Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After traveling 7k miles from NJ to Az & back, only saw 4(four) SSR's and three of thoses reside in Arizona. While in Phoenix I had a "Catastrophic" failure ( ABS,brake,traction lites & warning bell ) this was while traveling at 75 mph. Realize I'm 2500 miles from my dealer.
Things I had going for me I happen to have a maintenance computer for snap shots of the computers .(this was installed by my local dealer since I had a strange tempature problem). Took Pixs
Went to FREEEWAY Chevrolet Chandler AZ , called my dealer in NJ, who inturn called Freeway. Freeway first attemp to reprogram the computer worked for 30 miles , so back to Freeway I go. Freeway arranged a Loaner (Yukon XL) Their fix was to replace the BCM
Would I Go back to FREEWAY CHEVROLET again YOU BET , :)
BTW I transported the model on the rear deck, got a few strange looks .
Semper Fi
Joe

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
Joe, haven't done RC modelling since - well, way back.

I'm not up on the newest technology, so how is it propelled? - I'm thinking a gas engine with a turbine??

Love to see a shot of the innards with the cockpit off.

That is one spectacular model. Great job, and great photo.

Ray

·
Registered
153 Posts
wildcat66 said:
Very cool Are you going to make a permenant carrier for it!!! Glad everything worked out at the Dealership!!!

:agree :agree :agree
Yes a permenant, custom removable, carrier is a must. Please make one or have one made. It will look GREAT. :party

My $0.02 PocoToro

·
Premium Member
31,286 Posts
Jets are cool!

I'm assuming that's got a real jet in there?

I would love to see some video of you flying your other "slinghot toy"! :thumbs

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The plane is Jet turbine powered 20 pounds of thrust, really gets it moving.
Actually I have a contured styro-foam formed cushion between the deck & model , but it was left at the shop as I waited 7 months to fly this puppy, so the pillow surficed.
I had a slight mishap, on the fifth flight nose gear problem . This plane will remain in Arizona .
Semper Fi
Joe

·
Yes, I have an ATTITUDE !
1,678 Posts
uncljoe said:
After traveling 7k miles from NJ to Az & back, only saw 4(four) SSR's and three of thoses reside in Arizona. While in Phoenix I had a "Catastrophic" failure ( ABS,brake,traction lites & warning bell ) this was while traveling at 75 mph. Realize I'm 2500 miles from my dealer.
Things I had going for me I happen to have a maintenance computer for snap shots of the computers .(this was installed by my local dealer since I had a strange tempature problem). Took Pixs
Went to FREEEWAY Chevrolet Chandler AZ , called my dealer in NJ, who inturn called Freeway. Freeway first attemp to reprogram the computer worked for 30 miles , so back to Freeway I go. Freeway arranged a Loaner (Yukon XL) Their fix was to replace the BCM
Semper Fi
Joe
You should have put the wings on..............might have gotten your SSR air born !! :glol :glol :glol
That would be the BEST WING on a SSR ! :jester

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
uncljoe said:
Semper Fi
Joe
So is it an aircraft carrier? Call it the USSR Yellow Bird

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
uncljoe said:
The plane is Jet turbine powered 20 pounds of thrust, really gets it moving.
Actually I have a contured styro-foam formed cushion between the deck & model , but it was left at the shop as I waited 7 months to fly this puppy, so the pillow surficed.
I had a slight mishap, on the fifth flight nose gear problem . This plane will remain in Arizona .
Semper Fi
Joe
Joe,
Sorry to hear of the nose gear failure. :(
What will be the next one?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's Back

It's Back , with even more lights. ........Approx, 2700 miles after replacing the BCM module.. Even more bells and lights the alarm system failures, !!!!!!!!!!!! so back to the local Dealer, this will make the THRID time GM will attemp to fix, after this I'll start on LEMON LAW proceedings, I really like the SSR but this is getting to become a PIA.
SEMPER FI
Joe
Rob... the next will be a F9F Panther( Korean war)

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,072 Posts
Holy Crap

Joe,

When this happens, is there any other change in the vehicle operation? I mean, other than the bell going off and creating a small pinnacle in the driver's seat. Did you observe any phenomenon prior to the first light or bell????

This is really a weird one. If your local dealership changes the BCM again, it will probably come back. I suspect that there is a voltage regulation issue or floating ground that might be taking out the BCM...... Whaddaya think?

I think this needs GM's SSR BCM expert to make a field call to New Jersey before you start making lemonade......

Mike

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Two more CPU's to go

Mike
There are 3(Three) CPUs in the system (All running their own ucode, who know maybe a race(timing) between one), so they have two more to go. I suggested that GM changes all three at the same time. Prehaps I should have purchased the 05 in Phoenix, and gotten a new set of issues.
Really like the truck But need something a little more realiable. at least it did not crap out on the trip.
Semper Fi
joe
No other indication other than the key fob did not unlock the doors, & when key open the door the alarm went off . Alarm stopped when the engine was started

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,072 Posts
I still think that there is a GM expert that would recognize the symptoms. He's probably a software weenie buried deep in the Controls Engineering department. I hope your dealer is leaning on the factory for support.

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Saga continues

My blood pressure is starting to rise .
Well my truck has been at my local dealer for a week,status so far ???? Friday The service writer reported the snap shot computer said the BCM module was bad(replaced in Phoenix) so the technician disconnected the BCM & reconnected again. Presto the problem disappeared.
I inquired as to what TECH support responce to this kind of TIME BOMB problem fix. they have not received a response back . I asked they why not replace all three(3) CPUs at the same time, that is up to GM.
As this is their(GM) third attemp to fix this Problem( SAFETY issue) I have informed the dealer I have contacted the LEMON LAW attorneys for the required paper work. Hopefully I get the truck back, If not I'll just have to buy a FORD :banghead
Semper Fi
Joe

·
Registered
170 Posts
Wow

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw your navy T-33, many years ago I put hundreds of hours of maintenance into keeping USAF T-33s flying down at Tyndall AFB in Panama City,Fla. Those were some great aircraft, as a young Staffsgt, I had an Engine run lisence,high speed taxi and flew backseat to many a TDY location, many times pilots would let take the stick and play. Once we went down to Homestead to fly with the then new F-16s , those stick jocks got pissed at ours because our little jets could turn inside there loop before the kill, Ha Even though it was the only thing we had on them, anyway thanks for bringing back some great memories 2otters :ssr

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Please don't go get a ford! You have a pristine opportunity to get one of the last production SSR's coming off the line when they get back in gear. Hang in there. :glol

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
replacing all computers

Latest word from the dealer was that GM suggested to change all three computers to solve the problem, . When asked when I might expect to be driving it again, maybe next week if they can locate the needed parts. :nodno
If the repair doesn't work,maybe they(GM) will give me a smoking price on one of the citrus SSR's.If not I will start Lemon Law proceedings. I've had it with the lemon yellow ones.
Semper Fi
Joe

1 - 20 of 26 Posts