Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sunshine SSR
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 SSR has 34,000 miles and I've owned it since it had 500 miles. I've never had any problems with the brakes and each time it is up on a hoist for an oil change, wheel alignment or tires, the brake pads look good.

I recently had it in for an oil change and the technician asked if I had ever had the brakes serviced (take of callipers, lube stuff, inspect rotors and pads). I said no and thought that this was just a thing that shops/techs say to make extra money. After I thought about it, I reflected on the words: "you should service your brakes to insure everything is working properly because YOU NEVER KNOW FOR SURE!"

So... A few weeks later I take the R in for a brake service and when they pull of the front wheels they discover the inside of the rotors are getting rusty AND when they take off the callipers the outside pads have five mm and the inside pads have less than one mm and are done! Apparently the rust had also affected the pressure of the inside callipers and caused unequal and excessive wear on the inside pads. The rear pads all had five mm equally and everything was working fine.

End result: new pads and rotors installed on the front and the rear brakes serviced and I'm good for another 12 years - except I'll be more attentive to servicing my brakes more often.

Happy & safe motoring!

Don

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,798 Posts
I decided to check the brake fluid in the reservoir by purchasing a turkey baster and suctioning out the brake fluid from the reservoir looking at both the color of the fluid and once drained, the inside of the reservoir. What I found in mine was dark brown brake fluid with a black film on the walls of the reservoir and black specks throughout the inside of the reservoir. I cleaned the inside of the reservoir, flushed and bled the brake system in addition to changing out both front rubber brake hoses. It made a significant difference in brake pedal feel.

Dave

·
Bad is Good
288 Posts
I decided to check the brake fluid in the reservoir by purchasing a turkey baster and suctioning out the brake fluid from the reservoir looking at both the color of the fluid and once drained, the inside of the reservoir. What I found in mine was dark brown brake fluid with a black film on the walls of the reservoir and black specks throughout the inside of the reservoir. I cleaned the inside of the reservoir, flushed and bled the brake system in addition to changing out both front rubber brake hoses. It made a significant difference in brake pedal feel.

Dave
dave
what brake lines did you use?
thanks
Bennyb

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,798 Posts
Benny, I went with AC Delco Professional. When I checked initially with Mike Byers and he said only one side was available with the other side being discontinued. I then checked with Mike @simple-engineering and he had no recommendations so I went with the AC Delco since at least in my mind they're a distant relative of the OEM brake hoses. I installed them both with no problems.

Dave

·
My First Permagrin !
567 Posts
So after getting my SSR 3 years ago this is what my brake fluid looked like when I did the turkey baster .
I flushed the fluid and pulled the brakes apart ,cleaned and lubed everything .
ABS shield also installed . Going to do it again in the next few months and also change out the hoses .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
972 Posts
Wow, what a coincidence ... took my SSR to a tire shop today to check on a real slow air leak in the right front tire. Technician said he found no leak but did pull the tire and reseal the rim bead. When he met me in the customer area, he said that my right front brake caliper is leaking and sticking to the rotor. He said he could barely turn the rotor. I inquired the cost to fix and was quoted a price of $900 (new caliper, brake line, rotor, brake pads, shop fees and labor). I said "thank you, I'll do it myself". Purchased the caliper, brake line and pads at the local NAPA (rotor is fine), as well as some tools since I am away from home, for a total out-of-pocket cost of $175. Changed out the caliper in the hotel parking lot (no one saw me ... whew!) and feels like a whole new truck. Bled as best I could but will rebleed to ensure the lines are air-free ... at least no more rotor binding when hand-turned.

Concur, DO NOT NEGLECT YOUR BRAKES!

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,919 Posts
ROCKAUTO.COM has Wagner and some of the AC Delco OEM and Professional hoses and new Delco Master Cylinders too and best pricing.

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
So... A few weeks later I take the R in for a brake service and when they pull of the front wheels they discover the inside of the rotors are getting rusty AND when they take off the callipers the outside pads have five mm and the inside pads have less than one mm and are done! Apparently the rust had also affected the pressure of the inside callipers and caused unequal and excessive wear on the inside pads.
I too had a problem with rust tearing away brake pad material with the original brakes. After the rotors and pads replaced with aftermarket no problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Guys found my right front caliper sticking on my R at the Jacksonville tech day little over a year ago, after lubing up the caliper seems to be fine now @29,000 miles at the time. Looks like another good area to do some preventive maintenance on to avoid bigger and more expensive fixes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts