Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about 30minuets mucking around.

First and immeadiate impression, I'd rather have a dead tree version. I haven't seen one of those yet, but Yeah, Give me paper.

These things are dated. The one I recieved is 12-2003.
It installs an Apache web server and uses IE to browse info.

It seems to have data on just about everything GM. Just what a professional mechanic would want. It has no SSR 2004 data. :cuss

For some things you have to put in a VIN. Presumably so the exact right data is listed. I had to fake my vin number by changing the four to a three.

---------------------------------
AUTO VOL has been discussed before. Here and elsewhere. "Dose it actually work?" "I can't really tell. "

Here is simple test to see if the AUTO VOL feature of the premium sound system is working.

From the manual:
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine ON.
Turn ON the blower motor on the maximum speed.
Cycle the auto volume control ON and then OFF.
Is a difference in volume heard?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Helm's cd's or paper?

I looked at the Helm website again. That's where I ordered the cd's (set of 6). On rereading the description of the dead tree version, it says there are over 3000 pages of info.

I'm wondering, 3000 pages seems like an awful lot of pages for a service manual on the SSR. (A ream of paper for my printer is 250, so 12 reams would fill a shelf or two.)

Any one here know if the paper version is anything more than a hard copy of the info on the cd's?

PS: The cd's cover all GM autos, not just the SSR.

·
Registered
54 Posts
beer100 said:
I looked at the Helm website again. That's where I ordered the cd's (set of 6). On rereading the description of the dead tree version, it says there are over 3000 pages of info.

I'm wondering, 3000 pages seems like an awful lot of pages for a service manual on the SSR. (A ream of paper for my printer is 250, so 12 reams would fill a shelf or two.)

Any one here know if the paper version is anything more than a hard copy of the info on the cd's?

PS: The cd's cover all GM autos, not just the SSR.
The paper version is SSR specific and is about 1000 pages in two volumes. Didn't you say a while back that the CD version is all GM stuff, not just SSR?

·
Registered
54 Posts
ok, I lied. the paper manual is abt 3000 pages. I just remembered the last page number I saw was 12 something - but I forgot the numbers start over every chapter.
Anyway, I looked when I got home just now and it really is 3000 (very thin) pages. Sorry for the confusion.

Actually, that's not too bad - the manual for my escalade is 4 volumes. between the two of them, I guess I can sell the bowflex. :)

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a little hard to guage just what is included. To select a vehicle, I have to use year, make, model pulldowns. Then I get to see the top of a table of contents.

While spot checking, I saw that each year, back to 98, contains most info. Example: Body and interior section was included on 98's. Drop back one more year and the manuals have far fewer chapters. (no body and interior links)

The oldest year is 86. Only service bulletins are included for 86's.

Oh, did I mention the whole thing is like a web site instead of a book. It's not possible to page thru it. No index. No navigation bar. It does have a search function, but you have to know the right terms to put in or nothing is found. :(

It is very consistently layed out. The same series of links to takes you to the same info for each vehicle. If you know what you want, you can get to it quickly.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Paper Manual

KewlRide said:
ok, I lied. the paper manual is abt 3000 pages. I just remembered the last page number I saw was 12 something - but I forgot the numbers start over every chapter.
Anyway, I looked when I got home just now and it really is 3000 (very thin) pages. Sorry for the confusion.

Actually, that's not too bad - the manual for my escalade is 4 volumes. between the two of them, I guess I can sell the bowflex. :)
Where did you get your manual? Helms site is still stating they have not been released by Chevrolet. I sure could use one to locate the B+ Voltage somewhere under the dash, perhaps the cigarette lighter, but how do I get to it? :flag

·
Registered
54 Posts
got it from helm.

here's the order info.
(minus a few unimportant details... :) )

----------------

Thank you for placing your order. Your order will be shipped shortly. We want your shopping experience to be a positive one. Should you have any questions, please email us at [email protected] or call us toll free at (800) 782-4356

1 of GMT03SSR: 2003 Chevrolet SSR (ST-Platform) Service Manual @ $120.00 each

Total: $120.00
Shipping: $17.25
Handling: $6.95
Tax: $0.00
Order Total: $144.20

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Review: Comparing the CD and dead tree manuals

Got the 2004 paper manual last night.

So far, it seems that the cd's and paper manual cover all the same things. Each has its positive aspects.

Paper:
- Easier to read
- The diagrams are legable. In the cd's I have to constantly zoom and pan around.
- I can leaf thru the pages. Eventually I see everything.
- I tend to notice all kinds of stuff as I look for specific items.
- Table of contents
- Index

CD:
- GM's entire product line is included. It's a very cost effective way to get info on a lot of cars.
- It uses links to let you jump to relevant procedures. Like how to get the dash off before removing the radio. This is a case where flipping thru the pages is a draw back.
- You can print what you need and not worry about getting the pages greasy.
- Cut and past works better than with paper :) Great for email.
- You get a web server installed. There must be a way to use that for more than just the service manual.
- Full text searching

All in all, I'll recommend paper over cd's. Unless you need to see info on the entire GM lineup.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Glenn,
Who did you get the paper manual from?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanks for the input, I just bought mine from Helm for a total cost of $ 151.74 including handling and tax (CA). :cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts