking about the tool the tire sits on to slide in and out while adjusting the caster/camber. That's useless unless you have some way to read the angle the wheel in sitting at when you tighten everything back up.
I have a speedway motors caster camber bubble gauge.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
The Moog "tool" is from what I understand a way to get additional latitude in adjusting the caster and or camber to the post from Dictators on proper adjustment to prevent premature wear of tires. Talked to a mechanic I trust and that was his advice. Is it worth the investment--I can't advise on that. Hope this helps.....Larry

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Camber adjustment.

For camber adjustment there is a forged plate with two slots in it that you slide in and out to adjust camber. There are 3 large studs that hold it in place after adjustment.
If you are have wear on the inside of your front tires it is probably from negative camber ( wheels are tilted in). If you have adjusted the forged plate in as far as it will go and you have not lowered the truck and you still have negative camber you probably have worn bushings. Replace them with Prothane Bushings that Mike sells.
If the truck is lowered and the bushings are good and you have adjusted the forged plate as far as it will go there are two possible methods of reducing neg. camber, one I have heard of but have no input about is to grind the area of the frame where the round part (where the bushings are) of the forged adjustment plate hits and to machine the slots 1/4" longer to allow the plate to slide in farther. The other is to move the top of the wheel out by changing the upper control arm with an aftermarket that moves the attach point of the upper ball joint and changes the angle. There is one currently on the market that works but involves trimming a large portion of the inner fender and body panel. I was able to get my truck to almost acceptable settings by reducing the amount it is lowered while waiting on the upper control are that Mike is working on.

Jack

1 - 7 of 7 Posts