Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New catalytic converter time. :surprise: Any comments of choice of parts or install ideas??

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
What makes you think cats need replacing?

Could be downstream O2 sensors.
Either one is an expensive dart to throw.

Not sure problems but, I have heard that using one of the spark plug anti-fouling inset modified so you can insert the downstream O2 into it can sometimes trick the PCM preventing a cat efficiency code. I'm not sure if there is clearance or if it will work.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got an engine warning light. Identical to previous bad O2 sensor. I took it to AutoZone for a tech 2 scan and it came back Code P0420 'Bank 1 Catalyst system below threshold...'

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,013 Posts
There seems to be some confusion in that area. Don't know if I would trust the Auto Zone test. If I suspected Cat failure or oxygen sensor failure I would take my SSR to a shop like Exhaust Pro's as they deal with these issues everyday and if you need new Cats or oxygen sensors they usually have high end replacements in stock. After all exhaust is all they do. That way it would be fixed right and fixed once instead of throwing parts at it until you get it right. Just my 2 cents and we all know what that is worth.

Reactions: DOOPHUS

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
I had the same problem and found the cat brick was loose causing the error codes. Installed Pypes hi flo cats at the local muffler shop. The new cats made a major improvement in the R’s performance.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have a New OEM catalytic converter if you are interested in replacing the whole unit. It is a bit pricey, but necessary if you live in certain states (CA NY VT etc.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts