Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering having ceramic coating applied to the paint on my truck. I am looking at Ceramic Pro. Very pricy. Has anyone long term experience with ceramic?
I considered DIY but as I understand it there is a difference in the material available to DIY vs professional installers. Also the cost of a good orbital/variable speed polisher and my experience using one is a factor. When it comes to paint other than polishing and waxing I leave it to the Pro.

I also understand that if you screw it up it has to be sanded off.

Any thoughts or adverse experiences would be appreciated.

Jack

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
I am considering having ceramic coating applied to the paint on my truck. I am looking at Ceramic Pro. Very pricy. Has anyone long term experience with ceramic?
I considered DIY but as I understand it there is a difference in the material available to DIY vs professional installers. Also the cost of a good orbital/variable speed polisher and my experience using one is a factor. When it comes to paint other than polishing and waxing I leave it to the Pro.

I also understand that if you screw it up it has to be sanded off.

Any thoughts or adverse experiences would be appreciated.

Jack
Sometime this Spring, I plan to look into this process also. There is an outfit up the road in Wilmington that offers this kind of service. Mine is black and had a new paint job about three years ago I'm guessing without pulling out the paperwork to confirm. The paint job was well done, but there are a few scratches and stains here and there and don't come out and/or I made it worse by trying.

Depending on overall price, if this outfit can buff out the problem areas and then coat it with the process, I just may go for it. Keeping a black car/truck looking good is a large pain in the azz.

I'll be following your post to see what you have come up with on your end.:smile2:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Please do some research prior to having the coating applied. From what I have read about it when I first thought about having it done, is that it takes a considerable amount of money and effort to keep the appearance up, much more than simply waxing the existing paint. Also it has the added issues with any damage done to the coating requires a large area to have the finish reapplied. The commercials look incredible, but if your SSR isn't a trailered show car, I would think twice.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,188 Posts
A few months ago joshvette who is a detailer stated on this site it is mainly in the preparation area. If the paint is not prepared properly all the nicks, swirls etc. are locked in so I would be interested in their prep work especially on black. I also understand it still chips etc. I think everyone at that time agreed with chip touch up first and claybar and a good wax job was best. Maybe the 3m plastic coating. I don't care for that but there is no perfect way to keep the paint up. I use the DR Color Chip touch up system and wax. Works for me. Like you said Ceramic is very expensive. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
:shades:

David, we've seen this play before. It was not me but another forum member in a related post on this topic that mentioned all the scratches that he got after trying to use one of those California Duster deals.

However, one just might be able to use the duster (after) an application of this ceramic process. You should think about getting it done after a good (buff job) to remove all the existing swirls and scratches.:whistling:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts