Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:|

Yes, I have read both the "how to" from Josh regarding the LED light installs. I've also read the similar "how to" from Dicktators file.

Both suggest pulling (straight out)...........but there was mention of "clips".......does that suggest some kind of retainer versus just as I want to think......it is just alignment guides on the back side of the bar.

My LED installs have come to a screeching halt..........no problems really till I got to the damn park/grill lights. My grill bar is the totally chrome version (although its still plastic) and I've managed to get the velcro ends loose, but have only moved the middle portion maybe a 1/4"..........There is nothing to grab a hold of but the slick surface of the bar and really nothing to pry against that I can determine.

Is it a matter of just keep wiggling and maybe by March, it will spring loose:frown2:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
The same clip Gm used in a lot of places on the truck. Pull up an end of a door floor molding and you can see them. THEN know why you have to pull straight out. I believe there are 3 of them? Sometimes the clips stay in place and sometimes they come out still on the bar. I would grease them before they go back on the truck.

bird

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you remove two screws on top of bar? Should just pull straight out.
Give me a little credit............and NO it doesn't just pull straight out............without a lot of misc. words thrown around and much jiggling and wiggling...........but I got it out (this year) but thought it would be next year.

A little extra wiggling of the ends, finally pried the middle section loose.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Changed out my satin center bar to a chrome one recently and what I did was use a plastic pry body tool on the underside of the ends at the headlight area and pried "out" and the ends came loose and I continued prying with the plastic pry bar in the middle and the center bar was then able to be removed. Of course this was all done after the 2 screws in the top were removed. The new chrome piece came with new clips.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The same clip Gm used in a lot of places on the truck. Pull up an end of a door floor molding and you can see them. THEN know why you have to pull straight out. I believe there are 3 of them? Sometimes the clips stay in place and sometimes they come out still on the bar. I would grease them before they go back on the truck.

bird
While I currently have no plans to pull this piece off again...........I did in fact add some Vasoline to those three clips just in case it has to come off again. I found out years ago, that a little vasoline can assist in making things slide in and/or out much better.:wink2:

·
DFW TX Crew
1,435 Posts
Glad you got it figured out and pulled off without breaking anything. They do pull straight out but it will fight you till it finally gives up then you go flying across the room with the spear in your hands after it lets go....

It's like a tug of war game where you're just about to beat the other team and pulling your hardest and the other team just lets go of the rope and you go straight back..... hahaha

Happy New Year. 2018!!!

Josh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts