Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been contemplating what to do with my exhaust tips for a while. I wanted to do something different than bigger stock tips.
I found and purchased an Aftermarket 93-02 Camaro center exhaust kit. It turns out it will fit right up to the two pipes right behind the hangers and tuck nicely under the hitch and behind the Spare Tire. (No, I don't use the hitch and don't plan to)
I also found a perfect bumper which I will modify to fit the new exhaust outlet. My current bumper has a previous repair and a lousy paint job and I wanted to replace it anyway. A little ABS filling and welding, heating and molding.....

I tool a B&W photo of the back of the truck and mocked up the modification on paper.
This will be my next project on the SSR!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,387 Posts
Hmmmm. Different. Would get a BETTER idea of appearence in color. Not sure I would want it though.? But hey---a lot of things look good on other people's stuff. Go for it!!!

Nick

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
44,517 Posts
That will look great !!!!!!! :thumbs

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,071 Posts
Watch out for the heat transfer from the pipes. You will either need a 3/4" air gap between the tips and the fascia or you need to put some fancy insulation onto the fascia to keep from melting it. Lots of possibilities.......

Mike

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I really like the way it looks, but I don't like the extra bends in it to make it work, might not make to much difference in performance, then again maybe it will. I'll bet it will sound great though. Yup " I like it "!!!!

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I like it! It will set you off from the crowd and probably sound good too. I love creative thinking.

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,931 Posts
:deal: I agree with Mike about the Heat build up. That looks to be a Cast part. Apparently, you have Spare Tire mounted, so, limited cool air circulation going on there at that area.

Otherwise, I LOVE the harmonica look to it ! It definitely cleans up some of the "busyness" of the stock rear, for sure. I like it !
show pics of the build, too.... :thumbs

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,366 Posts
Kudos to you, Greg. I like it a lot. :smile2:

This looks like an ambitious venture to deviate from our stock look. I think it adds a really clean look to the rear of our trucks. Please keep us in the loop as to your progress. :thumbs :thumbs

=============
David :black:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Once you figure out the possible problem of heat from the exhaust it should sound and look great. Thumbs up for another way to turn the truck into your own one of a kind R.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Watch out for the heat transfer from the pipes. You will either need a 3/4" air gap between the tips and the fascia or you need to put some fancy insulation onto the fascia to keep from melting it. Lots of possibilities.......

Mike
Tips are aluminum which will help disapate heat. I will have a 1/8" aluminum heat sheild mounted with 1/4" nylon spacers under the facia and it will be at least 1/4" from the tips. Will have a heat sheild for the spare tire that will also direct some air around the tips. I'll add hangers on each side of the hitch to line it up.
Greg

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really like the way it looks, but I don't like the extra bends in it to make it work, might not make to much difference in performance, then again maybe it will. I'll bet it will sound great though. Yup " I like it "!!!!
Not really adding any bends since the stock pipes both have an S curve between the rear hangers and the tips. I'm not concerned about adding performance, truck is a cruiser not a hot rod. I suspect it won't make any difference in the sound. I'm mainly going for a unique look.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,463 Posts
I like the look! Good luck on the project!

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I have been contemplating what to do with my exhaust tips for a while. I wanted to do something different than bigger stock tips.
I found and purchased an Aftermarket 93-02 Camaro center exhaust kit. It turns out it will fit right up to the two pipes right behind the hangers and tuck nicely under the hitch and behind the Spare Tire. (No, I don't use the hitch and don't plan to)
I also found a perfect bumper which I will modify to fit the new exhaust outlet. My current bumper has a previous repair and a lousy paint job and I wanted to replace it anyway. A little ABS filling and welding, heating and molding.....

I tool a B&W photo of the back of the truck and mocked up the modification on paper.
This will be my next project on the SSR!
Modified Bumper Ready for paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
Looks good Greg - I bet once the paint is on it will look great. I was on the fence earlier but now falling to the Like Side.

Greg

:yellow:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts